The Student Room Group

Looking for a law gap year

Basically, I'm 17 years old (post AS, not a very old Lower 6th former) and decided now to take a gap year instead of going straight to uni. I want to 'work' at a law firm for most of the year, preferably paid, I don't really know how it works. My question is, how does it work and where do I start. I don't really know the names of london law firms. I know what I want but no idea how to get it or if it is possible. Help please.

Thanks.
hey, i dont want to put you off but you are going to find it extremely difficult to get a paid year within a law firm especially in London. Most law students cant get 2 weeks placements never mind a year. Im going into my 3rd yr and havent managed to get a placement in england...i had to go abroad and it was unpaid!! lol Are you looking for a career in law? a gap year is generally looked upon as impressive by graduate employers whatever you have done in it...it shows independance and ambition etc etc so definately have one if u have your heart set on it! x
Reply 2
Oh, fair enough. I'm not surprised I have misconceptions. My ideal year would be 'working' (tea boy, anything) at a law firm for most of the year, a holiday at the end. If that isn't possible, fine, I'll do something else. How possible is it to get any sort of experience there, I don't really mind. Unpaid, paid, anything (I'd just obviously prefer a more job-like paid one, but what do I know?).

EDIT: And yeah, I'd be looking to have a law career after uni.
im not saying its impossible, no harm in trying but dont be disappointed if u cant get anything....and i think ur crazy not minding doing unpaid work for a whole year! lol...you could try smaller local firms or, i cant rememerb what the website was called now but ile try find it later...and they organised law placements all over the world but you had to pay and i dont know what ur finances are like but that would look cool on your CV- like a 2month placvement in an OZ lawfirm or something. x
Reply 4
Ha, see how clueless I am. Anyway, I've basically decided to maybe do something in politics instead (or as well, probably the latter). Hopefully being an MPs researcher for a while. Thanks for all the help though, It'll be really useful in general for finding placements, even more so if I decide to do a couple of months in law anyway.

Latest