The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you usually get 1/3 off fares - so that would be £16.15 - you can check for sure on the trainline website.

I think oyster is valid on tube/train/bus within the london zone, if you can swipe in/out with it. the link is here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx
You need a Young Persons Railcard. I think it costs 20 pounds per year, and you get a third off rail travel.
Reply 3
more adventurous
You need a Young Persons Railcard. I think it costs 20 pounds per year, and you get a third off rail travel.

Or free with a natwest bank account (you get upto 5 years of railcard!)

And on standard fares theres no discount before a certain time during the week, peak time. (its 10am where i am)
I just checked a single rail fare between Uxbridge and Liverpool Street, it said is cost £4 Adult, and £4 Student. How is this possible? I do not get any student discount on my main train journey? :mad:
Reply 5
Which train company?

Is it an advanced fare, ie cheap singles?

You don't always get discounts on the advanced cheap singles.
Andy Pipkin
I just checked a single rail fare between Uxbridge and Liverpool Street, it said is cost £4 Adult, and £4 Student. How is this possible? I do not get any student discount on my main train journey? :mad:

There's a minimum spend of 8 pounds with the Young Persons Railcard. If the ticket is less than 8 pounds, you don't get a discount.
It was just with the Tube (check the link you gave me - it's on the right hand side).

I can go cheaper with an Oyster, but otherwise there is no discount.
Reply 8
more adventurous
There's a minimum spend of 8 pounds with the Young Persons Railcard. If the ticket is less than 8 pounds, you don't get a discount.

Thats wrong - i cna use it at home on fares less than £8:

My fave journeys are £1.00 return (or adult £1.40)
or £2.40 when the adult fare is over £3.00.

There is a minimum fare during peak times, and that may be £8. (thats the early morning fares i mentioned earlier)
You only get a student discount (with the Oyster) on Travelcards, not singles.
Reply 10
Andy Pipkin
It was just with the Tube (check the link you gave me - it's on the right hand side).

I can go cheaper with an Oyster, but otherwise there is no discount.

The railcard is only valid on national rail trains. (not tube)

the student thing is a tube thing.
~Kirsty~
Thats wrong - i cna use it at home on fares less than £8:

My fave journeys are £1.00 return (or adult £1.40)
or £2.40 when the adult fare is over £3.00.

There is a minimum fare during peak times, and that may be £8. (thats the early morning fares i mentioned earlier)

I thought you just couldn't use it during peak? Or have the changed it?

Be nice if you can use it inside peak times. I hate making my trips to Slough/Uxbridge at 5am, just to avoid peak :biggrin:
Reply 12
LooksLikeJesus
I thought you just couldn't use it during peak? Or have the changed it?

Be nice if you can use it inside peak times. I hate making my trips to Slough/Uxbridge at 5am, just to avoid peak :biggrin:

I think the rules are theres a minimum fare of at least £8 during peak - you can check on trainline to see what the fares are - thats what i do, put in YP railcard, then put in adult, and see if theres a difference.
Reply 13
YP railcard T+C's say:

Minimum fares / Time restrictions
Travelling before 10am minimum fares:
This applies to all tickets except the Off-Peak Day Travelcard (All Zones only) which has separate minimum fare conditions. On or before 10am Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays and during July and August) there is a minimum fare that applies to all purchases with a Young Persons Railcard. This is either £8.00 or £16.00 depending on the type of ticket being purchased. Most will be £8.00, but the following ticket types have a minimum fare of £16.00: Standard Day Returns, Standard Open Returns, European Open Returns.

For example: If an undiscounted Single ticket costs £8.50 and the normal 1/3 discount makes the fare £5.60, you will have to pay the minimum fare of £8.00.

If an undiscounted Standard Open Return costs £27.00, then you will get the full 1/3 discount as the discounted fare of £17.80 is higher than the £16.00 minimum fare.

If you travel regularly before 10am, then a weekly or monthly season ticket may be more appropriate.

Off-Peak Day Travelcards (All Zones only):
Before 10am Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays and in July and August) the minimum fare is £8.00. At and after 10am on Monday to Friday and as advertised on Saturdays, Sundays, Public Holidays and during July and August the minimum fare is £4.80.
~Kirsty~
On or before 10am Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays and during July and August)

There you are. Thats the reason why youve got it before 10am. I bet you wont get it now
Reply 15
i never said my travel was before 10am. (i didn't think we were discussing it for travel in the morning!) :wink:

You can use it before 10am at weekends too, its like the july and august rule - a fact i reminded the train conductor at on my last train journey! (He said its the 1st september, you can't use that yet, my reply, its saturday though, his answer, oh yeah....)
I misread a few posts. Dont worry its me speed reading again.
Costs me £15 for a cheap day return & all day travel card from Chi to London Victoria
hmm, I always get discount with my railcard on returns to Birmingham, and that's only £4ish normally. :s
Reply 19
Anyway - i've a question, you can use the railcard to get a discount on off peak travel cards in london, but does anyone know how to get the travelcard, do you get it from the rail ticket office (theres something about you can't get it from the underground ticket office...)

Latest

Trending

Trending