The Student Room Group
Reply 1
cinnamon_nose
What's the different between a diploma and bachelor of science degree?

Thanks!!
well the most obvious answer is that one is a diploma and one is a degree :wink:

Effectively they both allow the same thing - to work as a nurse. At the moment you can have either or and still be able to work. They both take the same length of time (3 years).

However, the funding is slightly different and most students find they are financially better off with doing the diploma as they graduate with no student loan debt which the degree students do. If you do the diploma you can do a top up year once you've completed it, to allow you to gain a degree. This is what most people choose to do as then you only have one year of student debt
Reply 2
^question.. if you do the degree, are you going to pay for your tuition fee?
Reply 3
if you go to a Welsh university then no you dont have to pay to do the degree
Reply 4
You don't pay tutition fees for nursing wherever you go in the UK
Reply 5
Most people I know (who have thought about degree vs. AdvDip) have done the Advanced Diploma, and then topped up after graduating. I know that doesn't really add much to what Jackie S says, but basically the sums are as follows (for England not in London).

Dip/Adv Dip:

You get a non means-tested bursary (maintenance grant) of £6,372.00/year

Degree:

You get a means-tested bursary of max £2,672.00, plus extra weeks allowance (£78/week over 30 weeks and 3 days course time during the year).

You can also claim the non-income assessed portion of the student loan (even if you'd qualify for the incomed assessed part, you can't get it because of the NHS bursary).

That is approx £2,210/year which has to be paid back :frown:

I know people who've switched to the AdvDip after they got there :wink:
Reply 6
swiftuk
That is approx £2,210/year which has to be paid back :frown:

I don't get this.. :redface:
Reply 7
paperheart
I don't get this.. :redface:

"That is approx £2,210/year which has to be paid back " was referring to the non-income assessed portion of the student loan that you're allowed to claim if you're on a means-tested NHS bursary studying a degree course.
Reply 8
I am doing the degree and I get just over 6,000 because I am in Wales and this isn't means tested.
Reply 9
swiftuk
"That is approx £2,210/year which has to be paid back " was referring to the non-income assessed portion of the student loan that you're allowed to claim if you're on a means-tested NHS bursary studying a degree course.

oh.. i see
Reply 10
Paperheart, it's confusing :s-smilie: Basically, if you're studying in England, the AdvDip is probably the way to go financially. Some of my nursing friends were advised to swap by their tutors.
Reply 11
Its different whereever you go. In Scotland you get the same bursary for either the diploma or degree... I'm not sure which way I'm going yet. Applying for both anyway, and just see what happens...

Oh, and if your doing a degree do you not get more holidays but are in class more? And vice versa for a diploma? Or am I just basing that on a few unis?
Reply 12
The difference at Northampton (I don't know about other unis) is the third year is marked at a higher level and you do a 10,000 word dissertation if you do the degree. The other difference is the aount of bursary you get. You get the same amount of holiday (7weeks a year) on diploma as degree at Northampton.

Latest