The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
oh god I can't wait till June/July either...that just ain't fair :frown: I also suspect my application wasn't particularly strong, so I'll probably be one of the last to be turfed somewhere too... (still wondering how the heck it got approved, I applied for English and American 1900- and sent in examples of work about Russian literature and Medieval Lit...wonder what I was thinking....)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
^^ Sorry guys didnt mean to freak everyone out!!
Reply 3162
Original post by ACC_21
It's hard to tell if you are a strong of weak candidate though... my confidance has been knocked from my lack of funding but I have to remember the majority of people DONT get funding...

Also I'm pretty sure you can be pooled to a different college to even out the male/female arts/sciences ratio, not necessarily because you aren't a strong candidate.

Yeah, this is exactly what I've heard. Most likely reason they will reject you is because of ratios of different sorts/classes of people. There is probably also some weight given to academic excellence, in that some colleges might not take you unless you're an absolute genius. Christ Church has a reputation as being the prime college of the aristocracy, for example.

Oh, and Balliol responded to me today, saying my application is now being considered by the college. (Under the March deadline, but oh well... at least they have it!) Apparently decisions will be made over the next two weeks, so I'd probably wait until May 14th before contacting them. (I just wanted to make sure they had my app heh.) At least that's some reassurance though. :-)
Reply 3163
Original post by Mackenzie123
This is fabulous info and thank you! Which degree did you read for and did you stay on? How was your experience in Kellogg? I was very torn between applying there and Exeter, so I will be happy in either!

I did the MSc in English Local History and am now doing a full time DPhil in History at the History faculty (not a reflection on the department of cont ed or Kellogg i just realised that I wanted to do a DPhil but I couldn't face doing part-time study for 6 more years!)
Kellogg is a different experience to the older Oxford colleges (I went to and am now back at one of the oldest colleges) but that does not equa a bad experience! These days the college has its own buildings and, contrary to what you may hear, these are not miles away - they are nearer than St Hughs and LMH. There is also schedule of college/guest dinners (often combined with seminars), social events for May Day/Burns Night etc, wine tasting and so on. Perhaps not as full as some MCRs but there are still a few events every week. You should also have access to the Continuing Education library (near the Ashmolean museum) as well as the Bodleian and subject libraries.
Personally, I chose Kellogg when I was part-time because they had the most experience of dealing with people who were part-time/distance learning etc and because I would meet more people who were having the same experience of Oxford as me rather than being the odd one out. However, other people on my course went to other colleges where there weren't so many part time and distance learning students and, as far as I am aware, none of them had a bad time as a result.
Original post by Kiki09
I did the MSc in English Local History and am now doing a full time DPhil in History at the History faculty (not a reflection on the department of cont ed or Kellogg i just realised that I wanted to do a DPhil but I couldn't face doing part-time study for 6 more years!

This is great info and thank you! Do you happen to recall what funding they asked you to show for a part time program? And how did you identify/choose a supervisor for your DPhil? Was it one of the Kellogg fellows or someone from another college?
Original post by Juliet_Wannabe1
Got an offer from University College! I'm so thrilled, totally didn't think i'd get my first choice. Anyone know anything about it?
GAH just have to try meet the offer now :s

I got an offer from University College few days ago, too.
It is the oldest college in Oxford, established 1249, although for a while they maintained that it was even older, from 872 by King Alfred, but apparently there is no proof of that...
Bill Clinton went there, and Shelly was there for a year, before they kicked him out for being Godless. Now there is his memorial, oh irony :smile:
You can find more info here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_College,_Oxford
Reply 3166
Accepted to pursue a MSc. Social Science of the Internet at the Oxford Internet Institute! Anybody else here? We seem to be quite rare :smile:
Reply 3167
How competitive getting in chch, magdalen, balliol???
Reply 3168
Which college has the highest intake for history??
Original post by ChrisH12
There are several colleges here in the leafy north of the city. There's Kellogg, St Anthony's, St Anne's, Wycliffe Hall, Wolfson, Lady Margaret Hall, and St Hugh's all within a short walk of the very centre of the city. You would have to try very hard to feel you were "outside Oxford"!

I think the Bancroft road area is very beautiful, and a lovely place to study, I suppose I just want to be right in the heart of it all. I don't suppose you can get much more central than Brasenose! But each to their own...
Original post by Kiki09
I did the MSc in English Local History and am now doing a full time DPhil in History at the History faculty (not a reflection on the department of cont ed or Kellogg i just realised that I wanted to do a DPhil but I couldn't face doing part-time study for 6 more years!)
Kellogg is a different experience to the older Oxford colleges (I went to and am now back at one of the oldest colleges) but that does not equa a bad experience! These days the college has its own buildings and, contrary to what you may hear, these are not miles away - they are nearer than St Hughs and LMH. There is also schedule of college/guest dinners (often combined with seminars), social events for May Day/Burns Night etc, wine tasting and so on. Perhaps not as full as some MCRs but there are still a few events every week. You should also have access to the Continuing Education library (near the Ashmolean museum) as well as the Bodleian and subject libraries.
Personally, I chose Kellogg when I was part-time because they had the most experience of dealing with people who were part-time/distance learning etc and because I would meet more people who were having the same experience of Oxford as me rather than being the odd one out. However, other people on my course went to other colleges where there weren't so many part time and distance learning students and, as far as I am aware, none of them had a bad time as a result.

I should apologise for criticising Kellogg, I too have studied at CONTED. It has a great library (right in the heart of the city near Jericho), excellent facilities including free printing and is an institution which has done more to open up Oxford education than the rest of the university combined. Can I ask if one was interested in taking an DPhil part time at Kellogg would you recommend it above the predominantly full time colleges?
Original post by HLS
As I said in a previous post I rather suspect I will be one such college-less individual! My application wasn't particularly competitive (although approved by the faculty) so I cannot envisage any colleges being particularly keen to snap me up. I expect I shall be foisted upon the one with places free at the end of the process.

Aw dont sell yourself too short; you were good enough to get into Oxford. All the best with your college :smile:.
Original post by cyberpoet
Aw dont sell yourself too short; you were good enough to get into Oxford. All the best with your college :smile:.

yeah but so was everyone else they are competing against :tongue: I'm not implying anyone is bad, but the bottom of the line is someone has to go to the less popular colleges and I know many very good candidates who did not get their first choice. Sometimes (most times?) it's mainly a game of luck.
Original post by *Corinna*
yeah but so was everyone else they are competing against :tongue: I'm not implying anyone is bad, but the bottom of the line is someone has to go to the less popular colleges and I know many very good candidates who did not get their first choice. Sometimes (most times?) it's mainly a game of luck.

I was responding to HLS' worries that he'll languish college-less until July. Anyway as someone already mentioned, there are loads of other factors involved other than being a 'good' or 'less good' academic candidate.
Reply 3174
Original post by cyberpoet
I was responding to HLS' worries that he'll languish college-less until July. Anyway as someone already mentioned, there are loads of other factors involved other than being a 'good' or 'less good' academic candidate.

And after all my self-depricating rants I was today given a college!

St Hugh's. Hard to tell much from the photographs, although I hear the gardens are lovely and you can walk on the grass!
Reply 3175
Original post by HLS
And after all my self-depricating rants I was today given a college!

St Hugh's. Hard to tell much from the photographs, although I hear the gardens are lovely and you can walk on the grass!

Congrats, the grounds do look purrdy!
Reply 3176
does anyone know whether masters students at oxford generally manage to work part time as well ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gaia91
does anyone know whether masters students at oxford generally manage to work part time as well ?

I think it's not allowed.
Reply 3178
not allowed at all ? or just in term time ? the website says international students can work upto 20 hours a week at term time ..:confused:
Original post by Gaia91
not allowed at all ? or just in term time ? the website says international students can work upto 20 hours a week at term time ..:confused:

well if it says so then it must be true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending