Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get music off an iPod

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    There have been a great deal of threads on this topic.

This is how, for Windows XP, Vista, and 7

NOTE: apparently this does not apply to the iPod Touch, only Classic, Nano, and previous generation iPods.

First, show hidden files:
    how to show hidden files
    to do this, open (My) Documents, then [on XP] click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders; [on Vista] click Organise > Folder and Search Options > View > Show hidden files and folders
    Then go into (My) Computer > name of your iPod > System (on newer iPods, the folder is named iPod_Control), then copy the "music" folder to any location. Your desktop is probably easiest.

Once this is done, right click the folder you've just copied, and select properties. Untick "hidden", click OK. When a box appears asking if you wish to apply this to all files and folders of just that folder, choose all.

Then open iTunes, go to edit > preferences > advanced > check the "Keep iTunes Music folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Music library on import" boxes and then use the File > Add Folder to Library command to add the Music folder into your library.

The reason behind doing this is that music is placed onto your iPod in random folders in a random order but all ID3 tagging is left in place, so importing them into your library fixes the mess for you automatically and gets your music back too. To clarify, this means all your music is organised and named according to ID3 tags, so when it all gets re-imported, all the files re-gain their correct names and are put in the right folders.

________________________________ _________________

On a related note regarding rescuing lost iTunes purchases:

(Original post by rottcodd)
    Okay, in case anybody is interested - if you erase all your purchases for whatever reason and you don't have a backup, Apple will allow you a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to redownload ALL of your past purchases made through the itunes store. You have to go to here, fill in the form, and apparently they will let you redownload them within 48 hours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good idea!

For Mac users, there are two options of getting music from an iPod.

1. Senuti- a simple program which copies it all to your Mac:
    http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

2. To use Finder to explore the iPod and manually copy files, you'll need to use Terminal to show hidden files.

Launch the Terminal by going to Applications > Utilities and double-clicking on Terminal.app.
    Paste in these lines of code:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder
    From there, open the iPod and copy the files across to your Mac and then re-import into iTunes to organise it all.

If you want to make the hidden folders disappear again, just run the code again, but change TRUE to FALSE.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I use idump (great name) for windows, select output folder, plug in ipod, lists all music on ipod, you can search then select or select all and click download
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive done the first bit what do u mean by: then go into your iPod > system, then copy the "music" folder to your hard drive. do u do this on ur ipod or comp. thanks
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    using your computer.

This guide assumes your iPod is in disc mode (you can do this by selecting your iPod in iTunes and ticking the disc mode box.)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ah if only I had knows this before :[
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The way described in the first post works fine if you are trying to copy all your music from iPod to computer.

However, the software "iDump" ( http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteI...8404deac2cd721 ) lets you transfer specific songs or playlists, ie, you can select what goes from your iPod to your computer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah iDump is great for choosing individual songs to copy. Really quick, i downloaded it and have started listening to songs in literally 5 minutes!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    using your computer.

This guide assumes your iPod is in disc mode (you can do this by selecting your iPod in iTunes and ticking the disc mode box.)
    where is the 'disc mode' box please?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    select your iPod in iTunes - there should be an interface that appears and one option should be "disc mode".
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    My computer crashed and so I have come to put all the music on my iPod on the computer and have copied it across as you describe but now how do I copy the playlists onto the computer.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I unfortunately don't know how to get playlists from your iPod - they don't seem to be stored anywhere at all.. :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    iDump (link above) will do it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah tried that but it only transfers the songs and that and then saves it as a playlist but I have already moved the songs off my iPod so I want to avoid duplicates.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    awwww right i getcha..... so it works but just means you have 2 of every song in the playlist?

hmmm you could just do it, then go on itunes "view all duplicates" and delete the songs that are the same? i'd do that, but then again i've been known to spend hours messing around on itunes trying to sort out my music! stayed up adding music all night pretty much once..... pretty sad eh!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    But then if you remove them out of itunes then it deletes it from the playlist which defeats the object. Ah well, i'll give up and make the playlists manually.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the point is you can't get playlists themselves off your iPod - only the music that is played in those playlists.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right kk, I just make them manually then
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, seems so. Sucks a bit, that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi theres a great piece of software called CopyTrans www.copytrans.net for just £10 i think, I used it a while back and it works great - just plug it in and it works just as iTunes does, but backwards :P

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2010
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.