The Student Room Group

Teachers you're **** scared of

Good or bad?

I ask because one of my History teachers for AS is one scary bastard, even the 'hardest' kids are scared of this guy, and whilst I think it's good to have a bit of strict teaching every now and again, it's also a bit intense and can lead to too much worrying.

What is your take on this?
At A level you shouldn't be 'scary' but more on the students level. None of my A level teachers were remotely scary. I could chat to them all like a mate. Although my history teacher was a bit miserable and a bit of a moaner she wasn't scary.
Reply 2
It depends what you mean by 'scary'. All my new teachers are strict and expect everyone to get As so I don't want to let them down. This is a good 'scary' teacher.

If you physically feel frightened to ask questions if you aren't sure then this isn't so good.
Reply 3
Bad. Obviously a teacher should be able to take control of a class but equally their students should be happy being taught by them. There was one teacher who I was absolutely **** scared of and I can honestly say he put me off his subject for life (technology), and many people in my year feel the same.

The sign of a good teacher is one who can control a class by getting them interested in their subject, not through fear.
Reply 4
Probably when you've had a few lessons with him, he won't be nearly as a bad (especially if you're in small classes). Everyone at school was terrified of one of the history teachers, and there were only five of us taking it so we were pretty petrified for our first few lessons with him, but after that, like *Tears and Butterflies* said, he was more like a mate - we had in-jokes and took the **** out of each other etc. Obviously if he is too scary for you to ask him for help and stuff then you should talk to one of the other teachers about him.
I am scared of my new economics teacher. He is really strict and just the way he teachers and carries himself makes everyone adjust to his high standards, there's just no room for slipping.
Reply 6
Good! It makes you get the work done haha.
vixky!
Good! It makes you get the work done haha.

it sure does!
Reply 8
Maths teacher. The metal bin by his desk is all crumpled from where he kicks it, there is ink up the walls when he throws his pens, he has no board rubbers as he tends to throw them about. On the back wall there is a bullet-ridden paper template when he was target practicing in Las Vegas. I quote, "I run a Stalinist regime here, you can call me Joe".

He's bad.

To the bone.
Reply 9
My Maths teacher at GCSE was a animal, that's why I got a C.
Reply 10
i wouldnt say he's 'scary' in a really bad way but he can be patronising. like asking me to spell my name out. obviously i know how to spell my name, obviously its going to be on top of my work - so what does it matter?
Reply 11
i had a theology teacher at A2 who i was really scared of, everyone was, but we all got good grades. I bumped into him (not literally thank god, the man's made of like, steel) at Sainsbury's a few days ago and he was a nice as a very nice pie - strange!!
Reply 12
lol. scary teachers = oxymoron. Well, at my 6th form it is.
Creative
lol. scary teachers = oxymoron. Well, at my 6th form it is.

:ditto: lol :p:
Reply 14
I don't really think I have any scary teachers.

Miss [someone] for maths used to be scary [she's left], but that's largely 'cause in Y7 we all thought she'd try and make us into Danish Bacon if we misbehaved... =/

Latest