The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what sort of mark is a "high first"? Looking at the Clarendon scholarship page one of the criteria is "a high first class honours degree" or GPA of 3.7/4.

For an essay-based degree, what sort of mark would that mean? I'm guessing 75+ as 80+ seems to be pretty unheard of in essay subjects, but has anyone got any idea?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by angelmxxx
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what sort of mark is a "high first"? Looking at the Clarendon scholarship page one of the criteria is "a high first class honours degree" or GPA of 3.7/4.

For an essay-based degree, what sort of mark would that mean? I'm guessing 75+ as 80+ seems to be pretty unheard of in essay subjects, but has anyone got any idea?

Mmm, I'd like to know this too. I wonder if it's based primarily on average numerical mark or on rank? :confused: Personally I think rank would be a bit fairer, because marking's not wholly consistent across universities, despite their best efforts.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has an answer as to this "high first" thing. :smile:
Reply 102
On that note: what is a high 2:1? 67%?
Reply 103
Hello! I would like to know where I can find the application form to apply at Oxford?
Also, I averaged 69% and 66% respectively in first and second years f(history). Do I even stand a chance ?
Original post by thatfineframe
Mmm, I'd like to know this too. I wonder if it's based primarily on average numerical mark or on rank? :confused: Personally I think rank would be a bit fairer, because marking's not wholly consistent across universities, despite their best efforts.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has an answer as to this "high first" thing. :smile:

Original post by angelmxxx

A first according to wikipedia rougly corresponds to 3.8 on the GPA. A 2:1 corresponds to 3.2-3.7, depending on how high it is.
Reply 105
In terms of percentage, wouldn't a first class be 70% and above?

Original post by Zenobia
On that note: what is a high 2:1? 67%?

Is 2:1 between 60%-70%?
Reply 106
Original post by Scout-
In terms of percentage, wouldn't a first class be 70% and above?

Is 2:1 between 60%-70%?

Yes. But a high 2:1? ('high upper second class' is the requirement for my course).
Reply 107
Original post by itzme
Hello! I would like to know where I can find the application form to apply at Oxford?
Also, I averaged 69% and 66% respectively in first and second years f(history). Do I even stand a chance ?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/before_you_apply.html
(the application form is below)
Reply 108
Original post by Zenobia
Yes. But a high 2:1? ('high upper second class' is the requirement for my course).

Yes, I suppose a high 2:1 should be anything above 66-67%.
But still no thoughts on the exact meaning of a "high first"? I think, realistically, there's no conclusive answer; they can interpret things as they want to. My undergraduate tutors tended to talk more about "high in the firsts" than a "high first" as such. (We didn't use a GPA system or anything like that - I find all of that a bit baffling, honestly. It may be fairer, I don't know, but at least the UK system is simple.)
Reply 110
Hi - another one about written work!
appying for history in 2012 - Anyone know how the level for written work is?

I'm currently translating one of my essays to english and re- writing it in the process. So the written work will be more or less, completely different from the original essay.
Reply 111
*bangs head against wall*

This application is a little silly. They ask for two 2000 word essays... wtf? I haven't written an essay that short for at least three years!! I'm applying for a research degree ... they want to assess my aptitude for that with a 2000 word essay?

I note from the website that you are allowed to send one item of 4000 words instead, and that this may be an extract from a longer work; however, the application form asks for two of 2000. So I wonder: do we have to split a 4000-word sample into two 2000-word chunks? Also, I wonder, should I just submit the work that got the highest mark ... considering that all my work is relevant to my field of study ...

anyone else similarly bemused about the paucity of written work required?!?!
Original post by cinosia
*bangs head against wall*

This application is a little silly. They ask for two 2000 word essays... wtf? I haven't written an essay that short for at least three years!! I'm applying for a research degree ... they want to assess my aptitude for that with a 2000 word essay?

I note from the website that you are allowed to send one item of 4000 words instead, and that this may be an extract from a longer work; however, the application form asks for two of 2000. So I wonder: do we have to split a 4000-word sample into two 2000-word chunks? Also, I wonder, should I just submit the work that got the highest mark ... considering that all my work is relevant to my field of study ...

anyone else similarly bemused about the paucity of written work required?!?!

I actually know the answer to this one - upload the 4000-word piece as piece #1, and then for piece #2, make a document that says "I have uploaded a single 4000-word essay as my writing sample" (or similar) and upload that. There is a note about this buried deep in the instructions somewhere, if you'd like to find the official version - this is what I remember. :smile:
Reply 113
I'm considering applying for DPhil in International Development. I have BSc 2:1 and I'm currently doing an MSc. Average at undergrad was only 64% and I have a fail in one of my first year modules (Economics) that I didn't repeat (because I could progress regardless and 1st year did not count toward degree class)

Would my application stand a chance?
Reply 114
I actually know the answer to this one - upload the 4000-word piece as piece #1, and then for piece #2, make a document that says "I have uploaded a single 4000-word essay as my writing sample" (or similar) and upload that. There is a note about this buried deep in the instructions somewhere, if you'd like to find the official version - this is what I remember. :smile:

Aha! This is extremely helpful, thank you! Now, time to cut something down to 4000 words. :eek:

edit to add: in case anyone else was curious, the official version of thatfineframe's advice is here, under the heading Written Work:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/application_guide.html

edit once more to confirm: as it says on the link, this specifically applies to English and History applicants. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115

This is wonderful! Thank you so much. I was in a similar fix about the whole 2000-word each problem. Now, I can work in peace.

Does anyone have any idea about the topics of the written work? I mean, I am a history major but I'm applying for IR. So, can I post anything from my course work or do I need to write on an IR/Political Science related issue?
Reply 116
Original post by Scout-
This is wonderful! Thank you so much. I was in a similar fix about the whole 2000-word each problem. Now, I can work in peace.

Does anyone have any idea about the topics of the written work? I mean, I am a history major but I'm applying for IR. So, can I post anything from my course work or do I need to write on an IR/Political Science related issue?

Wait a minute it only says.
The English and History departments allow applicants to submit one longer piece of 4,000 words rather than two 2,000-word pieces
Reply 117
Original post by danielj315

So, I believe IR applicants would be required to submit 2 works of 2000 words each. Darn! And here I was happily trying to pick one wonderful essay.
Thanks for pointing it out! I just checked it myself too.

Any idea about the topics? Submit a history essay or write something new for IR?
Reply 118
Original post by Scout-
So, I believe IR applicants would be required to submit 2 works of 2000 words each. Darn! And here I was happily trying to pick one wonderful essay.
Thanks for pointing it out! I just checked it myself too.

Any idea about the topics? Submit a history essay or write something new for IR?

If your undergraduate degree was in History I would submit your best essay from that. Don't worry too much there is quite a lot of overlap and it's your academic skills they're looking for.

I'm going to send them a quick email to confirm we need to submit 2 x 2,000 word essays...:frown:
Reply 119

quite right - edited my other post to mention this in case of confusion! Good luck all, off I go to make my writing sample shorter and sweeter. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending