The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
paddy
My friends from N.I., teachers, employers (including Bank of Ireland who I am currently working for), plus rankings. I mean blah blah blah rankings aren't very reliable, but if you're at 33 (which IIRC is the highest Queens has been for a while) then there's obviously something not right.
And not that it's entirely relevent but I'm going to UCL ^o)

Oh dear, bad reputation eh, looks like Northern Ireland employers are going to have no employees, if Queens is terrible, what is the University of Ulster?

And most people who go to Universities in Scotland/England tend to thankfully stay there, so really the Northern Ireland employers can't get them.

During work experience I had several courses at Queens recommended to me by employers. Management being one of them, top 15 in the UK.

Sorry for asking a question that wasn't relevant
Reply 21
the guardian's 2008 table puts Queens 10th in the UK for Business/Management (inc. 8/10 job prospects), so the department couldn't be that bad.

the subject specific rankings are more meaningful than the overall tables really. Plenty of universities are high in the overall table but that doesn't mean they don't have departments in certain subjects that are awful in comparison to the world class depts. that actually got them the high ranking in the first place. Likewise, there are universities that are quite low in the rankings that have excellent departments for certain subjects.
Reply 22
the name is probably the most important. If you graduate from oxbridge, employers will be like WOW!!!!!!!

If you graduate from warwick, bath, king's college, manchester, nottingham, LSE, Edinburgh, employers will be like wow!!!

If you graduate from city, Leeds, aston employers will be like wow.
Reply 23
iamsmart
Oh dear, bad reputation eh, looks like Northern Ireland employers are going to have no employees, if Queens is terrible, what is the University of Ulster?

And most people who go to Universities in Scotland/England tend to thankfully stay there, so really the Northern Ireland employers can't get them.

During work experience I had several courses at Queens recommended to me by employers. Management being one of them, top 15 in the UK.

Sorry for asking a question that wasn't relevant

OMG not a spelling mistake:eek:
Top 15 in the UK is it? I highly doubt that, not least because I would have heard of it when I was doing my research last year. Oh and also because of http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Business+Studies&sub=3&x=38&y=15 (if you can't find Queens in the top 20 then try looking a little lower, say 39).
And why would graduating from a crap uni mean you wouldn't get a job? As you say most people who leave to UK unis tend to stay there, so Northern Irish employers don't really have an awful lot of choice over what uni their new graduates are from then it would seem.
Oh and if Queens is terrible (which it is) then you do the math about Ulster:rolleyes:
I'm sorry you don't seem able to take this news very well, but it's true and, let's face it, this isn't going to be the last time you'll hear it, so I suggest you deal with the fact that Queens is rubbish.
Or, crazy idea I know, but couldn't you just apply to a good university?
Reply 24
mermania
the guardian's 2008 table puts Queens 10th in the UK for Business/Management (inc. 8/10 job prospects), so the department couldn't be that bad.

the subject specific rankings are more meaningful than the overall tables really. Plenty of universities are high in the overall table but that doesn't mean they don't have departments in certain subjects that are awful in comparison to the world class depts. that actually got them the high ranking in the first place. Likewise, there are universities that are quite low in the rankings that have excellent departments for certain subjects.

Thanks Mermania

paddy
Top 15 in the UK is it? I highly doubt that, not least because I would have heard of it when I was doing my research last year. Oh and also because of http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Business+Studies&sub=3&x=38&y=15 (if you can't find Queens in the top 20 then try looking a little lower, say 39).
And why would graduating from a crap uni mean you wouldn't get a job? As you say most people who leave to UK unis tend to stay there, so Northern Irish employers don't really have an awful lot of choice over what uni their new graduates are from then it would seem.
Oh and if Queens is terrible (which it is) then you do the math about Ulster:rolleyes:
I'm sorry you don't seem able to take this news very well, but it's true and, let's face it, this isn't going to be the last time you'll hear it, so I suggest you deal with the fact that Queens is rubbish.
Or, crazy idea I know, but couldn't you just apply to a good university?

It's not that i "don't seem able to take this news very well" it's that your comments regarding Queens being terrible are complete rubbish, look at what Mermania said.

Apply to a good university - sure that's what I'm going to do :smile: It's not like I'm going to apply to MMU or Leeds Met or somewhere that really is crap. :smile:
Reply 25
iamsmart
It's not that i "don't seem able to take this news very well" it's that your comments regarding Queens being terrible are complete rubbish, look at what Mermania said.

Apply to a good university - sure that's what I'm going to do :smile: It's not like I'm going to apply to MMU or Leeds Met or somewhere that really is crap. :smile:

I ignored Mermania for a reason:rolleyes: (firstly because the Guardian is a piece of crap, and secondly because she called herself after a barbie)
My comments aren't complete rubbish, you will not find a prestigious employer recommending Queens to ANYONE outside of Northern Ireland. Why? Because it's not good.
Reply 26
paddy

i'm not saying Queen's is amazing or anything, but the only reason it's so low there is because that's the Business Studies course. it's not taught by the same department, there's a separate School of Management at Queen's and the Times list didn't have 'Management' on its course list, hence why I referred to the Guardian instead.

anyway, I'm not really that bothered, just thought I'd clear that up.
bye

Latest

Trending

Trending