The Student Room Group

Where should I be looking?

I'm hopefully going to be applying for Politics for 2008 entry, but I'm a bit confused about what sort of unis I should be applying to.

I got 2 B's, 8 C's and 2 D's at GCSE. I am currently doing my A levels in one year, so I don't have any AS grades to speak of. Thing is, I am aiming for at least AABb for my A levels (possibly even AAAb).

Ideally I'd like to apply for top 20 unis such as SOAS and Warwick. Most of them ask for AAB which I should be able achieve. I am just worried that unis will be put off by the lack of evidence of my ability.

I should get a pretty good reference & predicted grades and I'm going to work really hard on my personal statement.

I just wonder if I am aiming too high (mainly because of my GCSEs).

Where should I be looking/applying to? Any opinions would be wonderful!
Did you have extenuating circumstances to explain your GCSEs?
Reply 2
I think you would need to explain your circumstances - ie why you are doing your A2s in one year - (or get your referee to do so) as your GCSEs on their own could be a problem. I would suggest that you include in your five choices some less competitive universities, perhaps in the ABB-BBB range, depending on how realistic your referee thinks your hopes are. Can't make specific suggestions as I don't know what kind of uni or course you fancy and politics isn't my area - but Essex springs to mind as a possibility.
Reply 3
generalebriety
Did you have extenuating circumstances to explain your GCSEs?

I am not sure if it would count as extenuating circumstances but my family moved nearly 60 miles away from my school at the start of year ten, and I then commuted with my step-dad. so, a LOT of my time before & after school was spent travelling. and I do have social anxiety, although my attendance wasn't bad during my GCSEs, I would say it definitely affected me in classroom situations for the GCSE years as we were all moved into new groups, where I had been with my form group for the whole time before that.

I didn't go to the best school either tbh (58% A*-C students), I know several people in my year who got hardly any GCSEs i.e. two Es and nothing else because they were chucked out of class.

kw2005 as for taking my a levels in one year, it's mainly because of my anxiety. I've started and left college three times before this year. so my college suggested I do two intensives & an AS and I've been self-teaching a further A level this year so it turns out I'll be taking all exams next year.

I am definitely going to apply to Goldsmiths, with is BBC I think, as my "back-up" uni. however, I'd probably rather just not go to uni at all than to get my degree from a lower rated uni. no offence to anyone at Goldsmiths, it's just important to me to go to a "good" uni (for many reasons).
well you can apply and if you're rejected on the grounds of no evidence of academic capability then you can always try for a place in clearing or apply again next year once you actually have your grades. i'd say aim high. if it doesn't work out this year then it doesn't work out. also, something to bear in mind could be emailing the admissions tutor to explain your circumstances (just that you have lower GCSE's and no AS's but good predicted grades) and ask if they would be likely to consider your application before you apply.
vixky!
I am not sure if it would count as extenuating circumstances but my family moved nearly 60 miles away from my school at the start of year ten, and I then commuted with my step-dad. so, a LOT of my time before & after school was spent travelling. and I do have social anxiety, although my attendance wasn't bad during my GCSEs, I would say it definitely affected me in classroom situations for the GCSE years as we were all moved into new groups, where I had been with my form group for the whole time before that.

I didn't go to the best school either tbh (58% A*-C students), I know several people in my year who got hardly any GCSEs i.e. two Es and nothing else because they were chucked out of class.

kw2005 as for taking my a levels in one year, it's mainly because of my anxiety. I've started and left college three times before this year. so my college suggested I do two intensives & an AS and I've been self-teaching a further A level this year so it turns out I'll be taking all exams next year.

I am definitely going to apply to Goldsmiths, with is BBC I think, as my "back-up" uni. however, I'd probably rather just not go to uni at all than to get my degree from a lower rated uni. no offence to anyone at Goldsmiths, it's just important to me to go to a "good" uni (for many reasons).

If you wouldn't be happy at a particular uni, you don't have to go there. And if you have extenuating circumstances (like the ones you described), get your teacher to write about it in their reference, and how your predicted grades had been much higher and they expect you to get much higher this time round etc. and it should be alright. :smile:
Reply 6
thanks everyone. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending