The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College - Entry Requirements

I was looking at Imperial Colleges entry requirements and it didnt even mention a GCSE A*-C in Maths or Science, it just said that the only neccessary requirement was a A*-C in English and AAAB AAAA type a-level results.

Can anyone shed light on why this is? Usually i've seen entry requirements as English, Maths and Science at A*-C GCSE level.
Reply 1
Is this in general or is this for a specific subject. Should be moved to Imperial
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
villageoaf2000
Can anyone shed light on why this is? Usually i've seen entry requirements as English, Maths and Science at A*-C GCSE level.

It's up to the individual universities to decide on this, so the requirements they set may differ. Oxford, for example, has no official requirements concerning GCSE subjects or grades and only demands 'evidence of an appropriate educational background and good standards of literacy and numeracy'.
This may not be true for every subject.. but in Aero Eng which I applied for..

Was predicted:

AAAB for A-levels
had a C in AS ICT

GCSE's:A*AAAABBB

Rejected due to GCSE grades not being high enough..

What a heap of ****.. Glad I didnt get in.. going to Loughborough :cool:
Reply 4
They actually told you GCSE not high enough?
Reply 5
wais
They actually told you GCSE not high enough?

yeh init lol. Thats a first! Surely imperial isnt turning into LSE!
Reply 6
LoZEr
yeh init lol. Thats a first! Surely imperial isnt turning into LSE!

Well they may not be as bad as LSE, but they do have considerably high standards.
Reply 7
Yea but they're not usually GCSE related.
Reply 8
wais

True, but i'm sure they have some form GCSE requirement. For example the maths dept say they expect most of your GCSE's to be either an A* or A.
Reply 9
well in gcse I got 5 A's 4 B's 2 C's and AAAC in AS, and I got accepted into imperial for computing!
I guess there is none for computing, all the needed of me was the bloody gcse english grade. Had to do it here, the rest of my results are not standard gcse's since I come from Latvia.
Reply 11
I haven't done any GCSEs either since I'm Swedish, but I had to do IELTS instead of gcse English. They saw my results from Swedish secondary school though and they are pretty good, but I don't know if they cared. This is for maths.
wais

i have only 2 A*, 5As and 2 Bs for my GCSE's. I will apply to imperial for either medicine or maths/engineering.

Now, im worried if they are rejecting people for having not so high GCSE grades.

(BTW, i came to uk in year 10 after 8-9 years in abroad..so getting those GCSE's was my greatest achievement)
Reply 13
I hate the fact that universities are resorting to GCSEs as a means of differentiating between candidates. Surely if you have a B or C in a subject at GCSE, but your AS grade and A2 prediction for that subject clearly indicate a much higher level of ability, then the GCSE grade becomes irrelevent?
Reply 14
Rickard.N
I haven't done any GCSEs either since I'm Swedish, but I had to do IELTS instead of gcse English. They saw my results from Swedish secondary school though and they are pretty good, but I don't know if they cared. This is for maths.

Yeah, I took the TOEFL before they ask me to take an English test, but it's like everyone else takes IELTS.

Has anyone taken the TOEFL like me?
Reply 15
hmm what are the requirement s now
Reply 16
Original post by SilentGirl
i have only 2 A*, 5As and 2 Bs for my GCSE's. I will apply to imperial for either medicine or maths/engineering.

Now, im worried if they are rejecting people for having not so high GCSE grades.

(BTW, i came to uk in year 10 after 8-9 years in abroad..so getting those GCSE's was my greatest achievement)

ur gcses r def not high enough sry :frown: im not applying to england for medicine bcuz of my gcses... maybe australia or somewhere else...
I got 4 A*s and 5As in GCSE, is that good enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending