The Student Room Group

Is A Level Physics too difficult?

Scroll to see replies

Hard at first, once you understand concepts and everything clicks, its a matter of memorising information you need to like applications, then doing loads of questions to familiarise yourself with the mark scheme and the terminology they expect you to use in explanation/suggestions.
Reply 61
I NEED HELP AS WELL!! I am just about to start my A levels in a few days. Im taking Physics, chemistry, maths and history. i got AAAA* for those for subjects in that order at GCSE and i was wondering if the physics and maths is going to be too hard? Thanks.
Original post by samjl22
I NEED HELP AS WELL!! I am just about to start my A levels in a few days. Im taking Physics, chemistry, maths and history. i got AAAA* for those for subjects in that order at GCSE and i was wondering if the physics and maths is going to be too hard? Thanks.

Your GCSE grades are absolutely fine.
Reply 63
Just going to throw it out there, IDK if anybody will respond but: I have an A at Maths but I got high BB and then low CC in Physics which lead to a C grade at GCSE. I want to take it and will be doing OCR, but I want to know one thing: How much of the course will rely on knowledge from GCSE (like, actual facts -- not maths)?
Original post by Aagni
Just going to throw it out there, IDK if anybody will respond but: I have an A at Maths but I got high BB and then low CC in Physics which lead to a C grade at GCSE. I want to take it and will be doing OCR, but I want to know one thing: How much of the course will rely on knowledge from GCSE (like, actual facts -- not maths)?

Enough that my college require at least a B overall in whatever science qual you did. Can't comment more than that though, I got through the physics gcse thanks to memorising what they wanted in answers over taking the time to learn the content, but if you're prepared to work hard you should be fine :smile: no idea about maths though, I don't take it which is something I definitely don't advise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aagni

Precious little. I dont really care what science my students have done before - they come from 30 different schools and lots of different syllabuses.

I teach all the AS Physics from scratch. Sometimes I think it would be easier if they hadnt done anything before. Some have been taught pretty badly about current electricity for example.
Reply 66
Original post by teachercol
Precious little. I dont really care what science my students have done before - they come from 30 different schools and lots of different syllabuses.

I teach all the AS Physics from scratch. Sometimes I think it would be easier if they hadnt done anything before. Some have been taught pretty badly about current electricity for example.

Brilliant, thank you! In my sixth form only 3/300 students are doing it so it will essentially be a private tutor too, I'm much more confident now :biggrin:
It's far too ****ing evil for me. It is perfect for one of my friends.
Most people who do it find it challenging but interesting - do you like it, OP? You willing to work hard? Then you should be OK. It is very maths-y though!
Original post by Kaela
A Level Physis is HARD!! I got a B in GCSE and got a C in AS and I struggled. I did Advancing Physics (OCR B) It's not a nice course, a lot of my friends got U's. It's all maths. It's horrible.

My advice? Don't take it.

You took physics and expected there not to be a lot of maths? You did know what physics is right?
Reply 69
Original post by chidona
The problem with Physics lies in the way you have to think and formulate your thoughts in it. I know very capable mathematicians who take further maths with me, who struggle pretty heavily with physics - and these are all A grade maths candidates. It's also much more wordy than maths, so the ability to switch quickly between qualitative and quantitative analysis is pretty key.

If you worked hard at the subject and really pushed it to the limit while enjoying it - i don't see why you couldn't get a C at least.

Thank you! I have told people until I'm blue in the face that being good at maths doesn't make you good at physics and vice versa.

OP I'm afraid that I'm with your parents on this one. The rule of thumb is that you drop a grade going from GCSE to A level so you will most likely come out with a D or worse in A level physics. Physics is the second hardest A level and I know many people with As and Bs at GCSE who ended up with Es in A level physics because they just couldn't make that jump. Even if you managed a C that grad I'm sorry to say is pretty worthless for most universities these days. To get into a good uni you need BBB at least.
Reply 70
I was reading through this thread until I realised it's from back in 2007 :dry:.
I'm thinking of doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry in A2. If anyone has taken this combination of subjects can you tell me how you found it and whether Maths is as difficult later on in the course as people tend to say? n
A level physics is very very hard, I do A level maths, further maths, chemistry and physics and physics is by far the hardest one out of them, however it does get easier the more you do. If you do decide to do it I would recommend doing the most revision for it out of all your subjects, unless you're not struggling or you're finding one or more of your other subjects harder. :smile:
Could you help me with physics a level if u had spare time??
Original post by QE5
I want to do Physics at A level, however my friends and family are against because they say its too difficult, and I would be lucky to get an E, judging by my GCSE grades.

9 years later, i'm in the exact same position as you LOL!
I'm gonna take if I get As at GCSE maths and physics.
Reply 75
Original post by Mahfuz_A
9 years later, i'm in the exact same position as you LOL!
I'm gonna take if I get As at GCSE maths and physics.

Lol. Time flies, you should be fine with Grades A in GCSE. For me, it was the wrong option, didn't enjoy it.
I just got my results today and I didn't expect to do this badly in my eyes, I got a B in Maths and B-Physics and 2Cs in Biology and Chemistry. But I chose to do Maths and Physics for A levels. Do you think I should do Physics ?? I can't choose between Physics and Economics. As I would like to do Architecture in the future :wink:.

Would be really thankful if I could get some opinions
Reply 77
I currently do A-level physics, and i think that it is the most difficult think i have ever attempted. I got all A`s at GCSE across all subjects, so was confident, but i am now on track for a U or E at A-level physics. It isn`t for everyone and that`s okay, but maybe its worth a try or you`ll be stuck thinking "what if". I think that one of the reasons i find it so difficult is because there is only one past paper as it is AQA reformed, meaning there is a new syllabus.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by B1602027
I currently do A-level physics, and i think that it is the most difficult think i have ever attempted. I got all A`s at GCSE across all subjects, so was confident, but i am now on track for a U or E at A-level physics. It isn`t for everyone and that`s okay, but maybe its worth a try or you`ll be stuck thinking

if you could approximate the number of hours you've put into physics what would that number be
Reply 79
Original post by Apachai Hopachai
if you could approximate the number of hours you've put into physics what would that number be

other than the 4&1/2 hours per week in lessons, now as it is exam time, i do at least a that a week also outside of college, but at the start of the year, i didn`t do as much as that, id say 6 hours per week at the start of the year, and about nine now (including lesson time)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending