The Student Room Group

STEP Maths I,II,III 1987 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

DFranklin
More from apocryphal stories than anything else. Though I'm sure I've seen the occasional churlish examiners report saying something like:

[indent]despite a very similar question being asked in 27BC, the vast majority of candidates attempting this question failed to spot that 6271888543106341 factors as 238829 x 26261000729 and therefore made little progress...[/indent]

Haha, I can easily imagine that as well. :biggrin:

DFranklin
Judging by reactions, it seems this question is pretty tough for STEP I!

It's similar to the first part of Q4 of the 1990 STEP III paper, so it's not surprising. Strangely, I probably found the first bit the most difficult.
DFranklin
I'm having a certain amount of difficulty working out what you're actually trying to do here (more me being tired than any fault on your part).

I'm equally tired, and it is my fault, because you just made me realise it is easier to get a sum in a nice closed form if I apply the limits! :rolleyes:
If you can get things down to an actual formula, I'll plug it into my computer here and see if it does at least agree numerically.
Judging by reactions, it seems this question is pretty tough for STEP I!

I'll type it up in 5 min, hold on whilst I'm latexing!

And well, the question certainly requires a lot of fiddling, and is very easy to make small slips on. But it is really a nice question.

Working: By earlier argument sin(2223π)=sin(123π) \sin(\frac{22}{23}\pi)=\sin(\frac{1}{23}\pi) and by symmetry follows that sin(4423π)=sin(223π)\sin(\frac{44}{23}\pi)=- \sin(\frac{2}{23}\pi)
Putting k=10 into my above general formula we have cos(2223π)sin(2223π)cos(223π)\displaystyle\frac{\cos( \frac{22}{23} \pi) \sin( \frac{22}{23}\pi)}{ \cos( \frac{2}{23} \pi)} = sin(4423π)2cos(223π) \frac{ \sin( \frac{44}{23} \pi)}{2 \cos( \frac{2}{23} \pi)}[using the product formula for cos(a)sin(b)] And the top of that fraction is equal to sin(223π)- \sin(\frac{2}{23}\pi) and thus the required answer in 12tan(223π)-\frac{1}{2}\tan(\frac{2}{23}\pi)
Reply 142
nota bene
I'm equally tired, and it is my fault, because you just made me realise it is easier to get a sum in a nice closed form if I apply the limits! :rolleyes:

I'll type it up in 5 min, hold on whilst I'm latexing!

And well, the question certainly requires a lot of fiddling, and is very easy to make small slips on. But it is really a nice question.

Working: By earlier argument sin(2223)=sin(123) \sin(\frac{22}{23})=\sin(\frac{1}{23}) and therefore follows that sin(4423)=sin(223)\sin(\frac{44}{23})=\sin(\frac{2}{23})
Putting k=10 into my above general formula we have cos(2223π)sin(2223)cos(223π)\displaystyle\frac{\cos( \frac{22}{23} \pi) \sin( \frac{22}{23})}{ \cos( \frac{2}{23} \pi)} = sin(4423π)2cos(223π) \frac{ \sin( \frac{44}{23} \pi)}{2 \cos( \frac{2}{23} \pi)}[using the product formula for cos(a)sin(b)] And the top of that fraction is equal to sin(223π)\sin(\frac{2}{23}\pi) and thus the required answer in tan(223π)\tan(\frac{2}{23}\pi)

Not quite.
Nota, you're not going to believe what you've just done again when you recheck that!

(There's also a sign error, you've said something = sin(2pi/23) when it doesn't...)
ukgea
Not quite.

Damn, that factor of 1/2 again, that's the second time...:s-smilie:
DFranklin
Nota, you're not going to believe what you've just done again when you recheck that!

(There's also a sign error, you've said something = sin(2pi/23) when it doesn't...)

Haha, yeah - I know! I think I need someone to tell me 'eeep, not finished' when writing tests, I seem to fail to do anything 100% right...

Hopefully it's all correct by now:smile:
nota bene
Haha, yeah - I know! I think I need someone to tell me 'eeep, not finished' when writing tests, I seem to fail to do anything 100% right...
It's times like this you think "fortunately, I no longer have to worry about sitting STEP anymore!".

Hopefully it's all correct by now:smile:
Well, your answers agree with mine! :smile:
STEP III, Q4.

Spoiler

Easiest STEP question I've ever seen.
Dystopia
STEP III, Q4.

Spoiler

Easiest STEP question I've ever seen.
It's still not as easy as the "sum of logs" question on STEP I 1987, but it's very easy for STEP III. As I said before, the question difficulty for 1987 seems all over the place. Though later years also have the occasional surprisingly easy question making it onto STEP III. I remember in particular a "find the length of a cycloid" question that was very short (and I still managed to get wrong :rolleyes: ).
STEP III, Q5.

Spoiler

STEP III, Q6.

x+2x5y=0x+2x5y=0x' + 2x - 5y = 0 \Rightarrow x'' + 2x' - 5y' = 0

y=2cost+2yaxy' = 2\cos t + 2y - ax

x+2x10cost10y+5ax=0x'' + 2x' - 10\cos t - 10y + 5ax = 0

5y=x+2x5y = x' + 2x

x+2x10cost2x4x+5ax=0x'' + 2x' - 10\cos t - 2x' - 4x + 5ax = 0

x+(5a4)x=10costx'' + (5a - 4)x = 10\cos t

a=1x+x=10costa = 1 \Rightarrow x'' + x = 10\cos t

CF: λ2+1=0λ=±i\lambda^{2} + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow \lambda = \pm i

x=Acost+Bsintx = A\cos t + B\sin t

PI: Normally we would suggest a solution of the form Pcost+QsintP\cos t + Q\sin t However, both of these are part of the CF, so instead suppose x=Ptcost+Qtsintx = Pt\cos t + Qt\sin t

x=PcostPtsint+Qsint+Qtcostx' = P\cos t - Pt\sin t + Q\sin t + Qt\cos t
x=PsintPsintPtcost+Qcost+QcostQtcostx'' = -P\sin t - P\sin t - Pt\cos t + Q\cos t + Q\cos t - Qt\cos t

Putting these into the equation we get

2P=0,  2Q=10P=0,  Q=5-2P = 0, \; 2Q= 10 \Rightarrow P = 0, \; Q=5

Therefore the solution is x=Acost+(B+5t)sintx = A\cos t + (B + 5t)\sin t

Using the initial conditions, we get A=0,  B=5A = 0, \; B=-5

Therefore the particular solution is x=5(t1)sint,  y=t(2sint+cost)(sint+cost)x = 5(t - 1)\sin t, \; y=t(2\sin t + \cos t) - (\sin t + \cos t)

If a > 1, the complementary function would be of the form Acos(αt)+Bsin(αt),  α>1A\cos(\alpha t) + B\sin(\alpha t), \; \alpha > 1. Therefore, the particular integral would not have to include t, and the solutions for x and y would also not include it.
Reply 151
Gonna update the first post later this evening, about to pop out just now.
STEP III, Q10

Spoiler

Interesting question.

DFranklin
It's still not as easy as the "sum of logs" question on STEP I 1987, but it's very easy for STEP III. As I said before, the question difficulty for 1987 seems all over the place. Though later years also have the occasional surprisingly easy question making it onto STEP III. I remember in particular a "find the length of a cycloid" question that was very short (and I still managed to get wrong :rolleyes: ).

Ah, well; haven't had a look at that one yet. :p:
Have solution to I/14 will type up tomorrow

edit:

Spoiler

Nice little question.
I've done STEP III, Q1, but I shall hold off posting as someone else might want to give it a try; as DFranklin said, it doesn't require Further Maths knowledge.

Square
Gonna update the first post later this evening, about to pop out just now.

That's good, although there still appear to be some mistakes/omissions. If you're busy I could make the corrections and PM it to you?
Reply 155
Hmm, Yeah some of the links seem to be dead, I'll sort it now.
If Square wants me to I can update the OP (I'm a mod, so I can edit his post)
Reply 157
Sure thing I don't mind at all.

II/6 is a dead link and I can't find the post so I'm thinking I maybe listed it there in error, but other than that the rest seem to be working. I don't think I have missed out anyone's solutions, if I have I'm sorry!
Square
Sure thing I don't mind at all.

II/6 is a dead link and I can't find the post so I'm thinking I maybe listed it there in error, but other than that the rest seem to be working. I don't think I have missed out anyone's solutions, if I have I'm sorry!

STEP I, Q5

STEP II, Q6

Apart from those two it looks fine.
Reply 159
Okay, I'm working on III/8.

I've proven (although it's abit messy) that the area of a paralellogram is maximum when its diagonals are perpendicular. I'm now working on the second part of the first part, if that makes sense.

The second part though I have no clue what it is on about. Sets?

If it's something that requires knowledge I don't know then fair enough.

Kinda hard to post working without diagrams for this one as well.

EDIT: Hmmmmmm, I think I may have just found a fatal flaw :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending