The Student Room Group

Personal Statement error on UCAS Apply?

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question in, if not, many apologies. :redface:

I finished my personal statement the other day, and uploaded it to the UCAS website. I was very careful to replace all my 'special quote' quotation marks with the normal type that are allowed on the online form (i.e., I used " instead of ”). However the form still refuses to accept them, and removes them all every time I save it.

I can still get it to look right by using two apostrophes instead (''), but that takes up two characters rather than one, and I'm already pushing the limit. As I'm applying for English there are a lot of books in there, so quite a few sets of quotation marks are needed!

Is anyone else having this problem? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?
Reply 1
not sure why that is, perhaps phone up ucas and ask?
Reply 2
Yes, I'm planning on giving them a call tomorrow if nobody else has any suggestions to solve the problem. It's just more stress - and just my luck to muck up something computer-related. :rolleyes:
Ms Kooky
Yes, I'm planning on giving them a call tomorrow if nobody else has any suggestions to solve the problem. It's just more stress - and just my luck to muck up something computer-related. :rolleyes:

Try putting things in inverted commas 'like this'.

See how that works.
i know your problem...

i also had curled ones and changed them to these "
but they kept disappearing....

i just left it without inverted commas in the end
which is dumb..i know,
but i guess i can try your "two apostrophes" idea

sorry, no idea how to help you though
Or - copy and paste your statement into Notepad and THEN copy it into Apply. Notepad converts all the fancy characters (", ' and - at least) into something Apply will take.
Reply 6
Same problem. It won't accept any quotation marks however I try it :frown:

It also counts about 11 extra characters than word does.
yeah, the count is spazzed for some reason.....
it gave me more lines then word did :smile:
it's because it's a different width..... more stuff fits on a line than does in word.....

Latest