The Student Room Group

Not sure if this is in the right section but never mind..

I'm a bit confused on the whole points situation. The course I want to do requires 240 points at most uni's which is CCC I believe. Now, does this mean 240 points from just A2 grades? If so, what happens with the points from AS? Are they just disregarded or what?

Sorry about the clear lack of knowledge here :rolleyes:
Reply 1
well, your points from AS aren't disregarded, they're just sort of 'eclipsed' by your A2 points. Eg, if you get a B at AS (50 points) and then carry that subject on to A2 and get a B overall you'll have 100 points, not 150 points.

However, if you get a B at As and then drop the subject, your 50 points from that AS go towards your points total. I hope that makes sense.

Edit: It doesn't mean 240 just from your A2 grades, it's 240 points altogether taking into account the points I mentioned above
Reply 2
Be careful though - points listed in the prospectus aren't always clearly defined and may be based on 3 A2s. You won't know for definite until you get you offer. Sometimes offers will request specific grades for certain subjects, or may only include exams sat in a certain session, or may specify from 3 a levels. Some unis will include your dropped AS in offers, and others won't.
Reply 3
OK thanks guys, Sheff Hallam requires CCC.

May aswell ask my off topic question here too, how do I find out if the uni/course accepts General Studies? Or do no universities accept it?
As others have said, it completely depends on the uni and the offer they give you. Sometimes they'll say 240 points from 3 A-levels and sometimes they'll just say 240 points. As for General Studies, it should say in the prospectus or on the website whether the uni accepts it. Make sure you check the entry requirements for the course you want to do as well because sometimes certain courses accept it and others don't.
Reply 5
kellywood_5
As others have said, it completely depends on the uni and the offer they give you. Sometimes they'll say 240 points from 3 A-levels and sometimes they'll just say 240 points. As for General Studies, it should say in the prospectus or on the website whether the uni accepts it. Make sure you check the entry requirements for the course you want to do as well because sometimes certain courses accept it and others don't.

This is from the university website, for the course I want to do.

Normally GCSE English language and mathematics at grade C or above, plus one of the following

240 points from at least two GCE/VCE A levels or BTEC National qualifications, including at least 80 points in a relevant* subject, or from a VCE double award plus one GCE A level in a relevant* subject, which must contribute at least 80 points. AS levels and Key Skills may count towards these points.

* Relevant subjects are media studies communication studies film studies English a foreign language sociology politics history economics psychology art and design.

What do you think about the points question based on that information?

And also, the course is Journalism, which I assume English A2 is key for this. If I dropped English but still had Psychology & History at A2, do you think that would matter? Or do you think I'll definately need an English A2?
Reply 6
Azza
This is from the university website, for the course I want to do.
And also, the course is Journalism, which I assume English A2 is key for this. If I dropped English but still had Psychology & History at A2, do you think that would matter? Or do you think I'll definitely need an English A2?

It tells you what the relevant subjects are, so you need to get 80 points in History or Psychology (both of which are relevant subjects according to that) and get one other A level. The rest of the points you can get from other A levels or AS levels. Since it doesn't say General Studies isn't included, I would assume it is.
So therefore you can drop English if you want to.
Hope that helped, Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Aula
It tells you what the relevant subjects are, so you need to get 80 points in History or Psychology (both of which are relevant subjects according to that) and get one other A level. The rest of the points you can get from other A levels or AS levels. Since it doesn't say General Studies isn't included, I would assume it is.
So therefore you can drop English if you want to.
Hope that helped, Good luck :smile:

That's exactly what I hoped for, thanks alot :smile:
Azza
What do you think about the points question based on that information?

And also, the course is Journalism, which I assume English A2 is key for this. If I dropped English but still had Psychology & History at A2, do you think that would matter? Or do you think I'll definitely need an English A2?

You need 240 points altogether. You need at least 2 full A-levels. You need 80 points (a C) in either psychology or history. So you can do 3 A-levels and an AS, 3 A-levels, 2 A-levels and 2 ASs, 2 A-levels and an AS or 2 A-levels, as long as you get 240 points and you have a C in A-level psychology or history. Pretty flexible. Psychology and history are both relevant subjects along with English and you only need one of them, so dropping English shouldn't harm your chances.

Latest

Trending

Trending