The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you're applying for a technical job, you can have CVs 5 or 6 pages long detailing all your skills and experiences, but 2 pages should be the maximum length ofa normal CV. What have you got on yours already?
Reply 2
*skye*
CV... they're meant to be approx 2 pages long? Well, mine's already that length at present... what happens when I have more stuff to add and it exceeds the 2 pages? :confused:

Skye.

that's far too long

most good CVs from students are just one page
Reply 3
Squishy
If you're applying for a technical job, you can have CVs 5 or 6 pages long detailing all your skills and experiences, but 2 pages should be the maximum length ofa normal CV. What have you got on yours already?

The usual stuff: Personal details... education and qualifications... employment/work experience (takes up a large bulk of it)...achievements +skills...hobbies and interests and references.

It's already 2 pages as it is now... what happens when i got more stuff to add? :confused: I'm hoping for a career in the creative industries when i'm older. But obviously, part/time wise anything within reason will do...
Reply 4
marabara
that's far too long

most good CVs from students are just one page

ONE page??? How is that humanly possible? Unless you've done nothing in your life? :confused: And before you say it, I have condensed and kept it brief but necessary.
Reply 5
people only use CVs to decide if they want to interview the applicant, not to decide if they want to offer them a job - they don't want to spend more than two minutes reading it

just cut out unnecessary stuff - concentrate on your two more relevant work experiences, doing a paragraph or list of bullet points for each, and for the rest summarise in another paragraph

education and qualifications shouldn't take up much room either - don't put them in a list taking up 10% of the page width as that just wastes space

to round off, a paragraph on outside interests, then a couple of addresses for references

that's pretty simple to get on one page
Reply 6
*skye*
ONE page??? How is that humanly possible? Unless you've done nothing in your life? :confused: And before you say it, I have condensed and kept it brief but necessary.

it is very possible, and is what most of the top graduates do when they leave university as well

why not buy a guide on writing CVs - I'm sure there'd be something at your local careers service or on the internet

5 or 6 pages for a CV is ridiculous by the way - 2 pages is definitely the limit, you just want to give a quick summary of yourself and points can be further probed in an interview
Reply 7
marabara
people only use CVs to decide if they want to interview the applicant, not to decide if they want to offer them a job - they don't want to spend more than two minutes reading it

just cut out unnecessary stuff - concentrate on your two more relevant work experiences, doing a paragraph or list of bullet points for each, and for the rest summarise in another paragraph

education and qualifications shouldn't take up much room either - don't put them in a list taking up 10% of the page width as that just wastes space

to round off, a paragraph on outside interests, then a couple of addresses for references

that's pretty simple to get on one page

I have done all that, believe me. I even got my dad to checked it over and re-do it and he interviews ppl in his line of work too...
Reply 8
marabara
it is very possible, and is what most of the top graduates do when they leave university as well

why not buy a guide on writing CVs - I'm sure there'd be something at your local careers service or on the internet

5 or 6 pages for a CV is ridiculous by the way - 2 pages is definitely the limit, you just want to give a quick summary of yourself and points can be further probed in an interview

5/6 pages does sound ridiculous. lol

Okay.. do i need to write down what all the work experience placements has provided for me, in terms of new skills etc. Obviously i have to write a few details on the work i did, yeh?
Reply 9
marabara
5 or 6 pages for a CV is ridiculous by the way

Nah, I know someone who works as some kind of programmer or designer for the Ministry of Defence (he's not allowed to tell me what his job actually involves), and he was asked to submit a very detailed CV. I think it was longer than 5 pages.

CVs should ideally be targeted at a specific job, so depending on what you're applying for, you can leave out certain work experience if it's not too relevant.
Reply 10
Squishy
Nah, I know someone who works as some kind of programmer or designer for the Ministry of Defence (he's not allowed to tell me what his job actually involves), and he was asked to submit a very detailed CV. I think it was longer than 5 pages.

CVs should ideally be targeted at a specific job, so depending on what you're applying for, you can leave out certain work experience if it's not too relevant.

Okay fair enough :smile: lol... All my work experience is relevant though-ish. lol
Reply 11
*skye*
Okay fair enough :smile: lol... All my work experience is relevant though-ish. lol

Wow, you must've had quite a lot of work experience if you can't fit it all with brief descriptions onto 2 pages. :eek:
Reply 12
Squishy
Wow, you must've had quite a lot of work experience if you can't fit it all with brief descriptions onto 2 pages. :eek:

lol ...SIX to date! I'm a busy girl! :tongue: (plus i've got the rest of the cv stuff on it too)
*skye*
CV... they're meant to be approx 2 pages long? Well, mine's already that length at present... what happens when I have more stuff to add and it exceeds the 2 pages? :confused:

Skye.

mine is just one page! and its all spaced out...but the font is small so it balances things out.
Reply 14
ThornsnRoses
mine is just one page! and its all spaced out...but the font is small so it balances things out.

My font size is size 11 , Arial. My dad said not to go any smaller. Eek.
Reply 15
as a compromise, why not 1.5 pages - surely you can manage that?

I'd only go into detail on the more relevant and important work experience, and thats still keeping it to 2 or 3 lines - for the others, either summarise all in one brief paragraph or give your position

say if you worked in a bar for a year, your potential employers could hazard a rough guess at what you did - served drinks, worked as part of a team, took responsibility, dealt with difficult people, etc - no need to do more than 2 lines for this sort of thing

whatever you do, don't go past 2 pages - that'd just be going straight into the bin in all probability

if there's a bit of white space on your CV, you can avoid this by using two columns for your personal details and any bullet points

you only give 2 references as well - the most important ones obviously
Reply 16
marabara
as a compromise, why not 1.5 pages - surely you can manage that?

I'd only go into detail on the more relevant and important work experience, and thats still keeping it to 2 or 3 lines - for the others, either summarise all in one brief paragraph or give your position

say if you worked in a bar for a year, your potential employers could hazard a rough guess at what you did - served drinks, worked as part of a team, took responsibility, dealt with difficult people, etc - no need to do more than 2 lines for this sort of thing

whatever you do, don't go past 2 pages - that'd just be going straight into the bin in all probability

if there's a bit of white space on your CV, you can avoid this by using two columns for your personal details and any bullet points

you only give 2 references as well - the most important ones obviously

LOL.. i've done everything you've mentioned already!

two columns for personal details. Check.
2 references in 2 columns. Check.
2 lines ish for each work experience. Check.
Reply 17
*skye*
LOL.. i've done everything you've mentioned already!

two columns for personal details. Check.
2 references in 2 columns. Check.
2 lines ish for each work experience. Check.

how about smaller spaces between each work experience - and do you have it in the form:

Sept 2001 - Aug 2002: Coach & Horses - Barmaid
Worked as part of a large team, in charge of bar on occasions, learnt to deal with difficult people.

...where the "Worked as.." starts under "Coach &..."

like I said before, I do think its unnecessary to detail all 6 work experiences - if two are similar, then group into one paragraph?
*skye*

It's easy to squeeze everything into a single page. On MS Word make the margins much smaller, use Times/Arial size 11, then for example

Education
2003 - 06 xx University
2003 1st Year Exams: 2:1 (62%)
2001 - 03 xx 6th Form College
2003 A Levels: Maths (A), Economics (B), History (B)
2002 AS Levels: Maths (A), Economics (B), History (C), French (C)

Employment
2003 - 04 Company Name, Location
Duties included ___, ___ & ___
2002 Company Name, Location
2001 - 02 Company Name, Location

Extracurricular / Interests

Referees
1. Mr ___ ___ - Manager at (Company), [details]
2. Ms ___ ___ - Tutor at (University/School), [details]

Latest