The Student Room Group

Advice on self teaching AS AQA (B) biology??

hi everyone, i wanted some advice on self teaching AQA (B) biology..

I enrol on Monday and unfortunately Biology clashes with English Literature. Therefore, I wish to do biology at home.. I've already bought the books and after briefly looking at them it is clear that AS Bio is a big step compared to GCSE. However, it seems that it's just loads of information and I feel that if I work hard and cover everything I can achieve a A.

Any advice on this and has anyone self taught AQA (B) biology??

Bearing in mind I am also going to be doing Chemistry, History, English Literature and P.E.. How hard would I have to work??? I am prepared to work hard and my biology teacher at school will be willing to help me if at any stage I become stuck.

Can I do this??? I'll work very hard and I did get A*A* for double Science although this is nothing compared to AS. I'll use my free time in school to do biology and as I said my biology teacher will help me on any tricky concepts..

Advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 1
i learnt most of the material at home for biology(edexcel) -as the teaching at my school was quite poor-i came out with an A
i would say do a lot of past papers and practice exam technique

also print off the specification for biology to make sure you are revising all that you are supposed to and your revising the correct things

i think that biology is one of the subjects that you can self teach-theres alot to memorise but it will be ok as long as you dont do last minute revision.

well done on your gcse grades!
5 as levels wil be hard work-but if you work hard then it wil be fine:smile:
best of luck
Reply 2
It's certainly manageable
A girl from my year dropped out of our AS AQA Biol B class and taught herself at home- she came out with a high B.
You may need to pop into some classes though for coursework reasons, such as getting experiment results.

Latest