The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student 01
It's a beautiful town, anywhere near the centre, and close by to the college/libraries will be great

Will students have to arrange accommodation outside college grounds, or does the university have some sort of a system. I imagine the university owns accommodation around Oxford itself, which it rents out to postgrad students - or is this really not the case at Oxford?

Don't confuse College and university. I'm not sure if you have, but you seem to have missed the most obvious middle stage. Although colleges don't usually accommodate post grads on the main college site, ie around the ancient quads, they usually own accommodation nearby in the form of halls or more often houses around town. So there is still a chance of getting college accommodation, ie subsidised, near to college etc. If not, then there is some university accommodation, and then there is the private sector.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3041
I will not, if I can help it, rent private accommodation at all during the whole of my four years at Oxford, except in very controlled circumstances.

The benefits of University/College accommodation for me are overwhelming, not least for the legal and financial simplicitly they offer.
Reply 3042
Original post by cyberpoet
Sorry about that and hope you hear soon. Which course did you apply to?

Cheers. I applied to the MFoCS course (mathematical institute). It seems they're really lagging behind this year... In previous years people heard by late February heh.

How about yourself? Already accepted I'm guessing.
Original post by redflipflop
Hey guys, I know it's probably been asked before but can I accept an offer and turn it down later? If I accept will I have to pay a deposit/definitely have to go?

Does anyone know? My offer deadline is this week, so I need to know if accepting it will mean I definitely must go.
Does anyone know? My offer deadline is this week, so I need to know if accepting it will mean I definitely must go.

Hey there,

My department said that I could accept now and withdraw later if need be (as I was unsure about whether or not I would be able to secure funding). Nothing was said about withdrawal fees or anything of the like, however.

Hope this helps, but perhaps it would be best to double check with your department too.

All the best :smile:
Reply 3045
hey , this is a question for anyone who knows how the masters lectures and sems work in oxford and is currently there .. so i've been offered a room on tyndale street by my college (st.hilda's) but my department is on banbury , way on the other side of town . my college does not have anything close to the centre , tyndale being the closest. should i rent privately , somewhere midway between college and dept or does this not matter at all. do many students live around tyndale street or is it a residential area? any ideas would be helpful !
Original post by BallofNerves
Hey there,

My department said that I could accept now and withdraw later if need be (as I was unsure about whether or not I would be able to secure funding). Nothing was said about withdrawal fees or anything of the like, however.

Hope this helps, but perhaps it would be best to double check with your department too.

Thanks for the advice, it feels a little deceptive to do it this way but I'm not ready to make a decision yet.
Thanks for the advice, it feels a little deceptive to do it this way but I'm not ready to make a decision yet.

No problem - I also felt a bit bad about doing it this way, which is why I originally asked the department if there was any chance that my deadline could be extended ('til after I heard back re: funding). I was surprised that their reply was to suggest the accept-now/withdraw-later combo. I guess it probably means that: (a) they encounter similar situations quite frequently, and (b) they don't seem to mind *too* much when people accept offers then withdraw their acceptances later.

^ Sorry about the spiel, I just wanted to get across that (perhaps) you shouldn't feel too bad about doing it that way :redface:
Reply 3048
Original post by Gaia91
hey , this is a question for anyone who knows how the masters lectures and sems work in oxford and is currently there .. so i've been offered a room on tyndale street by my college (st.hilda's) but my department is on banbury , way on the other side of town . my college does not have anything close to the centre , tyndale being the closest. should i rent privately , somewhere midway between college and dept or does this not matter at all. do many students live around tyndale street or is it a residential area? any ideas would be helpful !

They offered you a room already? When did you give them your financial guarantee? I sent the accommodation form in a while ago, and the financial guarantee form also a few weeks ago, so I'm wondering if I should contact them myself regarding accommodation? Thanks!
Original post by HLS
I will not, if I can help it, rent private accommodation at all during the whole of my four years at Oxford, except in very controlled circumstances.

The benefits of University/College accommodation for me are overwhelming, not least for the legal and financial simplicitly they offer.

Tbh that will very much depend on your college. Many of them do not offer grad accommodation for four years. Also, college accommodation is great for the first year, when you don't know the area or anyone there, but there are advantages to living out later on.

Original post by Gaia91

Tyndale is a very good location, close to your college, and very close to the centre of Oxford. It's a very studenty area, Cowley is full of students. What is your department? You are probably looking at around a 10 minute bike ride. All the buildings in the centre of Oxford are colleges or commercial, so if you were to rent privately you'd be looking at going further out in Cowley, or in Jericho, or further down the Banbury road.
Reply 3050
Original post by Little Jules
Tbh that will very much depend on your college. Many of them do not offer grad accommodation for four years. Also, college accommodation is great for the first year, when you don't know the area or anyone there, but there are advantages to living out later on.

I do understand, but as I say the legal and financial advantages outweigh any supposed benefits of private accommodation for me.

There are ways of remaining in college. I have been quite thorough in researching this :smile:
Original post by BallofNerves
No problem - I also felt a bit bad about doing it this way, which is why I originally asked the department if there was any chance that my deadline could be extended ('til after I heard back re: funding). I was surprised that their reply was to suggest the accept-now/withdraw-later combo. I guess it probably means that: (a) they encounter similar situations quite frequently, and (b) they don't seem to mind *too* much when people accept offers then withdraw their acceptances later.

^ Sorry about the spiel, I just wanted to get across that (perhaps) you shouldn't feel too bad about doing it that way :redface:

Thanks, it makes me feel A LOT better knowing that it's probably quite common. I appreciate your help (and spiel) :smile:
Reply 3052
Original post by Gaia91

Whereabouts is Tyndale Street? The only place I could find on googlemaps was Tyndale Place, way out in Wheatley!

That said, if Tyndale Street is near St Hilda's, don't get too infected by the idea of the 'Oxford mile'. :tongue: The university parts of the city really are ludicrously small and you could easily get to Banbury Road in half an hour at a good walking pace, much less if you cycle. As others have said, it's very difficult to rent in the town centre, so you could rent privately in the Jericho area, but then you'd be far away from your college and the MCR. If I were you, I'd go for college-owned accommodation and get a bike. :smile: Colleges are also much gentler landlords than private letting agents!
Reply 3053
Original post by Little Jules

Tyndale is a very good location, close to your college, and very close to the centre of Oxford. It's a very studenty area, Cowley is full of students. What is your department? You are probably looking at around a 10 minute bike ride. All the buildings in the centre of Oxford are colleges or commercial, so if you were to rent privately you'd be looking at going further out in Cowley, or in Jericho, or further down the Banbury road.

Social anthropology..
Reply 3054
Original post by Knisper
They offered you a room already? When did you give them your financial guarantee? I sent the accommodation form in a while ago, and the financial guarantee form also a few weeks ago, so I'm wondering if I should contact them myself regarding accommodation? Thanks!

sorry , that probably didnt come out right. i was given a choice of rooms to put in for preference and told that my preference for tyndale street has been noted , but nothing is 100% certain till i give back my financial guarantee form :smile:
Reply 3055
Original post by HoVis
Whereabouts is Tyndale Street? The only place I could find on googlemaps was Tyndale Place, way out in Wheatley!

That said, if Tyndale Street is near St Hilda's, don't get too infected by the idea of the 'Oxford mile'. :tongue: The university parts of the city really are ludicrously small and you could easily get to Banbury Road in half an hour at a good walking pace, much less if you cycle. As others have said, it's very difficult to rent in the town centre, so you could rent privately in the Jericho area, but then you'd be far away from your college and the MCR. If I were you, I'd go for college-owned accommodation and get a bike. :smile: Colleges are also much gentler landlords than private letting agents!

yes its right by st.hilda's . sounds like i shouldnt worry too much about distances in oxford !
I may apply next year, but like you said, its pretty funding dependent. Your topic sounds awesome, and you'll be really well served if you come to Oxford - eveything is in such easy reach (exst hughs...) and the amount of libraries means you'll have little to no problem getting hold of any book you need. I don't know much about Oriel, but I think its very central and is reasonably well off. Do you have any offers from American universities?
Original post by Noldorin
Cheers. I applied to the MFoCS course (mathematical institute). It seems they're really lagging behind this year... In previous years people heard by late February heh.

How about yourself? Already accepted I'm guessing.

That does sound rather late; did they have loads of applicants this year? I've accepted the MSt in English offer, but not heard anything about college though.

Thanks everyone for your comments on the accommodation situation - very helpful.

(Sorry, at my own university no such distinction between college and university exists, hence I always get a little confused as to how the Oxbridge system works.)

Original post by HLS

Yes, I also hope I get accommodation via college/university - your right it is far more safer a option.

I have yet to receive the paperwork from the university - and in fact, do not know what college I will be at - so I assume I have to wait for all of that, and until my offer condition [First] has been achieved - till I apply for any type of accommodation?

Finally, does anybody who has the AHRC for next year, know how much the maintenance is? and if it covers accommodation expenses?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3059
Original post by Student 01
I have yet to receive the paperwork from the university - and in fact, do not know what college I will be at - so I assume I have to wait for all of that, and until my offer condition [First] has been achieved - till I apply for any type of accommodation?

Finally, does anybody who has the AHRC for next year, know how much the maintenance is? and if it covers accommodation expenses?

I'm not really an authority, but I suggest you apply for university accommodation straight away (as Corinna says, it's effectively probably too late for university-owned accommodation for this year, but you can at least get onto the waiting list in case you stay in Oxford) and for college accommodation as soon as you get the relevant paperwork. I don't think you need to have the conditions of your offer before you apply for accom. -- that would make applications very late.

The bit of the AHRC studentship which gets given directly to you (as opposed to the bit that is funneled straight into paying fees) is designed to cover living expenses including housing costs, but I can't remember the amount off the top of my head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending