The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3020
Just got a college place - Exeter College, Oxford. Anyone know what it's like from experience? Particularly for law?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3021
Original post by janjanmmm
If they did that (stop at 2000 words) they would be unable to see your conclusion and evaluate the overall strength of the essay, so I hope they did not do that :wink:

Well I got an offer so I think it was fine hehe :smile:
Original post by ExeterHistStudent
Hello all,

To preempt the next admissions cycle slightly, what sort of essays have applicants sent to fulfil the criteria of two 2,000 word essays?

I.e., do people submit pieces they have handed in in their second or third years, or are entirely unique ones written? And what would be an acceptable deviation from the wordcount?

Thanks!

I sent one 4000 words essay with the following: 'in lieu with the department' (this is what their website suggests you write when you upload a second, empty, document.)

Also, I sent one I wrote for a module at university, I think it makes far more sense to submit in work your already working on, unless you don't mind that extra work for the application.

Btw do colleges have deadlines? I'm sure its been 6 weeks since my offer, but I have heard nothing from no colleges. Is this normal?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TueJun
Just got a college place - Exeter College, Oxford. Anyone know what it's like from experience? Particularly for law?

congrats! do you by any chance know of how long after your offer you heard from a college?
Reply 3024
Original post by Student 01
Btw do colleges have deadlines? I'm sure its been 6 weeks since my offer, but I have heard nothing from no colleges. Is this normal?

As has been stated above there is an internal University deadline for Colleges to let the University know which candidates they are accepting and rejecting. The first deadline was 20th April (yesterday) and the final deadline I think is 4th May.

However I do not think this deadline compels the Colleges to let candidates know by said dates, so theoretically you could be waiting beyond these for confirmation.
Thanks - do you hear by post/email??
Thanks - do you hear by post/email??

I got my college offer (from my undergraduate college) on Friday, and heard by email. :smile:
Original post by thatfineframe
I got my college offer (from my undergraduate college) on Friday, and heard by email. :smile:

Ah, I might hear soon... although maybe this means I am in the 'pool' - or whatever they call it- given its past the deadline and I have not heard from my college.

My funding offer did state that the university has the right to change my college if necessary :s-smilie:
Original post by ACC_21
Well I got an offer so I think it was fine hehe :smile:

I guess it worked.
What I did is I edited both essays down to about 2100 words or so, preserving the intro and conclusion but making the body slightly more compressed. Worked for me, too :smile:
Original post by thatfineframe

Congrats! Any idea if the English faculty will inform me if my application's been returned to them or will I have to wait it out?
does anyone know if most colleges offer accommodation on grounds?
does anyone know if most colleges offer accommodation on grounds?

yeah, they don't :tongue:
Original post by *Corinna*
yeah, they don't :tongue:

:tongue:

Tis a shame - I am less bothered about what college all of a sudden seeing as I won't exactly be 'living' in it.
:tongue:

Tis a shame - I am less bothered about what college all of a sudden seeing as I won't exactly be 'living' in it.

yeah many people feel like that. Tbh I hardly spent any time at my college. Some colleges offer accommodation close to the college which is good but still many postgrads live out. I didn't really get the "college experience". Maybe as a PhD student it would be different as you generally have more time (at least at first :tongue:) but as an MSt student I spent most of my time in lessons and in the library.
Original post by equi
has anyone that applied to the last deadline (march 9) already heard back? is it common to hear back earlier than stated on the official website (allegedly mid-may)?

Hi, I am waiting for the same thing.. have been put on a re-evaluation... they do apply earlier too.. they sent me my notification earlier than was mentioned in the website...maybe May 1st week is the calling! which course have u applied for?
Original post by *Corinna*
yeah many people feel like that. Tbh I hardly spent any time at my college. Some colleges offer accommodation close to the college which is good but still many postgrads live out. I didn't really get the "college experience". Maybe as a PhD student it would be different as you generally have more time (at least at first :tongue:) but as an MSt student I spent most of my time in lessons and in the library.

It's a beautiful town, anywhere near the centre, and close by to the college/libraries will be great

Will students have to arrange accommodation outside college grounds, or does the university have some sort of a system. I imagine the university owns accommodation around Oxford itself, which it rents out to postgrad students - or is this really not the case at Oxford?
Hey guys, I know it's probably been asked before but can I accept an offer and turn it down later? If I accept will I have to pay a deposit/definitely have to go?
Reply 3037

Will students have to arrange accommodation outside college grounds, or does the university have some sort of a system. I imagine the university owns accommodation around Oxford itself, which it rents out to postgrad students - or is this really not the case at Oxford?

An email was sent out last week from the university accomodation office explaining how to apply for university (rather than college) owned property - I got the impression, however, that there wasn't enough for everyone ..

So I think some people live in college accomodation (majority), some in university accomodation (fewer people) and some in houses they privately rent (fewer still)?
Reply 3038
Hi,

I am strongly considering applying to the 'MSc in Social Science of the Internet' course offered at the OII (Oxford Internet Institute) for 2013 entry. I have read through the course description on the website and have also read through the course booklets provided.

My question is concerned with the reputation of the course. I couldn't get an idea on the international reputation/acceptance of the course.

Any views on its reputation ?
(edited 12 years ago)
It's a beautiful town, anywhere near the centre, and close by to the college/libraries will be great

you have to chase it up on your own. Apply for university accommodation now (it is already too late! I applied in the end of March last year and I was on the list for couples' accommodation which is less oversubscribed and I still barely managed to get something) and if your college tells you they can't offer you a place you need to start looking. However, most colleges manage to accommodate the majority of their first year postgrads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending