The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Corinna*
I don't think its solely chance. But things like proposal/references/written work are things that we cannot quantify like grades, so as applicants we cannot always know if our essays or proposals are good.

Seems reasonable to assume you got the funding because they saw you as an outstanding prospective candidate given your peer group of accepted applicants. Very little chance involved!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Crusty the Clown
Seems reasonable to assume you got the funding because they saw you as an outstanding prospective candidate given your peer group of accepted applicants. Very little chance involved!

well, in general, I still think that at some point it's a matter of luck. For example some universities I applied to only have one scholarship for about 40 people. I cannot accept that the person who ends up getting it is so much better (if at all) from the second, or third. Another thing that is particularly important, especially for a PhD, is the proposal. This again has a level of chance in it. We cannot always know what the committee will like, and different unis like different things.
Reply 2122
Original post by cyberpoet
Hahaha you edited the balaclava for baklava didnt you?? :biggrin:

I had a very giggly image of you with scary headgear wrapped around your face, robbing various baklava food stalls at 2am in the morning!! :tongue:

Hahaha! I was confused between the two things and once I saw your post, I had to correct my blunder. :biggrin: That image was true though minus the scary headgear and 2 am bit. I did go out to hunt baklava at 10 am and ended up roaming around half the town before finally finding it in the bakery of a 5 star hotel. One of most expensive cravings ever. :cookie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2123
In other news, one of my friends made it to the MSt. in Archaeology. So, it seems that Archaeology offers are on their way too.
Reply 2124
When one opts for an open application - does the computer that affixes one a college - do so one the basis of the number of applications made for a specific course (i.e. the one to which you applied to) or on the basis of the number of applicants for every course offered in that college?

Thanks.
Original post by Scout-
Hahaha! I was confused between the two things and once I saw your post, I had to correct my blunder. :biggrin: That image was true though minus the scary headgear and 2 am bit. I did go out to hunt baklava at 10 am and ended up roaming around half the town before finally finding it in the bakery of a 5 star hotel. One of most expensive cravings ever. :cookie:

Oh no!! :tongue: That'll teach us not to talk about yummy food late at night.

It's funny though that chatting about courses and apps doesnt ever spur me to suddenly hit the books or something. Same goes for Exercise or anything remotely good for me. It's like the power of suggestion only works for greedy, slothy stuff. :biggrin:
Nothing yet for English 1800-1914! :frown: Anyone in the UK get anything in the post today?!
Original post by AmericanLit
*faints from suspense waiting for English MSt replies*

Ok so I'm still waiting. From a thread scan I see that there's been many English MSt offers, well done to you all!

But offers arrived on Friday/Monday and it's now Wednesday, so I think I may have a rejection. I don't want to be fatalistic but it makes sense that they batch them, no? Has anyone been rejected?
Ok so I'm still waiting. From a thread scan I see that there's been many English MSt offers, well done to you all!

But offers arrived on Friday/Monday and it's now Wednesday, so I think I may have a rejection. I don't want to be fatalistic but it makes sense that they batch them, no? Has anyone been rejected?

If it's any consolation, I'm a 1900-present English MSt applicant still waiting on any kind of response (but now mostly resigned to being rejected). I feel your pain - it's awful not knowing either way... However, I'm taking some comfort from the fact that rejections don't yet seem to have gone out :s-smilie:
Eventually got that letter this morning with a conditional offer for the MSt in General Linguistics & Comparative Philology, yeey! The conditions are a little vague though "A very good result in your current degree." - did anybody see that phrase before and can enlighten me upon how good "very good" is for the purposes of this?
Hahaha that is indeed vague. Lol
Reply 2131
Original post by MagLatus
Eventually got that letter this morning with a conditional offer for the MSt in General Linguistics & Comparative Philology, yeey! The conditions are a little vague though "A very good result in your current degree." - did anybody see that phrase before and can enlighten me upon how good "very good" is for the purposes of this?

I think that it is deliberately vague so that they have some latitute when your final result is known to you. It does not pre-commit them to rejecting you if a certain grade is not achieved.

I really wouldnt lose hope - they have approx 700 letters to process and send out, and it'll take some time. I was rejected for the DPhil. Not that I think they batch Accs & Rejs; both mine arrived at the same time.

Good luck with the outcome and hope you hear good news soon :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HLS
I think that it is deliberately vague so that they have some latitute when your final result is known to you. It does not pre-commit them to rejecting you if a certain grade is not achieved.

That sounds reasonable. Let's just hope it doesn't work the other way around (i.e. so they can still reject me even if I get a good 2:1/lower 1st...) :P
Reply 2134
For the Engineering folk, the Graduate office is closed this week so I wouldn't expect to see any movement until next Monday.
Reply 2135
That sounds reasonable. Let's just hope it doesn't work the other way around (i.e. so they can still reject me even if I get a good 2:1/lower 1st...) :P

Haha, I would expect not!
Reply 2136

Congratulations! I have an offer for the MPhil. My letter said exactly the same, but later specified this as 65%. Maybe that's helpful for you.
Has anyone heard anything from the Weidenfeld Scholarship? I applied to it, and am very curious if invitations have been sent out for the interview.
Reply 2138
Original post by happyphoenix
Nothing yet for English 1800-1914! :frown: Anyone in the UK get anything in the post today?!

Wow this post made my day. So glad to know someone else in my strand suffering too!!!!

We can keep each other company in our misery.
Every single friend of mine who has applied to stay has now received an offer. I am still waiting. :redface:

Money is coming in on me being the odd rejectee out..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending