The Student Room Group

Factorise this determinant!

Apologies for the ... but it's the only way to space it out as a 3 x 3 matrix.

Q12 (iv) Ex 5B from the MEI FP2 text.

Factorise (imagine the determinant bars)

x^2...y^2...z^2
yz.....xz.....xy

They get (x-y)(y-z)(z-x)(xy + yz + zx)

I can see the (x-y)(y-z)(z-x) from the cyclic nature of the thing, but where does the (xy + yz + zx) come from???

Much appreciated!
I haven't done this yet, do you just find the determinant of this and then factorise it?

I've got the determinant.

Have you tried multiplying out the factorised determinant they have and checking?

I'm going to do it now, if we both do it chances are we would be right if both got same answer.
Reply 2
I don't think this can be right. The determinant is a degree 4 polynomial, but the answer given has degree 5.
Yes, I just spent at least 10 minutes multiplying out those brackets to arrive at the same conclusion.

The brackets multiply out to be:

y³x²-x³y²+y²z³-y³z³-x²z³+x³z²

Whereas the actual determinant is:

y³x+z³y+x³z-z³x-x³y-y³z

Geez that took ages.
Reply 4
thomas795135
Yes, I just spent at least 10 minutes multiplying out those brackets to arrive at the same conclusion.Easier to factorize the determinant, at which point the error is fairly obvious.

Spoiler

You see I did attempt to do that, but then I gave up as factorising a fourth degree polynomial with x y and z is quite hard for my level :frown:.

Is there a method that you go through or is it 'just obvious'?
Reply 6
DFranklin
I don't think this can be right. The determinant is a degree 4 polynomial, but the answer given has degree 5.

Exactly what I thought!
Thankfully, Ive got the answer now - same as yours -thanks for doing it.
I performed a couple of column operations and factorised then worked out the simpler determinant and got it
Reply 7
thomas795135
You see I did attempt to do that, but then I gave up as factorising a fourth degree polynomial with x y and z is quite hard for my level :frown:.

Is there a method that you go through or is it 'just obvious'?
What I did was:

111x2y2z2yzzxxy=100x2y2x2z2x2yzzxyzxyyz\left|\begin{array}{ccc}1&1&1 \\ x^2 & y^2 & z^2 \\ yz & zx & xy \end{array}\right| = \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0 \\ x^2 & y^2-x^2 & z^2-x^2 \\ yz & zx-yz & xy-yz \end{array}\right| (subtract column 1 from columns 2 and 3)

=100x2(yx)(x+y)(zx)(x+z)yz(xy)z(xz)y= \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0 \\ x^2 & (y-x)(x+y) & (z-x)(x+z) \\ yz & (x-y)z & (x-z)y \end{array}\right| (factorizing)

=(xy)(xz)100x2(x+y)(x+z)yzzy= (x-y)(x-z) \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0 \\ x^2 & (x+y) & (x+z) \\ yz & -z & -y \end{array}\right| (taking out the common factor of (y-x) for the 2nd column and (z-x) for the 3rd)

=(xy)(xz)[(x+z)z(x+y)y]= (x-y)(x-z) [(x+z)z-(x+y)y] (expanding out the determinant)

=(xy)(xz)(x(zy)+(z+y)(zy))=(x-y)(x-z)(x(z-y)+(z+y)(z-y)) (it helps to spot this if you realise that by symmetry, there had better be a (z-y) factor here)

=(xy)(xz)(zy)(x+y+z)=(x-y)(x-z)(z-y)(x+y+z)

=(xy)(yz)(zx)(x+y+z)=(x-y)(y-z)(z-x)(x+y+z)

(I wouldn't normally use as many steps as I've written here - this approach is actually quite quick when you're used to it).
Reply 8
The attachment should help you... :smile:
Original post by maths56

And you resurrected a FOUR YEAR old thread because?
Original post by maths56
The attachment should help you... :smile:

Reply 11
Repped for effort, nevertheless.
Reply 12
Original post by ghostwalker
And you resurrected a FOUR YEAR old thread because?

Because when you search for factorising a determinant this thread come up and so i'm just being helpful. :bump:

Quick Reply

Latest