The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If anyone needs a good book on feminism/women's histories (yes there are many) or anything remotely related to the topic which some of you clearly need,I can recommend this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feminist-History-Reader-Keith-Jenkins/dp/0415318106/ref=sr_1_1/202-8746696-5282234?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190660130&sr=8-1

For the record, I use they in my assignments - don't think I've ever written he or she; we're encouraged to write something like this "students are responsible for their books" rather than "each student is responsible for his books"

Standard practice in universities these days.
Reply 41
vickytoria77
If anyone needs a good book on feminism/women's histories (yes there are many) or anything remotely related to the topic which some of you clearly need,I can recommend this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feminist-History-Reader-Keith-Jenkins/dp/0415318106/ref=sr_1_1/202-8746696-5282234?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190660130&sr=8-1

For the record, I use they in my assignments - don't think I've ever written he or she; we're encouraged to write something like this "students are responsible for their books" rather than "each student is responsible for his books"

Standard practice in universities these days.

I think you might want to look over that example you gave there. :p:
Ronove
I think you might want to look over that example you gave there. :p:

It was an example taken from my student handbook - bar that, I do not use his :p:
Reply 43
vickytoria77
It was an example taken from my student handbook - bar that, I do not use his :p:

I'm pretty sure I'm not being a moron here but please say so if I am... the example should have been
" 'each student is responsible for their books' rather than 'each student is responsible for his books' ".
Ronove
I'm pretty sure I'm not being a moron here but please say so if I am... the example should have been
" 'each student is responsible for their books' rather than 'each student is responsible for his books' ".

Oh if we're talking singular and plural with direct comparisons then yes possibly - only skim read it anyway

either way - it still doesn't use his/her or he/she :p:
I love being a scientist, I've never had to worry about gender neutral language, because I have never had to write he or she in a piece of work yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending