The Student Room Group

STEP Maths I,II,III 1987 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by SimonM
STEP III, Question 1

Spoiler

Just a trivial point, you may need to include the positive number 1 in your proof. Since (0)!/1=1, 1 divides (1-1)!. So 1 is not in the required set.
Reply 261
Can someone please upload the sketches for STEP III question 11? I don't see why the three cases should be different :confused:
Reply 262
Original post by brianeverit
Paer III nos 12-15
A few errors have been found. Revised solutions are question 13 in post no.240

question 14 in post no.242

Question 12 solution: line 7. what happens to 8α(l2+a2)ωδl?8\alpha(l^2+a^2)\omega \delta l?
Reply 263
1987 Paper 2 no.11

Final answer here should be
μ=sinθtanα \mu = \sin{\theta} \tan{\alpha} instead of cosθ \cos{\theta}

It seems to be just an algebra error in the cross product. Note that now if θ\theta is zero, μ\mu is also zero, as it should be.

I found your answer insightful but I have a less complex way to construct it:

The projection of the weight of the rod onto the line of greatest slope in the plane of the ring is Wsinα W\sin{\alpha} .

Taking the centre of the ring, O, as the pivot point, we can just take moments first in the plane of the ring and then perpendicular to it:
(Wsinα)(b2sinθ)=fa\left(W \sin{\alpha}\right) \left(\frac{b}{2} \sin{\theta}\right) = fa

(Wcosα)b2=Na\left(W\cos{\alpha}\right) \frac{b}{2} = Na

Replacing ff with μN\mu N and dividing the two equations gives the same answer as above.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 264
Can someone here please explain the last part for Question 5, STEP 1, 1987 paper. I dont understand the solution. Thanks in advance
Is there a mistake in the solution for Question 10, Step 1, 1987 paper? When solving for the modulus of elasticity, the author divided the extension by 2*pi, it should be 2arcsin(1/2) instead of arcsin(1/2).

Thanks in advance.
Original post by josephtsui
Is there a mistake in the solution for Question 10, Step 1, 1987 paper? When solving for the modulus of elasticity, the author divided the extension by 2*pi, it should be 2arcsin(1/2) instead of arcsin(1/2).

Thanks in advance.

I do agree that there is an error in the solution.Here is my amended solution (without the diagram)
Resolving vertically, 2Tcosθ=mg2T\cos\theta=mg
and sinθ=1x\sin\theta=\frac{1}{x} so cosθ=(x21)x\cos\theta=\frac{\sqrt(x^2-1)}{x}
Length of unstretched string=π+2arcsin1x+2(x21)\pi+2\arcsin\frac{1}{x}+2\sqrt(x^2-1)
So by Hooke's law, T=λ(2θ+2(x21)π)2πT=\frac{\lambda(2\theta+2\sqrt(x^2-1)-\pi)}{2\pi}
i.e.mg2cosθ=λπ(θ+(x21)π2)\mathrm{i.e.}\frac{mg}{2\cos \theta}=\frac{ \lambda}{\pi}\left(\theta+\sqrt(x^2-1)- \frac {\pi}{2}\right)
x=2cosθ=32θ=π6x=2\rightarrow\cos\theta=\frac{\sqrt3}{2}\rightarrow\theta=\frac{\pi}{6}
So mg3=λπ(π6+3π2)=λπ(3π3)\frac{mg}{\sqrt3}=\frac{\lambda}{\pi}\left(\frac{\pi}{6}+\sqrt3-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=\frac {\lambda}{\pi}\left(\sqrt3-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)
henceλ=mg3(3π3)=3mg9π\mathrm{hence} \lambda= \frac{mg}{\sqrt3}\left(\sqrt3-\frac{\pi}{3}\right) =\frac{3mg}{9-\pi}
Original post by coffeym
STEP I Q3

Our differential equation, referred to from here on as (*) is:

x3dvdx+x2v=1+x2v2(1+x2)v\displaystyle x^3\frac{dv}{dx}+x^2v=\frac{1+x^2v^2}{(1+x^2)v}

Let y=xv    v=yx\displaystyle y=xv \implies v=\frac{y}{x}

    dvdx=xdydxyx2\displaystyle \implies \frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{x\frac{dy}{dx}-y}{x^2}

Hence in (*):

x2dydx=x(1+y2)y(1+x2)\displaystyle x^2\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{x(1+y^2)}{y(1+x^2)}

After cancelling an xx and rearranging, (*) reduces to:

y1+y2dydx=1x(1+x2)\displaystyle \frac{y}{1+y^2}\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x(1+x^2)}

Hence, after dealing with partial fractions (which should be routine)

y1+y2dy=1xx1+x2dx\displaystyle \int{\frac{y}{1+y^2}}\,dy=\int{\frac{1}{x}-\frac{x}{1+x^2}}\,dx

Thus 12ln(1+y2)=lnx12ln(1+x2)+c\displaystyle \frac12 \ln{(1+y^2)}=\ln{|x|}-\frac12 \ln{(1+x^2)}+c

Now x=1,v=1    y=1    c=ln2x=1,v=1 \implies y=1 \implies c=\ln{2}

ln(1+y2)=ln(4x21+x2)\displaystyle \therefore \ln{(1+y^2)}=\ln{\left(\frac{4x^2}{1+x^2}\right)}

    1+x2v2=4x21+x2\displaystyle \implies 1+x^2v^2=\frac{4x^2}{1+x^2}

    x2v2=3x211+x2\displaystyle \implies x^2v^2=\frac{3x^2-1}{1+x^2}

    v2=31+x21x2(1+x2)\displaystyle \implies v^2=\frac{3}{1+x^2}-\frac{1}{x^2(1+x^2)}

Hence as x,v0x \to \infty, v \to 0

This completes the question, although I would like someone to have a quick scan for errors as I did this quite roughly.

wow thats somne mad academics
Original post by abra-cad-abra
wow thats somne mad academics

Looks o.k. if you correct the latex errors in lines 7 and 9, though I think you should give
v=1x4x21+x21=1x3x211+x2 v=\frac{1}{x} \sqrt { \frac{4x^2}{1+x^2}-1}= \frac{1}{x} \sqrt{ \frac{3x^2-1}{1+x^2} } since question asks for the solution v(x)
Original post by kabbers
Q I/8:

don't blame me for any mistakes, i've learnt c3&4 myself in the past month and a bit, still a little slow in some areas! :wink: please check for any!

part one : [thanks nota bene!]: x = 1/t will not work when x = 0, which is sure to happen since the integration is between bounds of -1 & 1.

Part two part one:

Integrate 111(1+x2)2dx\displaystyle\int^1_{-1} \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2} \, \mathrm{d}x

Let's try a substitution of xx with tanθtan\theta

Thus

x=tanθx = tan\theta
dxdθ=sec2θ\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}\theta} = sec^2 \theta
dx=sec2θdθ\mathrm{d}x = sec^2 \theta \cdot \mathrm{d}\theta

Find the bounds of the new integral:
1=tanθ1 = tan\theta, so the top one will be π/4\pi/4
1=tanθ-1 = tan\theta, so the bottom one will be π/4-\pi/4

Perform the substitution:

=π/4π/4sec2θ(1+tan2θ)2dθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} \frac{sec^2 \theta}{(1+tan^2 \theta)^2} \, \mathrm{d}\theta

tan2θ+1=sec2θtan^2 \theta + 1 = sec^2 \theta , so:

=π/4π/4sec2θsec4θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} \frac{sec^2 \theta}{sec^4 \theta} \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=π/4π/41sec2θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} \frac{1}{sec^2 \theta} \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=π/4π/4cos2θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} cos^2 \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Use the identity cos2θ=cos2θsin2θcos 2\theta = cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta, cos2θ=0.5(cos(2θ)+1)=0.5cos(2θ)+0.5cos^2 \theta = 0.5(cos (2\theta) + 1) = 0.5cos (2\theta) + 0.5

=π/4π/40.5cos(2θ)+0.5dθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} 0.5cos (2\theta) + 0.5 \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=[0.25sin(2θ)+0.5θ]π/4π/4=[0.25sin (2\theta) + 0.5\theta]^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4}

=0.5+π/4= 0.5 + \pi/4

Part two part two:

Integrate 11t2(1+t2)2dt\displaystyle\int^1_{-1} \frac{-t^2}{(1+t^2)^2} \, \mathrm{d}t

Let's try (again) a substitution of tt with tanθtan\theta

Thus

t=tanθt = tan\theta
dtdθ=sec2θ\frac{\mathrm{d}t}{\mathrm{d}\theta} = sec^2 \theta
dt=sec2θdθ\mathrm{d}t = sec^2 \theta \cdot \mathrm{d}\theta

Find the bounds of the new integral:

t=tanθt = tan\theta
1=tanθ1 = tan\theta, so the top one will be π/4\pi/4
1=tanθ-1 = tan\theta, so the bottom one will be π/4-\pi/4

Perform the substitution:

=11tan2θ(1+tan2θ)2dt=\displaystyle\int^{1}_{-1} \frac{-tan^2 \theta}{(1+tan^2 \theta)^2} \, \mathrm{d}t

=π/4π/4tan2θsec4θsec2θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} \frac{-tan^2 \theta}{sec^4 \theta} \cdot sec^2\theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=π/4π/4tan2θsec2θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} \frac{-tan^2 \theta}{sec^2 \theta} \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=π/4π/4tan2θcos2θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} -tan^2\theta \cdot cos^2 \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=π/4π/4sin2θdθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} -sin^2 \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Use the identity cos2θ=cos2θsin2θcos 2\theta = cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta, sin2θ=0.5(1cos(2θ))=0.5cos(2θ)+0.5sin^2 \theta = 0.5(1 - cos (2\theta)) = - 0.5cos (2\theta) + 0.5

=π/4π/4(0.5cos(2θ)+0.5)dθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} -(-0.5cos (2\theta) + 0.5) \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=π/4π/40.5cos(2θ)0.5dθ=\displaystyle\int^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4} 0.5cos (2\theta) - 0.5 \, \mathrm{d}\theta

=[0.25sin(2θ)0.5θ]π/4π/4=[0.25sin (2\theta) - 0.5\theta]^{\pi/4}_{-\pi/4}

=0.5π/4= 0.5 - \pi/4

for part 1 of the question can you just explain t is undefined at x=0 which is in the range . or ddo you have to say this and algebraicaly show that the first integral does become the second itnegral but still because of the substituon undefined at x=0 it wont work
STEP I numbers 13-16
Again if anyone could check them I would be most grateful.

For q13 you have to draw an x=t graph.

how can you have negative time on yours?

and for x<0 surely you cant use the initial conditions for x=0.
(edited 10 years ago)
STEP I numbers 13-16
Again if anyone could check them I would be most grateful.

you say the pdf is 2/pi and then go on to use 1/pi? for q 13

im afraid i disagree in my approach to the question. i said X=sqrt(2-2x) and x is unform and has pdf 1/2 on [-1,1] which got me to E(X)=4/3

your approach looks fine and mine looks suitable to me. where have i gone wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)
1987 STEP I number 11
Just spotted a mistake in my solution in post number 166 so here is the revised version.

Resolving radially for circular motion mgcosθR=mv2r \text{Resolving radially for circular motion }mg\cos \theta-R=\dfrac{mv^2}{r}
By conservation of energy 12mv2=mgr(1cosθ) so mgcosθR=2mg(1cosθ) \text{By conservation of energy }\dfrac{1}{2} mv^2=mgr(1- \cos \theta) \text{ so }mg \cos \theta-R=2mg(1- \cos \theta)
R=mg(3cosθ2) \Rightarrow R=mg(3 \cos \theta-2)
particle loses contact when R=0 i.e. θ=arccos23 which is the angle of the velocity to the horizontal\text{particle loses contact when }R=0 \text{ i.e. } \theta=\text{arc}\cos \dfrac{2}{3} \text{ which is the angle of the velocity to the horizontal}
From start, particle now falls a distance 2r so loss of potential energy is 2mgr \text{From start, particle now falls a distance }2r \text{ so loss of potential energy is }2mgr
horizontal component of velocity is vcosθ=2v3 so if vertical component is V then gain in kinetic energy is  \text{horizontal component of velocity is }v \cos \theta=\dfrac{2v}{3} \text{ so if vertical component is }V \text{ then gain in kinetic energy is }
12m(4v29+V2) and v2=2gr(1cosθ)=23gr \dfrac{1}{2}m\left(\dfrac{4v^2}{9}+V^2 \right)\text{ and } v^2=2gr(1- \cos \theta)=\dfrac{2}{3}gr
hence 4v29+V2=4grV2=4(grv29) so V2=4gr(1227)=100gr27V=103gr3 \text{hence }\dfrac{4v^2}{9}+V^2=4gr \Rightarrow V^2=4 \left(gr-\dfrac{v^2}{9} \right) \text{ so }V^2=4gr\left(1-\dfrac{2}{27} \right)=\dfrac{100gr}{27} \Rightarrow V=\dfrac{10}{3} \sqrt{ \dfrac{gr}{3}}
Unparseable latex formula:

\text{so vertical component of momentu at floor is }\dfrac{10m}{3}\sqrt \dfrac{gr}{3}}

why do you consider gpe from the start rather than the point at whcih the ball loses contact as it is there that it has that horizontal component of velocity
1987 STEP I number 13
Just spotted a mistake in my solution in post number 167 so here is the revised version.
For x0,md2xdt2=mμ2xd2xdt2+μ2x=0x=Acosμt+Bsinmut \text{For }x \geq 0, m\dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-m \mu^2x \Rightarrow \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\mu^2x=0 \Rightarrow x=A \cos \mu t+B \sin |mu t
at t=0,x=0 and dxdt=v0 so A=0 and B=v0μ i.e. x=v0μsinμt \text{at }t=0,x=0 \text{ and } \dfrac{dx}{dt}=v_0 \text{ so }A=0 \text{ and }B=\dfrac{v_0}{\mu} \text{ i.e. }x= \dfrac{v_0}{\mu} \sin \mu t
For x<0,d2xdt2=κdxdtd2xdt2+κdxdt=0x=C+Deκt \text{For }x<0, \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-\kappa \dfrac{dx}{dt} \Rightarrow \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\kappa \dfrac{dx}{dt}=0 \Rightarrow x=C+D\text{e}^{-\kappa t}

\text{at }t= \dfrac{\pi}{\mu}, x=o \text{ and } \dfrac{dx}{dt}=-v_0 \text{ so } C+D \text{e}^{-\frac{\kappa \pi}{\mu}}=0\text{ and }- \kappa D\text{e}^{-\frac{\kappa \pi}{\mu} }=-v_0 [br]\text{ so }D=\dfrac{v_0}{\kappa}\text{e}^[\frac{\kappa \pi}{\mu} }\text { and }C=-\dfrac{v_0}{\kappa}

and so x=v0κ[eκ(πμ1)1]\text{and so }x= \dfrac{v_0}{\kappa} \left[ \text{e}^{\kappa(\frac{\pi}{\mu}-1)}-1\right]

1987 STEP I number 13
Just spotted a mistake in my solution in post number 167 so here is the revised version.
For x0,md2xdt2=mμ2xd2xdt2+μ2x=0x=Acosμt+Bsinmut \text{For }x \geq 0, m\dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-m \mu^2x \Rightarrow \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\mu^2x=0 \Rightarrow x=A \cos \mu t+B \sin |mu t
at t=0,x=0 and dxdt=v0 so A=0 and B=v0μ i.e. x=v0μsinμt \text{at }t=0,x=0 \text{ and } \dfrac{dx}{dt}=v_0 \text{ so }A=0 \text{ and }B=\dfrac{v_0}{\mu} \text{ i.e. }x= \dfrac{v_0}{\mu} \sin \mu t
For x<0,d2xdt2=κdxdtd2xdt2+κdxdt=0x=C+Deκt \text{For }x<0, \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-\kappa \dfrac{dx}{dt} \Rightarrow \dfrac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\kappa \dfrac{dx}{dt}=0 \Rightarrow x=C+D\text{e}^{-\kappa t}

\text{at }t= \dfrac{\pi}{\mu}, x=o \text{ and } \dfrac{dx}{dt}=-v_0 \text{ so } C+D \text{e}^{-\frac{\kappa \pi}{\mu}}=0\text{ and }- \kappa D\text{e}^{-\frac{\kappa \pi}{\mu} }=-v_0 [br]\text{ so }D=\dfrac{v_0}{\kappa}\text{e}^[\frac{\kappa \pi}{\mu} }\text { and }C=-\dfrac{v_0}{\kappa}

and so x=v0κ[eκ(πμ1)1]\text{and so }x= \dfrac{v_0}{\kappa} \left[ \text{e}^{\kappa(\frac{\pi}{\mu}-1)}-1\right]

just seen this. agree with redone conditions

but again how have you drawn the graph. negative time???

and doesnt it fluctuate between x>=0 and x<0 every pi/u and kpi/u so you would have to draw a section of the graph?
For q13 you have to draw an x=t graph.

how can you have negative time on yours?

and for x<0 surely you cant use the initial conditions for x=0.

The particle was moving before the time started to be recorded so I believe
you say the pdf is 2/pi and then go on to use 1/pi? for q 13

im afraid i disagree in my approach to the question. i said X=sqrt(2-2x) and x is unform and has pdf 1/2 on [-1,1] which got me to E(X)=4/3

your approach looks fine and mine looks suitable to me. where have i gone wrong?

How do you get X=sqrt(2-2x)? What is x? If it is a trig function then it is not uniform.
How do you get X=sqrt(2-2x)? What is x? If it is a trig function then it is not uniform.

no i said the point on x axis has uniform distribution. the y coord for each x is sqrt(1-x^2) or the negative of this but as the point from which we are measuring distance on lies on x axis we can just consider y>0

then i used pythagoras to get a general function for distance from (1,0) to (x,sqrt(x^2-1)

it gave some pretty close answers to urs but clearly very different
The particle was moving before the time started to be recorded so I believe

what is on your x axis and what on your y axis
no i said the point on x axis has uniform distribution. the y coord for each x is sqrt(1-x^2) or the negative of this but as the point from which we are measuring distance on lies on x axis we can just consider y>0

then i used pythagoras to get a general function for distance from (1,0) to (x,sqrt(x^2-1)

it gave some pretty close answers to urs but clearly very different

The distance measured on the x axis does NOT have a uniform distribution.
It is the distance measured along the curve that has one.
The distance measured on the x axis does NOT have a uniform distribution.
It is the distance measured along the curve that has one.

What do you mean by the distance measured on the x axis?

as the question says a point is chosen randomly. meaning their x coorcdinate is chosen randomly on [-1,1] so there is an equal probability for all values on this domain which is the whole domain considered int he question.

so x has uniform distribution 1/2 on [-1,1] . im not saying the distance has uniform distribution, rather the x-coord of the point has uniform distribution. which is surely correct no, thats just what you have done with theta

from this g(x)=sqrt(2-2x). and we want E[g(x)] and Var[g(x)]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending