The Student Room Group

Do I Need to Contact HMRC?

I'm currently unemployed and will spend 6 or so months in Australia with a working holiday visa. For the kinds of work I will be doing there, I won't get a contract and will work on a project basis.

Do I need to contact HMRC about leaving the UK or would I need not worry about it? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lalalalalalamember
I'm currently unemployed and will spend 6 or so months in Australia with a working holiday visa. For the kinds of work I will be doing there, I won't get a contract and will work on a project basis.

Do I need to contact HMRC about leaving the UK or would I need not worry about it? Thanks.

I dont think you need to tell them, but it wouldnt hurt to phone them and double check. At least then you will be covered.
Original post by lalalalalalamember

Generally UK residents are taxed on the arising basis, so any money you earn anywhere in the world you will pay tax on.

But you could also be taxed in Australia on this income, so there is a foreign tax credit relief available to save you being taxed twice on the same income.

To be honest it depends on what you're doing. If it's fruit picking on a farm and you're getting cash in hand it's tough for any government to collect the tax unless you declare it.

There are different rules regarding domicile, but I've tried to keep it basic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending