The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've seen pro-fox hunters throw out a number of reasons as to why it's "ok" to hunt foxes. All it really boils down to is killing an animal for sport, and in no circumstances should that be acceptable. Ever.
Worzo

You use the example of a trained marksman as an acceptable form of hunting. Does this imply, therefore, that you would ban anyone from shooting animals unless they had been properly trained? Because I can tell you that the majority of shooting is done by people who are a crap shot and invariably leave the animal suffering for some time before it is dispatched.

I'm not a massive fan of untrained idiots taking pot shots at wildlife no.
Reply 42
Frankly, I don't like toffs. Simple.

Which of course ties into the the logical inconsistency in banning violent 'lower-class' sports like bear-baiting and cock-fighting, while allowing equally violent fox-hunting, enjoyed mainly by the rich and upper-class which has now been remedied.
Reply 43
UniOfLife
I can't see that fox hunting has much to do with pest control. You don't remove a pest by having regularly timetabled extravagant hunts with hundreds of dogs, horses, shotguns et al. It's an incredibly expensive way to deal with pest foxes. Clearly fox hunting is a hobby/sport more than it is about pest control.

Given that we have banned dog-fighting and cock-fighting because they involve cruelty to animals, I find it hard to see any compelling reason why dog vs fox fighting should be OK.

I agree. The relative cost/benefit ratio of actually planning and conducting a hunt in such a lavish manner is very high indeed. It would be like performing emergency surgery only after a complex, day-long ritual; pointless and essentially harmful.

What frustrates me is the continued line taken by pro-hunt lobbyists that it is 'dealing with a pest issue'. The argument is flawed.
alasdair_R
Frankly, I don't like toffs. Simple.

Good to see class warfare isn't dead, and that political debates are based on logical examinations of the facts!
Catsmeat
I agree. The relative cost/benefit ratio of actually planning and conducting a hunt in such a lavish manner is very high indeed. It would be like performing emergency surgery only after a complex, day-long ritual; pointless and essentially harmful.

What frustrates me is the continued line taken by pro-hunt lobbyists that it is 'dealing with a pest issue'. The argument is flawed.

So the government is justified in banning it because it's inefficient? What does that have to do with anything?
Reply 46
UniOfLife
Well the problem with subjectivity is that one cannot prove or disprove one's opinion. If I feel it is too cruel I cannot prove to someone else that it is and vice versa. We all allow some amount of pain and suffering to be inflicted on animals but we draw boundaries where we feel that pain is too much. And of course that boundary is somewhat arbitrary.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. But I'm adding that this limit doesn't preclude arriving at an objective conception of subjective notions. It doesn't paralyze our ability to make normative judgements. Parliament, jurists and individuals can arrive at systemically informed judgements and call them "correct", in a meaningful way that doesn't simply rely on appeals to authority. The legal definition of murder, for instance, is a little more than just the act of ending a life: in some sense it's a fiction, but it's one that bears a very convincing correspondence to the biologically 'objective' definition of murder. I'm rambling a bit, but the point I'm making is that worzo's "subjectivity of cruelty" objection isn't necessarily a good objection.
Reply 47
UniOfLife
IIRC it's only hunting with dogs that has been banned. This is because the dogs rip the fox to shreds after chasing it for however long. That is considered unnecessary cruelty. You're right that cruelty is subjective. Some consider battery chickens to be too cruel, others don't. And so like most things it comes down to balance. It was felt by Parliament that the cruelty to the fox when dogs are used to hunt and kill it, is great enough to warrant a ban.

Finally, someone who's actually addressing the issue.

I know the ban was passed on cruelty grounds, but I suspect this was not the motivation of the MPs who voted.

My argument is that there is just not enough evidence for the fox suffering any significant amount more than the quarry in other forms of hunting. The cruelty issue has two points: 1) the chase is stressful, 2) the kill is painful for the fox

1) I argue that the chase itself is not stressful. The stress caused to a fox in the chase is probably the same as my sister chasing a rabbit around the garden because animals have no 'beliefs' or 'foresight' of their fate. The fox doesn't know its going to meet a grisly end, just as the rabbit doesn't know that my sister is only going to pick it up and stroke it. The animals are simply reacting to their instincts to run away from what they perceive as danger.

Therefore, if you are going to ban the hunting with dogs on the basis that there is a chase invovled, then you must ban the 'chasing' of any animals for any reason. For this reason, the chase itself does not cause significant suffering. The fox is not scarred for life or any anthropomorphic things like that.

2) I argue that the physical pain is similar to any other forms of hunting. I use the argument of consistency for this, on the assumption that the majority consider other forms of hunting as acceptable.
- fishing pierces a fish's lip and deprives it of oxygen
- shooting a bird invariably only wounds it, and it must be dispatched by other means

The cruelty argument just doesn't stand up, and isn't really the issue at all. A degree of "cruelty", as I have shown it here, is necessary in all forms of hunting, so unless the principal of hunting itself is wrong, then I really don't see why fox-hunting is any different.

Gilliwoo
the point I'm making is that worzo's "subjectivity of cruelty" objection isn't necessarily a good objection

The reality that the anti-fox-hunters (who argue that cruelty to animals is wrong). must answer is, "Just how much cruelty to animals is wrong?" It's this question that people have trouble with, and over which people disagree, and so at the end of the day, the argument is really only about the subjectivity of cruelty.
Catsmeat

It's a tactic used to appeal to the masses. The pro-hunters face two problems: 1) foxes are furry and cute, 2) the hunt involves cruelty.

Now they cannot state simply that they feel that the cruelty is not enough to warrant a removal of some of their liberty, because the argument is too subjective and won't win over the crowds. So they portray foxes as pests. This directly deals with problem number 1: people don't feel strongly about cruelty to rats so painting foxes as pests negates their cute-factor. And it also allows problem two to be tackled because extra cruelty can be allowed if the ends are justified (at least in the minds of the masses).

So this is, imo, a political plot to convince the public not an attempt to have a serious and logical debate.
Reply 49
Nefarious
I'm not a massive fan of untrained idiots taking pot shots at wildlife no.

Fine. Nor am I. But do you think you have the authority to stop them? I think that is where we have to recognise that, at the end of the day, they are only animals.
Reply 50
DrunkHamster
Good to see class warfare isn't dead, and that political debates are based on logical examinations of the facts!

Well, there's the fact that killing something for fun is a basically uncivilised thing to do...
Has anyone mentioned that hunting foxes with dogs is the quickest and least painful death for the animal? The alternatives are lamping, trapping and poisoning, neither of which are particularly humane. Trapping and poisoning result in a slow and painful death, whilst lamping often results in a gunshot wound which isn't immediately fatal. The fox then either dies of internal bleeding, septic shock or starvation as it is unable to catch prey.

A lot of anti-hunt arguments seem to stem from a certain squeamishness that people have about seeing a carcass ripped apart by a pack of dogs. I agree that it's not a pretty sight but then I also find the mutilated mice which cats bring in rather distasteful as well. I'm sure that some people would object to the fact that farmers use terriers to hunt rats also - again a rather bloody spectacle.

The point is that dogs don't play with their food - the fox that you see being torn up was dead from the moment the first hound's jaws crushed the top vertebrae of its spine. It isn't alive while it's being torn apart - so to say that it is cruelty would be incorrect.

We must also consider the fact that hundreds of hounds have had to be put down because of the ban - they cannot be re-homed because they are hunting dogs. Is it right to do that for the sake of a few foxes? It's not like they're going to go extinct through hunting.

I wouldn't go on a hunt myself, nor would I wish to be a spectator. However, I don't see how it hurts me and I think it has some utility. A lot of people seem to be dismissing the hunters as country 'toffs' who like to maliciously inflict harm on animals for their own pleasure, but I think that demonstrates more the huge ignorance of the countryside and the farming industry that most people in the UK have, rather than how country folk are. Perhaps this prevailing viewpoint is the product of being brought up in an urban environment where the only animals seen are either pets or birds in the garden. That's a generalisation but I don't think it's unfair to say that the majority of anti-hunt people are from the cities.
Worzo
Finally, someone who's actually addressing the issue.

I know the ban was passed on cruelty grounds, but I suspect this was not the motivation of the MPs who voted.

My argument is that there is just not enough evidence for the fox suffering any significant amount more than the quarry in other forms of hunting. The cruelty issue has two points: 1) the chase is stressful, 2) the kill is painful for the fox

1) I argue that the chase itself is not stressful. The stress caused to a fox in the chase is probably the same as my sister chasing a rabbit around the garden because animals have no 'beliefs' or 'foresight' of their fate. The fox doesn't know its going to meet a grisly end, just as the rabbit doesn't know that my sister is only going to pick it up and stroke it. The animals are simply reacting to their instincts to run away from what they perceive as danger.

Therefore, if you are going to ban the hunting with dogs on the basis that there is a chase invovled, then you must ban the 'chasing' of any animals for any reason. For this reason, the chase itself does not cause significant suffering. The fox is not scarred for life or any anthropomorphic things like that.

2) I argue that the physical pain is similar to any other forms of hunting. I use the argument of consistency for this, on the assumption that the majority consider other forms of hunting as acceptable.
- fishing pierces a fish's lip and deprives it of oxygen
- shooting a bird invariably only wounds it, and it must be dispatched by other means

The cruelty argument just doesn't stand up, and isn't really the issue at all. A degree of "cruelty", as I have shown it here, is necessary in all forms of hunting, so unless the principal of hunting itself is wrong, then I really don't see why fox-hunting is any different.

1) I suggest that if your sister continually chased your rabbit for extended periods of time she would be deemed to be being cruel to it. You're right that it runs from danger, but it is under stress and for an extended period of time. And it's sense of danger and thus fear and suffering will be increased in proportion to the number of dogs chasing and barking at it.

2) The dogs (AFAIK) rip the fox to pieces once it is too tired to run away. So the cruelty there is more than in catching a fish.

But the important point you miss is that since the level of cruelty is to a large extent subjective it doesn't matter if it is more or less cruel only that it is perceived to be. Since public perception is that this is too cruel it is socially unacceptable and warrants a ban.
Reply 53
Gilliwoo
Yes, that's what I'm saying. But I'm adding that this limit doesn't preclude arriving at an objective conception of subjective notions. It doesn't paralyze our ability to make normative judgements. Parliament, jurists and individuals can arrive at systemically informed judgements and call them "correct", in a meaningful way that doesn't simply rely on appeals to authority. The legal definition of murder, for instance, is a little more than just the act of ending a life: in some sense it's a fiction, but it's one that bears a very convincing correspondence to the biologically 'objective' definition of murder. I'm rambling a bit, but the point I'm making is that worzo's "subjectivity of cruelty" objection isn't necessarily a good objection.

Agreed. Just because 'cruelty' carries a level of subjectivity doesn't mean it is an unusable concept; if that was the case we'd be paralysed over most things in real life!
Reply 54
elliotmcv
All it really boils down to is killing an animal for sport, and in no circumstances should that be acceptable. Ever.

Poppycock. That's not what it boils down to at all. Blanket arguments like this are just the "protect the fluffy animal" reaction.

You are implying that there are other circumstances in which killing an animal is acceptable. What if I am to kill it an eat it? I assume you would not object to that. But then how will you prove that I am not doing that for sport?
alasdair_R
Well, there's the fact that killing something for fun is a basically uncivilised thing to do...

I think most people have extremely inconsistent ideas about animal welfare, (which comes up from time to time when I talk about the libertarian attitude to animal cruelty)

Do you agree that (as I think is the case) it is perfectly possible to have a healthy diet in every respect without eating meat?

If you do (and even if we accept that fox hunting has no utilitarian purpose and is only done for fun), I fail to see the relevant difference between fox hunting (unnecessarily killing an animal in a painful way order to get pleasure out of watching animals rip it apart) and, say, eating chicken (unnecessarily killing an animal in a painful way in order to get pleasure out of sinking your teeth into its flesh).

So can you either tell me the difference between the two cases, or agree that eating meat is "a basically uncivilised thing to do" as well.
Reply 56
"civilised" is socially created and therefore relative :smile:
DrunkHamster
I think most people have extremely inconsistent ideas about animal welfare, (which comes up from time to time when I talk about the libertarian attitude to animal cruelty)

Do you agree that (as I think is the case) it is perfectly possible to have a healthy diet in every respect without eating meat?

If you do (and even if we accept that fox hunting has no utilitarian purpose and is only done for fun), I fail to see the relevant difference between fox hunting (unnecessarily killing an animal in a painful way order to get pleasure out of watching animals rip it apart) and, say, eating chicken (unnecessarily killing an animal in a painful way in order to get pleasure out of sinking your teeth into its flesh).

So can you either tell me the difference between the two cases, or agree that eating meat is "a basically uncivilised thing to do" as well.

I think people want to distance themselves from their indirect responsibility for the death of the animals they eat, so they simply ignore the issue and therefore become inconsistent.
Reply 58
UniOfLife
But the important point you miss is that since the level of cruelty is to a large extent subjective it doesn't matter if it is more or less cruel only that it is perceived to be. Since public perception is that this is too cruel it is socially unacceptable and warrants a ban.

Yes, I understand the "reason" the ban was passed, and I understand majority rule as a political process.

That's not to say that the majority are always right to rule over the minority, however: the public perception, IMO, is wrong and inconsistent because fox-hunting is no more cruel than any other form of hunting.
Reply 59
DrunkHamster
I think most people have extremely inconsistent ideas about animal welfare

I agree. And the cause is illustrated by the fact that some people don't know bacon and ham come from the same animal. The lack of contact that the majority have with the natural world has led to an elevation of the status of "fluffy animals" to human-like since people don't know what place animals are supposed to occupy.

This manifests itself in a dichotomy of attitudes between those who have absolutely no respect for animals (more often than not they are those who have little respect for their environment in general), and those who have been too influenced by the media's positive messages about how we should treat each other, and applied them to friendly-looking animals. There are very few people around - save for farmers and rural-folk - who have a good balance in their attitude towards nature that both respects animals and recognises the place of the human being in relation to them.

I can guarantee that if the foxes were evil-looking snake-like things, the ban would never have been passed.

Latest

Trending

Trending