The Student Room Group

Re-Applying because of unattractive offers - how to justify this in PS?

Hey,
I'm re-applying because I wasn't very happy with the offers I had received and also because I feel as if I'm in a better situation to apply this year. I'm not quite sure how to justify my re-application on my personal statement. I don't think it would be a good idea if I'd stated that I was unhappy with the offers I received because it may look like the best unis rejected me (which they did :smile: ) and that any uni that would accept me now, would accept a former reject. Is there some reason I could "invent" as to why I'm re-applying because the acutal courses don't differ too much from my last year choices.

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
You don't need to give them a reason. Many people take gap years just because they feel like a break from studying. As long as you actually do something useful in your gap year and can tell unis you didn't just sit around watching Jeremy Kyle for a year, they're not going to care *why*.

Out of interest, what offers did you receive that you were unhappy with?
Reply 2
That's what I thought. But I'm not justifying my gap year but my re-applying. They could ask why I didn't apply for deferred entry, couldn't they.

I declined offers for Manchester BA Economics and Liverpool BA Economics.

Thanks for oyur help
Reply 3
Tbh they don't really have the right to ask you...they won't remember your name from the first time round anyway so why they would ask I don't know.
Reply 4
They wont ask, plenty of people reapply because they didnt get into their preferred uni/missed their offer etc.
Reply 5
There's no need to justify yourself. Just say you wanted to take a gap year and say why.
Angelil
Tbh they don't really have the right to ask you...they won't remember your name from the first time round anyway so why they would ask I don't know.

They have the right to ask whatever they like within the law. If they wish to satisfy themselves of the candidate's motivation and ability to last the course and not change their mind part-way through it would seem reasonable to ask related questions.

It is perfectly proper to try to ensure that students are interested, committed and up to the course.

You'd be surprised what they remember from year to year and anyway an application after a year's gap like this will be quite obvious.

I'm curious about why the OP didn't like the offers. Do you think they'll be any nicer this year? If you don't have better grades than last year you are not likely to be accepted by places that previously gave rejections, and grades attained over three years will always be examined closely. You need to be aware of this if you are not already.
Reply 7
Good bloke
I'm curious about why the OP didn't like the offers. Do you think they'll be any nicer this year? If you don't have better grades than last year you are not likely to be accepted by places that previously gave rejections, and grades attained over three years will always be examined closely.

This isn't entirely true. Universities have limited places for their courses and as a result the places given out will depend not only on the candidate but also on the overall calibre of the applicants in that admissions cycle. Therefore, it could be that last year the calibre was very high and as a result the OP would have seemed like an unsuitable candidate. However, this year this could not be the case.
Reply 8
I doubt it will affect your application too much. Interesting that you turned down Manchester. It's a good University - was there a particular reason or just that you're aiming even higher?
Reply 9
You're a bit of a fool, to be honest.
Reply 10
no, I'm not. I've decided to take up another A-Level during U6, which was not on my UCAS application. Secondly, I did not put down any qualifications that specify my proficiency in the English language. Thirdly, I could study at a university of a similar quality here in Germany without paying 3000 pounds a year (at least) plus travel expenses. Additionally, my grades did improve in the U6 and now it is stated on my reference that I've achieved over 90% in all subjects, relatively important information considering the grade inflation in the UK.
And finally, and more personally, I dislike the idea of living in Manchester. At the moment I just cannot see me living there. So please be careful when making judgements about my decisions.

Everyone else, thanks for your help!
You don't need to justify reapplying and the only way you could be asked is if you have an interview, which is unikely for economics unless you apply to Oxbridge. Just write about what you're doing in your gap year and leave it at that. Unis will know you've applied through UCAS before because you have to say so on your form, but they won't know what unis or course you applied for unless they specifically remember you, which is highly unlikely given the amount of applications they receive every year. It would be foolish to go to a uni you weren't happy with. If you've got better grades this time around and you have a better idea of where you want to apply, there's no reason you shouldn't reapply. Lots of people reapply for lots of reasons, so it won't be a problem at all.
Reply 12
gioms - so why did you apply to Manchester in the first place if you can't even see yourself living there? And if, as you've pointed out, the UK suffers with such grade inflation and high fees and you could attend a similar quality institution in Germany, then why aren't you?

Latest

Trending

Trending