The Student Room Group

extra questions

Up until today, I decided I didnt want to take a tv to uni and that I could cope with my laptop. However, I want a tv now because I bet I will spend most of my time watching the box as I dont like pubs, clubs and bars. So I was wondering if any of you could advice me on where to get a small, cheap tv?

The second thing is I am worried about this get pissed attitude at uni and I dont drink (religious reasons before someone asks). I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation as me?

Scroll to see replies

Give it a month before you take a TV. If you want to watch specific programmes most halls/unis have a TV room you can go to - that way you'll meet people and make friends even when you're watching the TV.

If you don't like pubs, clubs and bars then the worst thing you could do is take a TV and succumb to the temptation to stay in your room watching it. There are plenty of people at uni who don't drink and who don't like clubbing but they do take a bit more work to find. Join clubs and societies, go along to events, go out to lunch with friends in your flat, watch TV in the TV room etc etc
Reply 2
What PQ said.

If after all that you still decide you want your own TV access, you'll find it's a pain in the ass lugging it back and forth every year. Get a TV card for your computer instead.
Reply 3
I will be taking a TV (but will be a small 15" lcd) to Uni.

I certainly don't plan to sit in watching it, but I know there will be times I will either want it on for background noise... or just watch now and then.

Such as when I wake up in the morning... or trying to get to sleep at night - yup I'm one of those that watches the TV to help them get to sleep heh.

Or maybe if I'm just grabbing a snack, might just want to drop down in front of the tv stuffing myself watching a bit of television.

So yup, that's what I'm going to do!
Reply 4
M_P
Up until today, I decided I didnt want to take a tv to uni and that I could cope with my laptop. However, I want a tv now because I bet I will spend most of my time watching the box as I dont like pubs, clubs and bars. So I was wondering if any of you could advice me on where to get a small, cheap tv?

The second thing is I am worried about this get pissed attitude at uni and I dont drink (religious reasons before someone asks). I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation as me?

Yeh I know how you feel. I don't like clubbing or drinking either. I'll be taking a TV but as the other guys say, sitting in your room the whole time isn't a good idea. Join some societies that interest you and that don't involve getting hammered at every possible opportunity. :smile:
I took a telly to uni in London and to be honest, it wasn't pleasant watching the local news; 3 stabbings, 4 gun shootings, 3 robberies... (slight exaggeration, but it was bloody terrifying) so ignorance is sometimes bliss.
Im taking a 28" the only one i have :/ Im not going to watch it alot either, i just *want* a tv for must see 'do not disturb me' programmes like House, lol. Im weird.
I'm not taking a TV to uni, but instead relying on DVD's etc. At the moment, I'm just recording programmes from the TV (such as Friends, Scrubs and Sky Movies etc) and hoping to just hook my laptop up to speakers and watch those sorts of things, but its just a choice to be fair, I probably wont go out drinking often to be honest
Reply 8
M_P
OP
during freshers week, do unis normally offer a wide range of activities because some one going to my uni said clubbing and my heart went.
Reply 9
Of course they do! At our freshers' weeks at Exeter activities have included Devon cream teas, ChocSoc pub quiz (prize: 5kg of chocolate), bouncy castles, film screenings, creative writing taster sessions, scone hunting...the possibilities are endless :smile:
Reply 10
M_P
OP
Thanks for that, when they said clubbing it put me right off, clubbing for a week ahh!
Reply 11
If you don't drink for religious reasons, then your uni will almost certainly have a society based on that religion (what is it by the way?) If Christian, there will prob be a CU or fellowship based round the chaplaincy. If Muslim or Sikh they will almost certainly have societies too.
These will offer an alternative social life to the drinking culture. For example, at my uni the Christian group are offering an alcohol-free quiz night, and a film and pizza evening during Freshers' Week for those who do not want to do the clubbing etc.
Reply 12
M_P
OP
I just hope my uni are like that Lizj, I emailed student helpline asking them what they are offering during freshers.
Reply 13
It's also worth noting that just because a social takes place in a pub, you don't have to miss out because you don't drink. Most people don't care if you have vodka in your coke or not, or whether that's water or gin you're drinking.
Reply 14
M_P
OP
another thing which has crept into my mind is that, I dont even know how to iron. Go me :frown:
Reply 15
hey
i got 8B's and 3c's for gcse
and if i did get 4a's for a level with maths, econ, chemistry and socialogy wat uni would i be looking to go to and also would i have a chance for UCL
thanks
shaka
M_P
another thing which has crept into my mind is that, I dont even know how to iron. Go me :frown:

Ironing isn't complicated - just lay stuff out on a board and press the iron over it until it's flat (and read the ironing instructions on the label to find out maximum temperatures).

Plus if you take your clothes out of the washing machine as soon as they're done and dry them on hangers then 9.999 times out of 10 you wont need to iron them.

I use my iron maybe once or twice a year.
Reply 17
Hmmmm, I've heard that from someone else if you just hang them up you won't need to iron them.

BUT... where do you hang them up? lol In your room?
Reply 18
Fid
Hmmmm, I've heard that from someone else if you just hang them up you won't need to iron them.

BUT... where do you hang them up? lol In your room?

On your shower curtain rail if you have en suite, on your room curtain rail if not. Or buy a mega cheap clothes airer and stand it next to your radiator. Cheaper than laundry tumble driers.
Angelil
Of course they do! At our freshers' weeks at Exeter activities have included Devon cream teas, ChocSoc pub quiz (prize: 5kg of chocolate), bouncy castles, film screenings, creative writing taster sessions, scone hunting...the possibilities are endless :smile:

My uni ONLY offers clubbing for freshers week activities. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending