The Student Room Group

job in bookstores, waterstones

hi, i will be a UCL student this spetember and was wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting a part-time job at book-stores such as Waterstones, etc...i dont want a job over the chirstmass break but rather through the term while uni is still open...i went on to their website and they dont seem to state any specific job openings..also i've heard its really hard to get jobs in these book-store, how true is this for students who want jobs during the term?

any information would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Reply 1
I used to work for waterstones until last month, so here goes....

Working for waterstones is great, if you can get in!! It's difficult to get a job because so many people want to work for them, in term time we used to get 2/3 people a day asking about vacancies/handing in cvs and thats when we weren't even advertising! The best way, undoubtedly to get a job is to apply for a xmas temp job. Christmas is the biggest intake of new staff and you stand a much better chance if you apply at christmas. Waterstones are very picky about who they employ so if you haven't got any previous retail or (indeally bookselling experience) xmas is best. Most branches are fairly flexible about hours, even during term time. They employ lots of students, so the best thing is to ask at your local branch and keep your eyes peeled for any ads in the windows (they're normally only up for a few days), it's also worth downloading the application form from the website and handing that in anyway.

Hope this helps, any other questions let me know
kat1311
Reply 2
My friend actually just recently got a job there-part-time. Try the store in Oxford Street and go to the bald guy with the reeeealy posh voice-he's really nice and will surely help you out. Good luck!
kat1311
I used to work for waterstones until last month, so here goes....

Working for waterstones is great, if you can get in!! It's difficult to get a job because so many people want to work for them, in term time we used to get 2/3 people a day asking about vacancies/handing in cvs and thats when we weren't even advertising! The best way, undoubtedly to get a job is to apply for a xmas temp job. Christmas is the biggest intake of new staff and you stand a much better chance if you apply at christmas. Waterstones are very picky about who they employ so if you haven't got any previous retail or (indeally bookselling experience) xmas is best. Most branches are fairly flexible about hours, even during term time. They employ lots of students, so the best thing is to ask at your local branch and keep your eyes peeled for any ads in the windows (they're normally only up for a few days), it's also worth downloading the application form from the website and handing that in anyway.

Hope this helps, any other questions let me know
kat1311

why do so many people wanna work there . . .i picked up an application form but not cos i was desperate to wrk there but just cos i was desperate for a job so i'd be prepared to work at any retail outlet. is the pay good or something ??
Reply 4
Good company ethos. The brand is well respected and staff perks pretty decent. Compare it to the other options (supermarkets, etc) they do pretty well. Part of the HMV Group, I believe.

Latest

Trending

Trending