The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shahedul
By this you mean you're at home on the phone and the interviewer has called you?!

Yup... I'm a resident of India... so the interview will be via telephone..
Positive Rating!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 41

By this you mean you're at home on the phone and the interviewer has called you?!

Hi, I have also applied for the same course and have been called for the interview on monday!.. Please suggest me some ideas for the preparation. Will it be a technical interview or a standard one? Wat kind of questions will be asked
Reply 42
Original post by athirai
Hi, I have also applied for the same course and have been called for the interview on monday!.. Please suggest me some ideas for the preparation. Will it be a technical interview or a standard one? Wat kind of questions will be asked

No offence, but you're not seriously expecting someone who is applying for the same course as you to reveal details about his interview so that you'll be better prepared for yours, are you?:erm:
Original post by felixbenjamin
I had applied for an MSC in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Oxford. Now they wanna interview me on telephone and the interview's on friday (17th dec, 2010).. Can anyone give me an idea as to what they might ask..?? Will they ask questions related to computer science only, or will they also test my knowledge of mathematics??

Do they send you e-mail questions before or directly invite you for an interview ?

I applied to the same course and just get e-mail questions. And they say they will contact me in mid-January for outcome. I'm puzzled now.
Reply 44
Original post by LysFromParis
Do they send you e-mail questions before or directly invite you for an interview ?

I applied to the same course and just get e-mail questions. And they say they will contact me in mid-January for outcome. I'm puzzled now.

They send the e-mail questions as soon as your application has logged. Once they read your answers and your other documents (e.g. Personal Statement, CV, etc.) they will call you for an interview. But I am not sure whether every candidate is called for an interview. It's just what happened to me (and I'm an international student btw).

I got the e-mail questions about a month ago and my interview is tomorrow.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by verminox
They send the e-mail questions as soon as your application has logged. Once they read your answers and your other documents (e.g. Personal Statement, CV, etc.) they will call you for an interview. But I am not sure whether every candidate is called for an interview. It's just what happened to me (and I'm an international student btw).

I got the e-mail questions about a month ago and my interview is tomorrow.

Ok that's weird they told me I won't hear from them before mid-january and the final decision :confused:

Edit : got an interview invitation
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Has anyone been actually given an offer without an interview? Because me and a few friends have applied to MSc's in Oxford, some of them in particular have amazing grade point averages +85%, top 20's UK univ and none of us have asked for even an interview whic is worrying.... We applied for the Nov deadline.

Are you aware if people can get offers for a MSc course in Oxford without an interview?

In case ur wondering, a couple of them applied to business, one other to IT related course (not sure which) and me for politics....

Thanks guys!
Reply 47
Original post by fabiantony
Has anyone been actually given an offer without an interview? Because me and a few friends have applied to MSc's in Oxford, some of them in particular have amazing grade point averages +85%, top 20's UK univ and none of us have asked for even an interview whic is worrying.... We applied for the Nov deadline.

Are you aware if people can get offers for a MSc course in Oxford without an interview?

In case ur wondering, a couple of them applied to business, one other to IT related course (not sure which) and me for politics....

Thanks guys!

Never heard of it happening, although they must do something for people who can't make it to interviews (I know sometimes they offer Skype interviews to some stuck internationals). Have you heard ANYTHING from Oxford? like a confirmation email that they received your application? Has your UCAS form been updated?
Reply 48
Original post by Cariie

Original post by Cariie
Never heard of it happening, although they must do something for people who can't make it to interviews (I know sometimes they offer Skype interviews to some stuck internationals). Have you heard ANYTHING from Oxford? like a confirmation email that they received your application? Has your UCAS form been updated?

Well we didnt apply by UCAS, we did directly to the univ. Yea we got the confirmation email. One of us (IT Guy) got some extra email questions to ask. Another of guy (business) got asked for an extra written piece of work. But that's it...

Am more worried now, thanks for your reply though. Merry Xmas!
Reply 49
Original post by fabiantony
Well we didnt apply by UCAS, we did directly to the univ. Yea we got the confirmation email. One of us (IT Guy) got some extra email questions to ask. Another of guy (business) got asked for an extra written piece of work. But that's it...

Am more worried now, thanks for your reply though. Merry Xmas!

I know at UCL and other uni's that sometimes interviews aren't required and they just use the extra questionnaire answers, and Oxford do ask for extra written work (I had to do an extract for my course) I'd email the admissions people ASAP, most of the offices are closing for Christmas so I'd get everyone to get their queries down in an email now if you can. They are getting through international applicants more slowly than some UK students, it depends on the college but if you received confirmation emails then you really should have heard back from them again :/
Merry Christmas to you all too! Hope this gets resolved :smile:
I had my interview on the 17th of Dec... N i got accepted 3 days later... I still cant believe i'm in..!!
Reply 51
So, just to confirm, which is it:

1. They emailed you telling you when they'd call you for an interview
or
2. They called you (by phone), telling you they'd interview you by phone at a certain date

This may seem irrelevant and stupid: did they call on a hidden number? i.e. private number, number witheld, etc
Reply 52
Part of the email I got from Oxford, right after I applied, was this:

"We can confirm that your application is complete and will be assessed as part of the 19 November application deadline. The date by which departments are expected to make decisions on applications submitted in this cycle is 14 January 2011. You can therefore expect to hear the result of your application from the department, in writing, after this date."

Can someone confirm if that's standard procedure, or does it differ between the departments?

OP and felixbenjamim: did you receive an email like this?

Thank you
Original post by PrimateJ
Part of the email I got from Oxford, right after I applied, was this:

"We can confirm that your application is complete and will be assessed as part of the 19 November application deadline. The date by which departments are expected to make decisions on applications submitted in this cycle is 14 January 2011. You can therefore expect to hear the result of your application from the department, in writing, after this date."

Can someone confirm if that's standard procedure, or does it differ between the departments?

OP and felixbenjamim: did you receive an email like this?

Thank you

Every one got this one.

And for CS it was :
This mail then a mail with a questionnaire then a mail for an interview.

Some people for that degree get interview in December (Verminox + Felixbenjamin) and some get their interview in early January (me). From what I know we are all international and we all applied to MSc in Computer Science. Some people said in the other thread that some departments don't do interview.
Reply 54
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has applied to the MSc Computer Science course in Oxford for the March deadline. If yes, have you been contacted about the telephone interview?

I applied for the March deadline, and haven't been contacted for an interview yet, just wanted to know if that's just me or they haven't yet sent the interview emails.

Cheers,
Reply 55
Hi
I am an undergraduate student from Greece and i really want to apply for this MSc. What chances of getting accepted has a student with an upper-second class honours degree in physics? My grades in courses like math and computing are excellent plus my written dissertation is a very good project on quantum computation.
Has any of you got admission in MSc computer science for this year?
Can anyone please share the interview questions here?????? or atleast plzzzzz pm me???????????????????? :frown:(((((
Thanks.
Lynn.
Reply 57
Original post by woundedtiger40

Original post by woundedtiger40
Has any of you got admission in MSc computer science for this year?
Can anyone please share the interview questions here?????? or atleast plzzzzz pm me???????????????????? :frown:(((((
Thanks.
Lynn.

It's against the rules to discuss the content of interviews in forums.

Anyway have you got an invitation? If yes, when did you apply?
Reply 58
Hi Guys has any one had a telephone interview for MSc in Pharmacology at oxford? If so can you please tell me what’s the interview like? What do they ask?
Hi people!!

I couldn't find such a thread so I felt like creating one :smile:

I'm sure a lot of tsr-members will apply for 2012/13 entry; so let us suffer together :biggrin: I submitted my application last night for the MSc in Computer Science, Merton College.

Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest