The Student Room Group

Having Modules Remarked- Worth it?

In Philosophy I got:

Unit 6581 REL.STUDS.1 88/150 D(d) - coursework
Unit 6582 REL.STUDS.2 130/150 A(a) - exam

I'm redoing my coursework now, to hopefully bring it up to an A or a B. I was really shocked to get a D in my coursework since I was expecting it to be the other way around (with a D in the exam, and an A in the cw since I couldn't remember half the content I'd revised when I sat the exam) yet I got a good result, but a terrible one in my coursework. Average of A+D = C. But now I see the coursework is only 2 marks of a C (90), so if I had it remarked I would get an average subject grade of a B. Now my question is, is it worth having it remarked despite the fact that I'm redoing it? Or is it not necessary and/or not possible since I'm redoing it?

Another thing I wanted to ask was what are the chances that the UMS mark goes down after having it remarked? If so, would the first UMS be added to your final A2 grade, or the new one?

Same goes for Business Studies where I got an A, B and an E. Resitting the one I got E in, and the B is just a few marks off an A. So would you advise me to have it remarked?

Thank you for your time.
Reply 1
When a remark goes down, that will be your grade, because the higher one was wrong. TBH, if your redoing the c/w anyways its probably not worth having it remarked. Its only really worth ever getting something remarked if you are 100% sure the mark is wrong. Remarks are expensive, andif you aren't confident you did better than evidenced it's proabbly not worth it. Esp at AS, where you can retake. Look in to declining grades as well.
Reply 2
Sorry, I forgot. I've already declined the grades (although it hasn't been official yet), but I thought that perhaps if I have it remarked and I do get better grades then I won't need to decline them, since it's better to show your grades on ucas than to hide them through pending. Or am I wrong in saying this? Sorry I'm just very confused right now. And the coursework was very shocking since I spent a lot of time on it, went over it a dozen times with my teacher, did so many redrafts and ended up with a D. In GCSE I got A*s for both of my courseworks. lol Quite a step down. And I'm worried that I'll get bad predicted grades as a result. But I'm confident that I can improve on it.
Reply 3
^

You sure? I thought they can't mark you down - in that it was their fault for giving you a higher grade to begin with and they can't strip you of it? I thought if the remark gets lower - then the first grade will stay on hold? Only if it increases can it replace?
Reply 4
I'm guessing your taking Philosophy at A2 considering your want to remark or redo the coursework. Not sure how Philosophy goes, but if you think and work on it I'm sure you can do better. Since when thinking or redoing c/w over A2 is alot of stuff depending how many other stuff you doing.
ma2k5
^

You sure? I thought they can't mark you down - in that it was their fault for giving you a higher grade to begin with and they can't strip you of it? I thought if the remark gets lower - then the first grade will stay on hold? Only if it increases can it replace?

No, if it goes down after a remark then you have to stick with the lower mark. It's not like module scores where the highest mark is taken for the overall A-Level score no matter how many times you repeat.

It's better repeating at AS level than getting a remark. Repeating is cheaper and you may gain more marks than what a re-mark might bring.
Reply 6
Yes I'm carrying it on A2, and I know I'm capable of getting a much better grade. It's also a bit odd considering everyone else got an A in their cw. But I'm trying to get it done with as soon as I can so it won't get in the way.

ma2k5- I'm not sure, but that sounds good though. XD

edit: either way, re-marking or re-doing, you'll still have to put down the grade as pending am I right?

Latest