The Student Room Group

Arts Graduate Needs Advice About her Old A levels

Hi everyone,

How do medical schools view old science A levels from arts graduates? I have AAB in chemistry history and maths with an A in A level chemistry from the early 1990s. I have a 2:i in history and an MA with distinction. I would like to apply for a place on a 5 year course but how will these old grades be viewed?

I have sat in on A level standard chemistry classes at an American university (long story) to brush up on my knowledge. Should I mention this on my personal statement?

I am planning to take AS biology in the evening. Many universities only require AS biology from an applicant who has A level chemistry. Should I reassure myself that I am meeting these entry requirements or given the fact that i am an arts graduate with old A levels, take A level biology instead? i have a pretty hectic schedule so I would prefer the AS but I don't want my application to go straight in the bin either.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I know that some universities like peninsula are not interested in A levels that are more than a few years old - -but what about the others? Has anyone had any experience of this?

Maybe some of you might have seen people like me on the GEPs but I don't want to take the GAMSAT and I prefer the 5 year programme for other reasons too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
Reply 1
My friend has a similar back ground, with a 2i in History. Her old biology A-Level was fine, but she had to take chemistry in a year to satisfy the entry requirements.

Penninsular ARE interested in A-levels more than a few years old, it's just that you have to do GAMSAT in addition.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying Fluffy. I would love to end up at Barts so your advice is most welcome. I am reassured by your friend's experience. Do you know if she had to take AS or A level Chemistry? I think I am going to be sensible and email individual admissions tutors about this.

Latest

Trending

Trending