University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by PollyAbroad
Hi people!!

I couldn't find such a thread so I felt like creating one :smile:

I'm sure a lot of tsr-members will apply for 2012/13 entry; so let us suffer together :biggrin: I submitted my application last night for the MSc in Computer Science, Merton College.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey, I should be applying to Merton to, for an MPhil in International Relations. Not submitted it yet, still got to hack writing samples down to size..
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 61
Good luck to you all! I'm looking into the English DPhil. Oxford seems like the right place for the kind of research I would like to do. Not sure about college - haven't been to Oxford in years but I seem to remember Magdalen being the most magical :smile:
Reply 62
Hi,

I just signed up on TSR because I intend to apply for the M.Phil in General linguistics & Comparative philology, to start in 2012. I will visit the Humanities Graduate Open Day in November, and apply directly thereafter, I think.
It would be nice to exchange tips here!
I'll be applying, not a chance of getting in but oh well. Mphil in English lit 650-1550
Reply 64
Original post by Aeschylus
I'll be applying, not a chance of getting in but oh well. Mphil in English lit 650-1550

No.. Positive thinking! Oxford's English department needs us. Yes.
Original post by cinosia
No.. Positive thinking! Oxford's English department needs us. Yes.

Oh I hope. What specifically are you doing/ do you want to do for you DPhil?
History at Balliol woo. How much do they take into account GCSE results though? I have like everything perfect for my application apart from my GCSEs...they're not awful (or I wouldn't bother) but they're lower than what most Oxford applicants have.
Reply 67
Original post by richiemayne
History at Balliol woo. How much do they take into account GCSE results though? I have like everything perfect for my application apart from my GCSEs...they're not awful (or I wouldn't bother) but they're lower than what most Oxford applicants have.

The consensus would seem to be that A-Levels and GCSEs do not matter, I don't even remember the application having a space for them. They are after all largely irrelevant by this stage!
Reply 68
Original post by Aeschylus
Oh I hope. What specifically are you doing/ do you want to do for you DPhil?

My area, broadly speaking, is early modern with a crossover into philosophy of science, without going into too much specific detail. What about you? Very excited about the idea of Oxford the more I look into it.. No idea if it's much more competitive than other UK universities for doctoral work - but then, fit is so important, and if they don't think I fit, then so be it! :smile:
Hello, everyone. :smile: I'm applying for the MSt in English (1550-1700).
Reply 70
Original post by thatfineframe
Hello, everyone. :smile: I'm applying for the MSt in English (1550-1700).

Crikey, early modern as well? *highfive* Didn't fancy the Oxford MSt myself at the time but it seems like a grand place to do research. Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your fine choice of period! :wink:
Original post by cinosia
Crikey, early modern as well? *highfive* Didn't fancy the Oxford MSt myself at the time but it seems like a grand place to do research. Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your fine choice of period! :wink:

Thank you - and very good luck to you, too! I have, er, dabbled quite a bit in terms of period, but am now very satisfied and happy with having chosen early modern. I'm actually applying all over the South and the Midlands, in an anxious, desperate, probably hopeless quest for funding. I like Oxford a lot, though. :biggrin:
Reply 72
Hi everyone! :smile: I'm applying for MPhil in International Relations.
Reply 73
Original post by Scout-
Hi everyone! :smile: I'm applying for MPhil in International Relations.

That's 2 of us so far :wink:. Bit bummed at them upping their fees to ~£10,000, so it's a scholarship or nothing now!
Thinking about applying for the DPhil astrophysics... But very nervous about this whole thing! I'm not sure I'm up to the 'Oxford standards' =/ No other scientists here?
Reply 75
Hi Scout and Danielj315

Not to be overly direct but I'm thinking of applying to the same course but not sure if i'd actually be good enough. What unis did you both go to and what degrees did you get?

Thanks
Original post by TheRandomer
Thinking about applying for the DPhil astrophysics... But very nervous about this whole thing! I'm not sure I'm up to the 'Oxford standards' =/ No other scientists here?

Dont worry it's natural to be apprehensive and daunted, I was a little too, but you'll soon realise most people think the same when applying.
Yeah, I was looking for that thread :P I will be applying for the DPhil in Classics, and I am between Lincoln, Merton, Balliol, Corpus Christi hahahaha, I need to make up my mind :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone!

How are you deciding who to choose as your referees? I'm applying for a taught Masters but I haven't really started my undergraduate dissertation yet so I don't feel I can ask my dissertation supervisor. I don't think many of my module tutors from last year know me well enough to write a reference as I only had fortnightly/twice termly group seminars with them. I can't imagine that I'll have got to know any of my new tutors well enough for them to write a reference by early November so I'm a bit stuck!
Reply 79
Applying for Dphil particle physics for October 2012! Almost ready to submit but having a bit of a problem contacting my third referee at the moment :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending