The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ethereal
The replacement of Trident breaches non-proliferation. Your government is doing it. That is within living memeory; I am alive and I remember it.

The RSA is going to stand here and preach about the proliferation of nuclear weapons? Slightly ironic considering your 20 year clandestine nuke program which was heavily influenced by Israel, nay?
Canada welcomes shutdown of all five nuclear facilities and wishes Korea to continue taking steps towards denuclearisation including implementing the Denuclearization Action Plan agreed on February 13th.
Reply 22
Singapore warmly congratulates North Koreas and applauds their cooperation with the rest of the world
Reply 23
Apollo
The RSA is going to stand here and preach about the proliferation of nuclear weapons? Slightly ironic considering your 20 year clandestine nuke program which was heavily influenced by Israel, nay?

Clandestine nuke programe? In RSA? With the turmoil we had for years? I doubt it! Please provide some evidence for me to consider
Reply 24
Ethereal
Clandestine nuke programe? In RSA? With the turmoil we had for years? I doubt it! Please provide some evidence for me to consider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction
Reply 25
In answer, I refer the American rep to the part where it says the RSA voluntarily gave up its nuclear programme which is in line with the NPT; the only nation to do so in fact. Ergo, the RSA can claim a moral high ground here.

EDIT : [OOC] tankee for the info Apollo[/OOC]
Reply 26
That's a bit beside the point though, isn't it? You still had the program and you still were the benefactor of nuclear proliferation. It doesn't matter that you apparently thought better of it.

OOC: No prob.
Reply 27
Apollo
That's a bit beside the point though, isn't it? You still had the program and you still were the benefactor of nuclear proliferation. It doesn't matter that you apparently thought better of it.

We have decommisioned in line with the NPT. I'm not sure of your point?
Reply 28
I already stated my point: The RSA has no business preaching to us about nuclear proliferation.
Reply 29
Apollo
I already stated my point: The RSA has business preaching to us about nuclear proliferation.

If we have decommisioned in line with our NPT commitments your point fails.
Reply 30
[OOC] I happen to agree strongly with Ethereal on this particular point, however unfortunately I don't Liechtenstein does [/OOC]

The representative for liechtenstein would like to remind the represetative for RSA that the subject at hand is the North Korean nuclear programme, and that a debate on the US/UK nuclear proliferation should probably be in a seperate thread.
Reply 31
ukebert
The representative for liechtenstein would like to remind the represetative for RSA that the subject at hand is the North Korean nuclear programme, and that a debate on the US/UK nuclear proliferation should probably be in a seperate thread.

The RSA respectfully points out it is interconnected. If we are not allowed to cast a net wide enough to encompass the contradictions of country's foreign policies what is the point in discussion at all?
Reply 32
Ethereal
The RSA respectfully points out it is interconnected. If we are not allowed to cast a net wide enough to encompass the contradictions of country's foreign policies what is the point in discussion at all?

This is true, ultimately it is the choice of the representative about which course they should pursue, as long as that runs parallel to the charter. However, if discussion on one topic is leading to the topic for which the discusion was created being undiscussed, as it were, then it may be better to concentrate on that.
Australia thanks and congratulates North Korea on making a very sensible decision.
The SG urges North Korea to soon fulfil the obligations of its commitment in February:

North Korea 'to miss atomic deadline'
Reply 35
Liechtenstein echos the Secretary general's statements, and reminds North korea of the commitments that they made.
Reply 36
The USA would also like to urge North Korea to stick to its agreements.
France both urges North Korea to stick to its agreement, and all other nuclear powers to disarm in the future, making our world a safer and altogether more peaceful place.
Reply 38
Will France disarm then? If so, can we have a timetable?
France will indeed disarm as part of an international treaty, should it be passed. Until other nuclear powers have agreed to disarm, it would not be in the interests of the French people to disarm.

[OOC: Damn, forgot about that. :>.<:]

France is indeed disarming as part of it's commitment to the NPT.

Latest

Trending

Trending