The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bendent1234
Hey guys, I'm starting a thread for 2018 Applicants as I don't believe there is one

I will be applying for MEng Computing (Artificial Intelligence)

GCSEs:
4A*, 6As, 1B

FSMQ:
Add Maths: A

Currently studying:
Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Computer Science (OCR)
French (AQA)

AS Predictions:
AA (M/FM)

Hi Ben,

I'm a third year Computer Science student at Imperial, and have just had a quick scan over your profile. It's often said that it's important to have a goal, like a university place (such as yourself), but I really cannot stress how important it is to nail the fundamentals of the likes of M1 and M2, which you really shouldn't be struggling with at this stage in Year 12. To be honest, before you've got that sorted, you shouldn't be considering universities anywhere near the calibre of Imperial.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies!

Kind regards,

Alex
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Dashboard
Hi Ben,

I'm a third year Computer Science student at Imperial, and have just had a quick scan over your profile. It's often said that it's important to have a goal, like a university place (such as yourself), but I really cannot stress how important it is to nail the fundamentals of the likes of M1 and M2, which you really shouldn't be struggling with at this stage in Year 12. To be honest, before you've got that sorted, you shouldn't be considering universities anywhere near the calibre of Imperial.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies!

Kind regards,

Alex

I appreciate your concern. However, when I asked those questions for help we had literally spent 30 mins on those topics so far and I also do not do A Level or Pre-U Physics, which everyone else in my FM set does so they have significantly more practice. I appreciate that you might have been trying to help but I didn't think your comment was particularly constructive
Original post by bendent1234
I appreciate your concern. However, when I asked those questions for help we had literally spent 30 mins on those topics so far and I also do not do A Level or Pre-U Physics, which everyone else in my FM set does so they have significantly more practice. I appreciate that you might have been trying to help but I didn't think your comment was particularly constructive

Hi Ben,

I'm glad to hear that you've mastered Centres of Mass: despite the fact it's not covered in either Pre-U and A Level physics, I guess it's easy to make such an assumption when you struggle. I hope this success continues far into your studies!

Best wishes,

Alex
Intended subject: Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics with Theoretical Physics.
Advanced Placement: 5 in Calculus BC, Physics C Mechanics, Physics C Electricity & magnetism. Next year I am going to take AP Chemistry and AP Statistics.
Predicted Grade 12 Average: 96
Not I don't want to take A-levels, it is simply unavailable in Ontario.

Extra-curriculum,
Peer tutoring Grade 12 physics next year. Participation in university physics enrichment program. Job shadowing thermonuclear reactor for a few days.

Please give me some suggestions about my chances to be accepted.
Applying for: Physics, Biomedical Engineering.

Zhongkao (the Chinese GCSEs):
9 subjects over 90%, 1 subject between 80%-90% (Chinese Lit&Lang)

A Levels:
Biology (predicted A*)
EPQ
Further Mathematics
Mathematics
Physics (predicted A*)

Extra-curriculum:
Tutoring Yr 8 Maths & Physics
Work Experience at an Observatory and a hospital lab
Local uni lectures
Student seminar
Electric car building
Subject competitions (Senior Kangaroo, Bio Olympiad, Physics AS Challenge)
School Prefect
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello,
I'm a student who will apply for materials science and engineering this year. I heard that very few students opt for this course. so can I get an offer if I meet the standard requirements.
My predicted grades are as follows
Math A*
physics A*
Chemistry A
How is the competition for this course?
and further how much chance do I have to get into ICL for this course.
hope you would reply soon
Thanks
Chaitanya
Reply 7
I'm applying for computer science this year at the Main Campus Building:

Maths A*
Further Maths A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
French A* (doubt they'll care here given it's such a soft A-level) :wink:
Original post by cpocha1
Hello,
I'm a student who will apply for materials science and engineering this year. I heard that very few students opt for this course. so can I get an offer if I meet the standard requirements.
My predicted grades are as follows
Math A*
physics A*
Chemistry A
How is the competition for this course?
and further how much chance do I have to get into ICL for this course.
hope you would reply soon
Thanks
Chaitanya

Very good predicted grades, well done!

In 2015, 541 applied to Materials at Imperial College and 111 got in (4.9:1 ratio) so yeah it is maybe a bit less competitive than other courses such as Mechanics, Computing or Maths in the same university. Nonetheless, be sure you clearly want to do materials science. Furthermore, the UCAS tariff score on entry averaged at 534 so it's still very hard to get into. I recommend you to not apply to this course if your motivation is that it is less competitive and you absolutely want to go to Imperial College; the admissions officer will most certainly notice that. You should apply where you are the most motivated to study as this will be seen during interviews and your personal statement.

Anyway, you have very good predicted grade so you should receive a conditional offer (if, of course, you have a strong personal statement, a good reference and succeed at interview if applicable). You must demonstrate your interest to the subject you want to study at Imperial College (on your personal statement and interview) and this should be proven by short internships and lectures. The most complicated thing will certainly be to meet your conditions!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Williamchen77
Intended subject: Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics with Theoretical Physics.
Advanced Placement: 5 in Calculus BC, Physics C Mechanics, Physics C Electricity & magnetism. Next year I am going to take AP Chemistry and AP Statistics.
Predicted Grade 12 Average: 96
Not I don't want to take A-levels, it is simply unavailable in Ontario.

Extra-curriculum,
Peer tutoring Grade 12 physics next year. Participation in university physics enrichment program. Job shadowing thermonuclear reactor for a few days.

Please give me some suggestions about my chances to be accepted.

I am not aware of the grading system of AP, but if 5 is the maximal grade, well done! Do not worry if you do not take A-levels, Imperial recognises a lot of international qualifications such as AP (and myself I got in with the French Baccalaureate). I am not an Imperial admissions officer, so if you want a really good feedback you should contact the admissions team of the Natural Sciences (for Physics) or/and the Engineering (for Mechanics) faculties (at [email protected] and [email protected]). Ideally, you can come here at Imperial College during an open day, there are lecturers and admissions officers who can really say if you have a chance; and students as me who can help you to enhance your personal statement!

The least I can say is that your extra-curriculum activities are impressive and I strongly encourage you to use these to show your commitment to physics in your personal statement and interview. You should maybe detail what was your assigned role when you were a trainee at the thermonuclear reactor. I was in 2016 a short-period trainee at CERN (the European Organisation for Nuclear Research) and I believe it had a strong influence on my acceptance. You have a chance to get into Imperial so I recommend you to apply anyway!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MelanieChen
Applying for: Physics, Biomedical Engineering.

Zhongkao (the Chinese GCSEs):
9 subjects over 90%, 1 subject between 80%-90% (Chinese Lit&Lang)

A Levels:
Biology (predicted A*)
EPQ
Further Mathematics
Mathematics
Physics (predicted A*)

Extra-curriculum:
Tutoring Yr 8 Maths & Physics
Work Experience at an Observatory and a hospital lab
Local uni lectures
Student seminar
Electric car building
Subject competitions (Senior Kangaroo, Bio Olympiad, Physics AS Challenge)
School Prefect

You have very good grades and extra-curriculum. IMO you will be a very good applicant for Biomedical Engineering seen your grades, A-levels predictions and extra-curriculum. You have a good experience in mechanics and show a lot of interest to biology. Maybe it would be wiser to apply to Mechanics instead of Physics as it will be easier in your personal statement to explain why you are a good applicant for both Biomedical and Mechanical engineering than being a good physics theorist and a good biomedical engineer.
Original post by PMC01234
I am not aware of the grading system of AP, but if 5 is the maximal grade, well done! Do not worry if you do not take A-levels, Imperial recognises a lot of international qualifications such as AP (and myself I got in with the French Baccalaureate). I am not an Imperial admissions officer, so if you want a really good feedback you should contact the admissions team of the Natural Sciences (for Physics) or/and the Engineering (for Mechanics) faculties (at [email protected] and [email protected]). Ideally, you can come here at Imperial College during an open day, there are lecturers and admissions officers who can really say if you have a chance; and students as me who can help you to enhance your personal statement!

The least I can say is that your extra-curriculum activities are impressive and I strongly encourage you to use these to show your commitment to physics in your personal statement and interview. You should maybe detail what was your assigned role when you were a trainee at the thermonuclear reactor. I was in 2016 a short-period trainee at CERN (the European Organisation for Nuclear Research) and I believe it had a strong influence on my acceptance. You have a chance to get into Imperial so I recommend you to apply anyway!

Thank you for the advice! I am indeed going to cooperate my experience at the tokamak reactor into my personal statement. The AP's are considered to a less degree than A-levels and its UCAS tariff point only worth half of them. But Imperial website claimed they are considered so I looking forward applying.
Hi!:smile:
Subject: Chemistry
GCSE grades: 9A*s, 1A
AS: A in Maths, A in Chemistry, A in Biology
A level predictions: A*(chem.)AA
My predicted grades match the entry requirements, but I am not sure if they are good enough compared to other applicants - any advice?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anony1502
Hi!:smile:
Subject: Chemistry
GCSE grades: 9A*s, 1A
AS: A in Maths, A in Chemistry, A in Biology
A level predictions: A*(chem.)AA
My predicted grades match the entry requirements, but I am not sure if they are good enough compared to other applicants - any advice?

Hi! You meet the requirements so you may receive a conditional offer but it will most certainly be A*A*A (with A*s in Chemistry and Maths) as stronger applicants have A*A*A or plus (or A*A*AA). Do you feel ok to get an A* in maths?
Reply 14
Hi
Subject: Biological sciences offer (AAA)
IGCSE: 3A* 4A 4B
AS: AABB (Chemistry econ maths biology)
A level predictions :A*AA

What are my chances and advice on getting in?
Thanks
Subject: Medicine
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
AS: A (Maths)
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, FM) [lol never going to happen]
Original post by TonyAs
Hi
Subject: Biological sciences offer (AAA)
IGCSE: 3A* 4A 4B
AS: AABB (Chemistry econ maths biology)
A level predictions :A*AA

What are my chances and advice on getting in?
Thanks

You have very similar results to one of my friends on the Biological Sciences course. This was four years ago now, but I don't think you would be rejected purely on your grades - good luck :smile:
Original post by surina16
Subject: Medicine
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
AS: A (Maths)
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, FM) [lol never going to happen]

:gah: :wavingtheflag:
Reply 18
Thinking of applying to Maths and Computer Science

Achieved A2: A*AA in maths physics ICT and predicted A*A* in Further maths and further additional maths.
AS: AABC
GCSEs: A*AAAAABBBB

do I even stand a shot? Everyone seems to have like 5 A*s...
Reply 19
Hello,
I was wondering if we have to give in AS grades in UCAS when applying
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending