The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Laptop or Desktop PC

I have a dilemma guys, im moving next week, 16th Sept as every1 else, now i have a laptop that is useless and i also have a desktop pc which is really nice works perfectly, which 1 shud i bring to uni? if i bring my desktop pc thats going to be my music, and tv sorted because il put a tv card in the pc, where as if i take a laptop my dad said that i can work elsewhere not just in my room, and im not allowed to take them both because my parents need to connect the router to a computer system.
So which one should i take.

my PC or my Laptop??

Scroll to see replies

Well it's pretty much your decision.

However, you WILL need a TV License even if you watch it on your PC/laptop.

There is no wireless connectivity in Brunel Halls of Residence, and you will need to be connected to the Brunel network via a ethernet cable (I think), NOT a Modem cable.

Your laptop will give you greater flexibility, but obviously you won't have your music storage with you, unless you can burn the best of it to a CD and then import.

Regarding a TV Licence, you must apply NOW because it takes 10 working days for it to be sent to you. So you won't be able to watch TV at all in the first week or two at uni because the licence won't have arrived yet.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Personally I dont want to be hauling my desktop in and out of halls everytime I have to go home/move... so thats my reason why im taking a laptop... very portable, can carry around with you, wireless etc

As you say yours is quite basic (or not very good)...maybe you could use the laptop for small jobs, and maybe Uni computers for anything thats going to be really tasking.

But i suppose its just personal preference... if you rather have a desktop just take it along with you.
But in order to connect to the net whilst staying in Halls, he will need to plug his laptop into the mains - so its not really a laptop is it? In that sense, there is no difference between a laptop and a desktop.
Reply 4
Except for the fact that I can easily transport my laptop on trains...

If you dont need this portability then I guess Lee is right, it doesent really matter which one you have.
Reply 5
I cant remember where I read it but I do believe you can get wireless internet access at Brunel. I'll try and hunt down the info.
Reply 6
Slater85
I cant remember where I read it but I do believe you can get wireless internet access at Brunel. I'll try and hunt down the info.

I think there are one or two places you can get wireless at brunel, I think i read it was the library and the lecture centre... but dont hold me to that!
Reply 7
robbo3045
I think there are one or two places you can get wireless at brunel, I think i read it was the library and the lecture centre... but dont hold me to that!

Ahh yes I just found it.
"The RoamNet wireless service is available in various areas around campus, i.e. The Library (Bannerman Centre), Central Lecture Block, The Hamilton Centre, Mary Seacole, St Johns, etc. In order to use the wireless network you will need your wireless card (or internal wireless) to be WPA complient (i.e. the encryption / security)."
I really don't want to use Brunel's network regardless of whether I am on campus or in Halls. I want to remain completely independent of their draconian Big Brother overseeing.

Will this be possible? :confused: I keep thinking that I can 'buy' a network from a supplier like 02 or Vodafone (also so I do not have to share bandwidth with 2000 other students), but my brother says that is impossible. :confused:
Reply 9
Try asking on the Bruwat.com forums, thats where I got the info on wireless from. They should know if its possible or not.
Reply 10
hey andy you said about the tv lisence, its 130 pounds is there anyway of paying that in installments because i cant afford 130 straight up
Think they do direct debit which is about £5 a week!
I read it somewhere and it said £11 a month.
Nav420
hey andy you said about the tv lisence, its 130 pounds is there anyway of paying that in installments because i cant afford 130 straight up

You can do so by direct debit on their website (ways of paying). I did mine last week and I am making monthly instalments throughout the year.
Reply 14
I opted for a desktop because i believe there are computers available around the uni to use. Another reason is for the security of carrying an expensive laptop with current work on it when this can otherwise be carried via usb or ipod.
TBH, I don't like the idea of carrying a laptop with me when walking from Uxbridge Tube station to Campus. :s-smilie: And let's face it, we wouldnt be much safer on a bus these days. :rolleyes:

Thats why I was planning on leaving the laptop in my uni room when I go back home for the weekends. I know it is risky (first floor room) but honestly, who the hell will have access to my room? Only the cleaners, and if it goes missing they will all be sacked anyway.

I doubt my flatmates will break the door down whilst I'm gone.
Reply 16
exactly, good points.

also i think we have room insurance which covers listed possesions.. not sure on the details though yet..anyone know?
I dont think laptops are covered by the standard room insurance, I think you can cover them but at an extra cost. I heard there have been quite a few burglaries at student halls while they were away from Uni on holidays... dont know how true this is though.
Reply 18
Lol i seriously dont know what to do now arghhhh
Reply 19
Andy Pipkin
Well it's pretty much your decision.

However, you WILL need a TV License even if you watch it on your PC/laptop.

There is no wireless connectivity in Brunel Halls of Residence, and you will need to be connected to the Brunel network via a ethernet cable (I think), NOT a Modem cable.

Your laptop will give you greater flexibility, but obviously you won't have your music storage with you, unless you can burn the best of it to a CD and then import.

Regarding a TV Licence, you must apply NOW because it takes 10 working days for it to be sent to you. So you won't be able to watch TV at all in the first week or two at uni because the licence won't have arrived yet.

Are you serious? I swear theres wireless in the campus, when I was there, there was like 6 wireless routers in one room.

Latest

Trending

Trending