The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hobnob
My guess would be that applications will have gone up, at least for the one-year taught courses.

But you dont think the DPhil applications will be up as well?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1041
Original post by cyberpoet
But you dont think the DPhil applications will be up as well?

Hmm, I'd say probably not as much, but obviously that's just a wild guess on my part.:dontknow:
Original post by maidenfrombeirut
Hey all!

Any admitted fellows in the COMPUTER SCIENCE Masters program would like to share their profiles with me? (either here or by personal message)

I'm an international student graduating this year with a BSc in Computer Science.
I've applied 2 weeks ago and I really need to know who's getting in:tongue:

Original post by Noldorin
I submitted my application around the same time, and received the three questions (two problem-solving and one personal) around the same time. Nothing since then. What is your current status?

Hi!

I applied in late October and got the questionnaire in mid November. After that, it took approx. two months until I received the interview invitation. (It actually turned out, that my interview was supposed to be a month earlier, but there have been some internal issues - Don't worry! This doesn't mean that the department is likely to forget about your application. They will still come back to you, but in some cases it just takes a bit longer. No need to be concerned :smile: )

After my interview it took less than a week until I was informed about the outcome of my application! :smile:

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 1043
Original post by econhist
Hi all,

I've received an offer to do a DPhil in History at Oxford - more specifically in the economic and social history division - and have some questions about that.

Firstly, the offer is conditional (I'm currently an MA student); is this normal, and how stringently are they going to hold me to the conditions?

What is the relationship between the department and the ESH division? Is ESH largely self-contained, with different requirements and methodology, or is it a more fluid kind of thing? For example, research seminars - are they department wide, or ESH only? [The reasons I ask is that my background is in economics and political science, very little straight history. I did a lot of economic history at the LSE, but there it was different: they had a whole economic history department, with it's own requirements etc. So I guess I'm wondering what it's like to be in a history faculty…]

Despite being in the History department, my supervisor would be an economist. I've heard that these kinds of combinations can be problematic, because economists will expect one kind of methodology and argument, while historians expect something completely different. Can anyone comment on this?

Finally, any remarks in general about being a research student in the history department at Oxford?

I also have some rather specific questions: Does anyone know when I can expect to hear about funding? Do most DPhil students get funding? Does it matter what college I end up in? Will I be expected to move to Oxford for the first year?

I realize this is a lot, please answer whatever you can or are comfortable with. Also, please feel free to forward to any other DPhil students you know…

Thanks in advance...

Right, to answer your questions in turn.

The Economic History department does have its own seminars arranged and conducted by its own academic staff. However since you are a prospective PhD student I will presume you have already received substantial research training, so how involved you will need to be in these seminars I don't know. The 'Advanced Papers' and economics training for historians is aimed at students on the MSc/MPhil courses, although you are as a straight PhD student permitted to access them.

Who is your supervisor? Economic History is often mathematics-led in its approach and so an economist will be well placed to supervise. I don't think this will be a problem and I am sure that the Faculty were diligent in assigning you a supervisor.

Since you have already been accepted onto a course of study, I will presume that you are an international student and thus applied for the November deadline. Given this, your eligibility will be for international scholarships and some joint faculty/college scholarships. These are not, ordinarily, announced until after the January cohort of applicants has been decided upon. I expect you are unlikely to hear about funding until April at the earliest.

As for the probability of securing funding - there is very little available for Economic History, and even less for an international student. The Faculty to my understanding have indicated that, given the choice, they would rather utilise the funds they control to support PhD students than Masters students, as the prospects for the latter self-funding are obviously much higher. However this ought not be taken as a indication that you are in with a realistic chance of securing funding, which is highly competitive and rather scarce.
Original post by thatfineframe
I'm not fadingwinters (obviously!), but can answer the first bit of this: yes, there are people working on contemporary writers within the Oxford English Faculty. Try poking about on e.g. Academia.edu, that might help you to see some profiles or CVs of current students, and give you a sense of their research agendas. I don't really know how one selects (I presume you mean for a dissertation, as there's less choice, usually, in the taught modules), but I imagine you just have to agree it with your supervisor, and could in theory make a case for any author that appealed. I don't know whether dissertation topics have to be faculty-approved, but if so I would guess it's a rubber-stamping in most cases.

In short, although contemporary stuff isn't among the Faculty's largest subfields, it's definitely possible to do it! :smile:

Hey thanks :smile:!!

Yes I see your point about making a strong case for research. I was just curious about taught courses and how they select contemporary texts and writers. I'm an 18th century student (where the so-called canon, for Romantics especially, has undergone such a sea-change); it must be difficult to 'pick' writings that are so recent. I mean, is Rushdie for example, widely considered worthy of study, or do different regions and academic schools tend to favour different contemporary writers?

I suppose it ultimately depends on the profs' interest?
anyone get into St Anthony?
Reply 1046
Original post by eggshell
I applied around the same time as you, and I got exactly the same thing - four questions:

Motivations and choosing 3 or 4 modules I'd be interested in taking

Additional information about my academic background

A combinatorial problem

Question about algorithmic analysis ("Design an efficient algorithm that solves <problem>. What are its characteristics (time complexity) and is it the best possible solution?")

The last two questions were like this. I actually enjoyed solving them :redface:

It sounds like we may have gotten exactly the same questions in that case! I too found them vaguely enjoyable heh. And only moderately challenging fortunately. Bordering on straightforward. Did you feel similarly?

Still nervously waiting here. I'm presuming you've heard nothing back yet either. Which is cool me with -- not an immediate rejection at least!
Reply 1047
Original post by PollyAbroad
Hi!

I applied in late October and got the questionnaire in mid November. After that, it took approx. two months until I received the interview invitation. (It actually turned out, that my interview was supposed to be a month earlier, but there have been some internal issues - Don't worry! This doesn't mean that the department is likely to forget about your application. They will still come back to you, but in some cases it just takes a bit longer. No need to be concerned :smile: )

After my interview it took less than a week until I was informed about the outcome of my application! :smile:

Good luck with your applications!

Thanks for the reassuring information and wishes!

I hope you heard back positively in the end. The whole process is a little gruelling.

Given that I only submitted my app around 10th Jan, it's good to know that an interview invitation would not be overdue if I indeed get one.
Reply 1048
Original post by Knisper
Yes, I am! (Mphil)
I want to do the general linguistics part, especially focusing on psycholinguistics/neurolinguistics. I only applied to Oxford, because I really want to go there. The only problem now is money, but I'm working on that...
What is your main interest in linguistics? And where are you from? :smile:

I'm Dutch :smile: but I finished my bachelor's in the UK last summer and now I'm on a sort of gap year. I want to focus on syntax, a bit of phonology perhaps and language documentation in the end. How about you?
Reply 1049
Original post by tigoung
I'm Dutch :smile: but I finished my bachelor's in the UK last summer and now I'm on a sort of gap year. I want to focus on syntax, a bit of phonology perhaps and language documentation in the end. How about you?

I'm Dutch too! Did my bachelor's in Linguistics and German language & culture at the University of Amsterdam (actually, still, until the summer).
How will you decide between Oxford and Cambridge? (I thought Oxford had more opportunities to study General linguistics, viewing both websites)
Reply 1050
Original post by Knisper
I'm Dutch too! Did my bachelor's in Linguistics and German language & culture at the University of Amsterdam (actually, still, until the summer).
How will you decide between Oxford and Cambridge? (I thought Oxford had more opportunities to study General linguistics, viewing both websites)

Me too o_o
Reply 1051
Me too :biggrin:, might as well start talking Dutch on here :P
Original post by Humberto
Me too :biggrin:, might as well start talking Dutch on here :P

Haha that'd be fun for the rest of us. How do you say 'This Waiting Game Sucks' in Dutch :biggrin: ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1053
Noo, stop taking all our university places, Dutch folk! ;-) I'm kidding -- good luck to you all, it's not a fun process for anyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1054
Original post by cyberpoet
Haha that'd be fun for the rest of us. How do you say 'This Waiting Game Sucks' in Dutch :biggrin: ?

There is no translation for the "game" element, you just wouldn't say that in Dutch.
I would say something like: "het wachten is (erg) vervelend" (the waiting is (very) nerving) or, stronger, "ik word gek van het wachten" (I am becoming mad because of the waiting, literally).
Don't know if the other Dutch people agree with this?

(sorry for taking all your places btw :wink: but you are free to apply to Dutch universities too!)
Reply 1055
Original post by Knisper
There is no translation for the "game" element, you just wouldn't say that in Dutch.
I would say something like: "het wachten is (erg) vervelend" (the waiting is (very) nerving) or, stronger, "ik word gek van het wachten" (I am becoming mad because of the waiting, literally).
Don't know if the other Dutch people agree with this?

(sorry for taking all your places btw :wink: but you are free to apply to Dutch universities too!)

I may put it a little stronger.

Spoiler

The British seem to be very afraid to go abroad. Or as they say 'to Europe'.
Reply 1056
Original post by Zenobia

Spoiler

The British seem to be very afraid to go abroad. Or as they say 'to Europe'.

It's true... for a few reasons. Most of us can't speak any foreign language fluently (or even conversationally). We're also lucky enough to have a handful of the best-ranked and most reputable universities in the world (e.g. Oxford, Cambride, Imperial, UCL, LSE). Only the US really beats us there, and that's exactly where most Brits go for postgrad if they study abroad.

So yeah, we'll reap the rewards of the Anglo-Saxon bias while it lasts. :-)
Original post by Zenobia

Spoiler

Erm... I was curious so I just put this through Google translate... :eek:
Reply 1058
Original post by Noldorin
It's true... for a few reasons. Most of us can't speak any foreign language fluently (or even conversationally). We're also lucky enough to have a handful of the best-ranked and most reputable universities in the world (e.g. Oxford, Cambride, Imperial, UCL, LSE). Only the US really beats us there, and that's exactly where most Brits go for postgrad if they study abroad.

So yeah, we'll reap the rewards of the Anglo-Saxon bias while it lasts. :-)

But you you don't need to know a foreign language to study abroad lol; although it would be polite to make an attempt at it while you're there! And foreign universities can be a lot cheaper, while they are equally ranked in the top 10 of Europe amongst British Universities.

That said, I came to Britain A. Because I study something obscure and did not have a lot of choice in Holland and B. Because I wanted to experience a different culture. Two reasons that could be applicable to British students too.
Did anyone else get an email about the new Mica and Ahmet Ertegun Scholarships? Anybody going for it? It sounds amazing, but I have absolutely no idea what to write for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending