The Student Room Group

Offers

How long does it usually take for one to find out if they have been made an offer to a UK university?

I know people applying to Oxbridge find out in late December to early January, but what about the rest of the universities?

Most American schools have applications due in January and then you find out if you are accepted in March, and schools with rolling applications usually take 1-2 months to get back to the student.

Does the length of time vary between when you turn it in (earlier as opposed to later)? Do most universities take different lengths of time to review applications or is it mostly the same? Do some of the more popular subjects take longer (such as economics)?

Thanks!
Reply 1
There's no hard and fast rule, every department and every university in the country has a different policy. Universities are supposed to inform candidates of their decision by the 31st of March, but they have until the end of May (if I remember correctly), so if you apply in September (especially for popular courses such as Law, Medicine, History and Economics to give a few examples), you could be waiting for a long time.
Reply 2
It really varies alot from uni to uni. I applied in October last year. The fastest to get back to me was Sheffield, who I think gave me an offer after about a month. The slowest was Warwick, who gave me an offer in March, I think it was a couple of days before the deadline (they sent me a letter inviting me to an open day the next day, which I wasn't too impressed about as I don't exactly live near to Warwick). The reason Warwick took so long is that they wait until after the deadline for applying so they can compare everyone fairly, and I think some other unis do this too.
I had my first offer 3 months after (December) I applied (September) and that was for BioMed Sci at Cardiff.

My last reply was from Cardiff again but for Medicine. This was exactly 6 months after I applied!

The majority came thru in January for me tho and this was from KCL, S'ton, Leicester and BSMS.

It will also be dependent on your course and how many people will be applying. I know people who had all 6 offers come back by January, even though they sent their apps. off at November time.
Reply 4
All depends on the uni n the course, the more popular ur course is the longer u have to wait.
Last year I got my offer from Manchester after 2 weeks, then 3 weeks for Aston, Nottingham took like a month Birmingham roughly a month n a half. It took LSE 3 months n a half to give me a rejection (oh well) then 4 months after I applied I got an offer from Warwick. So it's all varies really.

edit: I sent my application in November.
Reply 5
I had all my offers by January. I had applied in late September. The first offer I had got was Nottingham was in November.
It completely depends on the uni and the course. I applied for French and Spanish on the 13th October. The first uni to give me an offer was Royal Holloway about 2 weeks later, then I got offers from Sheffield, Bristol and Exeter in November, then I got a rejection from Durham in December and then finally an offer from Cambridge in January. So the whole process took about 2 and a half months for me.
Reply 7
Depends on the uni and the course and the application.

I got all six of my offers in one month, but I had friends waiting for about 6 months.

Latest

Trending

Trending