The Student Room Group

strating AS tomorrow

Well strating my AS and fealing a bit scared. I feal I might find the work and work load hard. Im doing biology and chemistry with OCR achieved a CC in GCSE applied sciences, which has been 2 years ago. I just hope I havent forgot most of the GCSE material.

Anyone who has these GCSE grades how have you found Alevel sciences in particular biology and chemistry and what have you achieved.

Any advice to help me chill out would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
Every time you finish a new topic, do as many practise questions in Chemistry as possible and you should be fine. Chemistry is probably the more challenging compared to Biology.

I got A in Biology, Chemistry, Physics (258 260 262 out of 300 respectively) after getting A's at GCSE Chem+Bio and A*at Physics.

It shouldn't be too hard but just make sure you are prepared to work your socks off - have a glance at what your next lessons topics are gonna be before you go into lessons; try and understand the concepts being explained by summarising them in succint notes. So when you go into the lesson you can not only clarify what you didn't understand beforehand, you can revise what you already have learnt.
Reply 2
I didn't do science for A level but I got BBCCCCCCCCDD at GCSE and am predicted mostly As for A level.
Reply 3
Do not let what you got at GCSE limit your view as to what you can get at A level. If your willing to put in the hard work, you can achieve whatever you want.
I do Biology and Chemistry OCR, and got a B for both (hopefully resitting a module in each to get A). I personally find chemistry slightly easier, but thats only because biology has loads of long words and a lot of remembering.

You will quickly find out that a lot of what they told you at GCSE was very simplified compared with A level. Our teachers always make a joke that what they were telling us at GCSE was a lie. So even if you have forgotten stuff at GCSE, you will probably recap what you need to know, and learn the new complication version. For example in biology, we always thought respiration to be that nice little formula but we are now learning it has many more stages, and although its complicated, it is so much more interesting!

Just keep on top of your homeworks and notes and you should be fine :smile: good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies. Yep hopefully will be fine if I keep on top of things. I just need to try to stress less and do more studying lol.
Reply 5
i had CC in science at GCSE...A-Level Biology and Chemistry are a totally different story, CC shouldnt be a problem, well it wsnt for me, got B + A
Reply 6
bonnie.grant
Do not let what you got at GCSE limit your view as to what you can get at A level. If your willing to put in the hard work, you can achieve whatever you want.
I do Biology and Chemistry OCR, and got a B for both (hopefully resitting a module in each to get A). I personally find chemistry slightly easier, but thats only because biology has loads of long words and a lot of remembering.

You will quickly find out that a lot of what they told you at GCSE was very simplified compared with A level. Our teachers always make a joke that what they were telling us at GCSE was a lie. So even if you have forgotten stuff at GCSE, you will probably recap what you need to know, and learn the new complication version. For example in biology, we always thought respiration to be that nice little formula but we are now learning it has many more stages, and although its complicated, it is so much more interesting!

Just keep on top of your homeworks and notes and you should be fine :smile: good luck!

So true, except they tell us in sixth form that the stuff we learn now is not completely true either.

Latest