The Student Room Group

want some opinions

I'm not sure if this should be in this forum, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, 5 months before the A levels I fell really ill, and couldn't attend classes and couldn't take the exams. I am now going to repeat the year. By the time I finish college, I will be 19.
The problem is that I want to take a gap year and travel, but I'm worried that I will be a little old if I do that. I will be 20 years old.
On top of that, all my school mates will be in their second year at university.

what would be better?
Reply 1
People of all ages go to uni, don't worry about it. I don't think 2 years is really that much of a difference anyway.
Reply 2
I'm only starting uni this year and I'll be twenty in January.

There will be students of all ages and backgrounds so I really wouldn't worry about it!
The AVERAGE age of people starting university in the UK is 19, so for every 17/18 yr old starting there's a 20/21 yr old.

Don't worry.
i was 20 when i got to uni.

its no biggy.

especially when the chances are you'll be living with returners in your first year who will be the same age as you or older in your accommodation!
mel*~
I'm not sure if this should be in this forum, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, 5 months before the A levels I fell really ill, and couldn't attend classes and couldn't take the exams. I am now going to repeat the year. By the time I finish college, I will be 19.
The problem is that I want to take a gap year and travel, but I'm worried that I will be a little old if I do that. I will be 20 years old.
On top of that, all my school mates will be in their second year at university.

what would be better?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I left school at 19, because I thought it'd be fun to do some extra stuff in my first year of 6th form. I actually did a GNVQ in Health/Social Care, even though I could have happily gone on to A-levels (I did pretty well GCSE-wise), and the 4 A's I got in that go nicely with my other GCSE's.

A friend of mine, who is also 19 has gone back to school last week to redo her GCSE's AND A-Levels. She also did well in the GCSE's when we originally did them. Her GCSE course only lasts a year, but then there's 2 years of A-Level. She then wants to go to uni - so she'll be 22 when she gets there :wink:

You'll make new friends by redoing a year, learn new things and have more fun :smile:
I'm 21 and starting my first year of my 3 yr degree this month. Don't worry bout it!! I'm not!!
Reply 7
My friend is 27 and is starting her degree in a couple of weeks, living in halls. It's honestly nothing to worry about :smile:
My boyfriend is in the same year as me i'm 20 he's 25, it doesn't matter what age you are at uni, there are people on my course in my year who are 40.
Reply 9
Ilora-Danon
I'm 21 and starting my first year of my 3 yr degree this month. Don't worry bout it!! I'm not!!

:dito:

Latest

Trending

Trending