The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
no straight As for me. was a mixture of A*s - Cs. :biggrin:
Reply 21
I didn't get all A's, I'm happy with just 3...Check my profile for my results.
Reply 22
you will probably find that people are lying. also, people who have all A grades seem to want to show off about it.. and finally.. people with few grades tend not to want to shout about them.
i had 5 As and 2 Cs (well, 3 really.. double science BABY) but i don't feel the need to put it in my sig.
<Only> Since you ask...I got 8As (one of which was maths which I took a year early), 2Bs and a D in additional maths. Personally I feel they're rather average but when you're up to the uni stage in life- and beyond- they don't matter anymore.

Your A-levels matter in that they pretty much decide which uni you're going to. But according to graduates I know, if you take a MSc/MA then A-levels don't really get glanced at either when you're job hunting.

So what I'm saying is, if you do get to uni, don't think about your past achievements or lack of them, do the best you can do- because that is when it really counts as regards your future opportunities.
Reply 24
Schokis
<Only> Since you ask...I got 8As (one of which was maths which I took a year early), 2Bs and a D in additional maths. Personally I feel they're rather average but when you're up to the uni stage in life- and beyond- they don't matter anymore.
Your A-levels matter in that they pretty much decide which uni you're going to. But according to graduates I know, if you take a MSc/MA then A-levels don't really get glanced at either when you're job hunting.

So what I'm saying is, if you do get to uni, don't think about your past achievements or lack of them, do the best you can do- because that is when it really counts as regards your future opportunities.

Alot of people keep saying that, but GCSEs do matter, especially if people are looking to apply to the top unis. Plus, there's alot of competition, so most unis may do the same too in the future and look at the GCSEs in order to pick the best candidates.
Faiza.
Alot of people keep saying that, but GCSEs do matter, especially if people are looking to apply to the top unis. Plus, there's alot of competition, so most unis may do the same too in the future and look at the GCSEs in order to pick the best candidates.
I'm saying that once you're actually at uni GCSEs don't matter, only your performance at uni is looked at afterwards. Then, it's better not to have regrets about how you did at school. Que sera, sera.
Reply 26
I don't have all As. Maths and science never were my strong points and this is reflected in my grades, which is fair enough :smile:
Reply 27
Imo, putting your results in your signature over a forum is pretty pointless. Also, you shouldn't assume people who don't put results in their signature didn't get good results. I think being proud of your results is one thing, but feeling the need to put them in every single post is a bit sketchy. I'll take this time to add that I got AAAB in Biology, Chemistry, History and Computing (so as to prove I'm not just jealous/bitter, :tongue:).
Reply 28
.:fluff:.
nope.
7 A's, 2 B's and a hard earned C in physics.:smile:

very similar to my results :smile:

1A* 6A 2B 1C
Reply 29
Schokis
I'm saying that once you're actually at uni GCSEs don't matter, only your performance at uni is looked at afterwards. Then, it's better not to have regrets about how you did at school. Que sera, sera.

Yeah, guess thats true :smile:

What I meant was your results leading onto uni.

But still though. If someone has regrets, it makes them work harder, that is if they truly care :smile:
One A for me :proud:
Reply 31
Been interesting reading everyones reply!

Faiza.
Yeah, guess thats true :smile:

What I meant was your results leading onto uni.

But still though. If someone has regrets, it makes them work harder, that is if they truly care :smile:

I would of thought Uni's would of looked at GCSE grades. I don't know though, I always thought it was you had after - A-levels, etc.

Siles
...Also, you shouldn't assume people who don't put results in their signature didn't get good results...

Of course - or it's just the fact people (like me) just have..."other things" to put in it (or even nothing, of course)!
Reply 32
Grade's in sigs are all right if about 200 people here are going to be asking what you got. I didn't have to worry about that, only about 8 asked me.

I don't think people who have grades in sigs are showing off, its just an easy place to stick them. Personally I'm fine with them in my profile.
I got 2 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs. If I'd done better I'd have put them in my signature.
Reply 34
I got 9 As and 1 B (damn Religious Studies!!).

I thought about putting them in my sig, along with my AS results, but THB I'm more proud of my computer rig :laugh:
Reply 35
I got 4A's, 5B's, 4C's... so no, not all A's.
Reply 36
ILikeToHaveFun
don't be silly. You can still get into top unis with those sort of grades. you can get into top unis such as kcl, nottingham, sheffield with 5 b's and an a* at GCSE for example. Only for courses like medicine, law, english they may take into account secondary education qualifications.

Yes, that's what I meant and seeing as the majority of people on TSR want to get into medicine, then it's tough.
And when I meant top unis I meant oxbridge and imperial as those are the three top unis which get the most applications.

Obviously, if someone wants to do an easier course or a less competitive course then they don't really look at GCSEs, but I meant the more competitive courses, which most people want to do.
Reply 37
Faiza.
the majority of people on TSR want to get into medicine,

Really? That's news to me. Certainly the proportion of med PSs we get in the Ask A PS Helper forum doesn't reflect that...
Reply 38
Mine were crap, check my profile. :biggrin:
Reply 39
Angelil
Really? That's news to me. Certainly the proportion of med PSs we get in the Ask A PS Helper forum doesn't reflect that...

The majority of people I've come across :p:

Latest