The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ninman
What stats does Hewitt have that Federer doesn't have? Federer has been ranked world number 1 for 111 straight weeks, he has won 7 grand slams. Only the fourth person in history to win 3 grandslams in a calendar year. Won over 50 straight matches on hard courts before he lost to Nadal. Do I need to go on?

youngest person ever to be ranked number one in the history of tennis
2nd youngest person ever to win a tornament in the history of tennis (15, beating agassi in semifinal)
youngest winner of US open
youngest qualifier at aus open
one of the longest consecutive number one rankings
last person to beat federer on grass court :smile:
last person to ever really have a chance beating federer on a grass court (quarter finals in '04)
Vintage Henman. Took his foot of the pedal as he bageled him in the first.
Reply 62
antics
youngest person ever to be ranked number one in the history of tennis
2nd youngest person ever to win a tornament in the history of tennis (15, beating agassi in semifinal)
youngest winner of US open
youngest qualifier at aus open
one of the longest consecutive number one rankings
last person to beat federer on grass court :smile:
last person to ever really have a chance beating federer on a grass court (quarter finals in '04)

and would you like to list federers stats which i havent got the time to. also if you note him being the youngest does not add up to a great deal and notice the mentions of FEDERER
plus federe destroyed him in Us open final with a 6-0 set
im not saying he is better than federer, but im saying he has got stats, achievements whatever that players like federer, agassi etc would love to have.
Reply 64
antics
im not saying he is better than federer, but im saying he has got stats, achievements whatever that players like federer, agassi etc would love to have.

yeah i see your point but i am saying that the stats that he does have are not as of great importance as some other peoples stats
ninman
Federer is truly sensational. Nadal has nothing on him.

Nadal is one of the best in the game and to say that he has nothing on Federer is rubbish as nadal has the french open that he took away from federer if u remeber.
U wait one day federer will be beaten and then it will carry on to happen and he will go down hill and may not come back up, what happens to good players is that as soon as they start losing matched they lose faith in their game and doubt techinque and try to change style of play making them worse so they end up giving up. One day federer will be old news and there will be some1 smashing his stats just the way that he is smashing other ppls stats. U may think that i am biased saying this but murray will be one to do well in the sport of tennis even though i hate his personality and is not a person win sports personality of the year. But he will do well.
Reply 67
Federer has been ranked world number 1 for 111 weeks consecutively, is only the fourth player in history to win 3 or more grand slams in a calendar year, has won 7 grand slams in total, including 3 consecutive wimbledons. He's the only player since Borg to win 3 consecutive tournaments on three different surfaces, has reached 10 finals in a row, won 25 finals in a row. Went from the Quarter Final of Wimbledon 2003 to the quarter final of Wimbledon 2004 without having his serve broken.
and who broke his serve in that quarter final!!!
who asked for any of them stats?
stop trying to cause arguements.
Reply 70
I'm not, but Federer is the most talented player that's ever lived, and will possibly be the greatest player that's ever lived. when the US open is over and Federer is declared the second player in history to do the grandslam, then we'll know it for sure.
that makes no sense, i think your still forgetting that statistic wise, sampras is the best player ever. and still considered by most as the best player ever

theres nothing to say that in a few years, maybe 10 years, maybe 20 another much better player will be on tour.
Reply 72
re-read my post, then speak.
your an idiot
Reply 74
Federer is the MOST TALENTED player ever, and COULD BE the greatest player that's ever lived. I'm not saying he is the greatest, I'm saying he has the potential to be the greatest. Like I said, read something before you speak.
For me Sampras is still the greatest but Federer is getting there.
Reply 76
The greatest player who has ever lived: Sampras
The best player who has ever lived: Federer
Reply 77
I don't think Sampras was so great. He was definately the greatest grass court player there's ever been. But he didn't have the winning consistency of Federer. It's taken Federer only 3 years to win half the number of grand slams that Sampras won over 12 years.

Sampras was a great player, but I wouldn't say he was the greatest player ever.
Reply 78
Who would you put above him?

There is a case to be put for Borg, MacEnroe, Lendl, Laver and Agassi but Sampras edges all of them imo
Reply 79
ninman
I don't think Sampras was so great. He was definately the greatest grass court player there's ever been. But he didn't have the winning consistency of Federer. It's taken Federer only 3 years to win half the number of grand slams that Sampras won over 12 years.

Sampras was a great player, but I wouldn't say he was the greatest player ever.

Of course he was great. Commanded number 1 spot in what was a very good era for tennis with a lot of challengers to Sampras. Im not saying Federer wont become the greatest because I know he will but at this moment in time he isnt.

Latest