The Student Room Group

potentially screwed over by AS grades - too many options - help!

I'll try and make this relatively simple, as I'm finding it so confusing.

My AS grades were as follows:
English Literature: A
Law: B
Psychology: C
Business Studies & Economics: C

I am going to be re-sitting one English Lit module (I got full marks on 2 and scraped a C in the 3rd), one Law module and two Psychology modules. My teachers say that they will predict my three As at A-Level. I think I want to decline my Business&Economics grade and apply with my AS results as 'Pending' (they are already cashed in), but this is where my problem lies.

I want to apply to top universities to study Law. By top I mean not only highly regarded for the subject, but also quite prestigious in the country (according to The Times' league tables) but I'm having problems with the entry requirements for each of these. For example:

Oxford is the number 1 university in the UK, and number 5 for Law. The entry requirements are 3 As at A-Level. If I was to apply there, I think I would apply with 3 ASs as 'Pending', decline my Bus&Ec grade, and hope that my personal statement and referral (and possibly LNAT score, but I am unlikely to have sat this by October) get me as far as interview stage.

University College London is number 6 in the UK, and number 2 for Law. The entry requirements are 3 As at A-Level, a pass in one AS, and a good LNAT score. If I were to apply here, I might keep my C in Bus&Ec - but then, the pending grades for the other three ASs might look pretty suspect. Hopefully I will achieve a good LNAT score, which would probably pull me through if the latter was the case.

My problem is, lots of universities want a fourth AS at a B or above (I have completely ruled out Cambridge as they request AS grades, whether cashed in or not, and I'm pretty sure they would take one look at 'Pending' and disregard my application) - so I don't know whether to keep my stupid C in Bus&Ec or not. I'm already re-sitting 5 modules, and I haven't got the time, money or patience to re-sit a sixth.

However, I'm half-French, and there is a possibility that I could do a French AS this year in my own time. I achieved a very high A* at GCSE, and firmly believe that I could get a B or perhaps an A at AS without having to let my other subjects (and re-sit studies) suffer. My sixth form has advised me against this, as have my parents, but I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to wipe out the Bus&Ec grade altogether and try for an AS in French instead.. Though there again, I'm not sure if I would have achieved the grade in time to apply with it?

Sorry for the long post, but there are so many options and so little time that I'm swamped. I'd really appreciate hearing someone else's take/advice on this.
Just a quick question for more info on your situation. What were your GCSE grades?
Reply 2
*Tears and Butterflies*
Just a quick question for more info on your situation. What were your GCSE grades?

Unfortunately, they weren't amazing, but not too shabby either.

English Lit: A*, French: A*, English: A, IT: A, Drama: A, Double Award Science: B, Mathematics: B, Statistics: B, PE: B, Art & Design: C
Well I'm in a similar position to you in not having the best AS results but aiming to apply to top Uni's with AAA predictions. I think you should decline them all. I don't think you should do French just resit a module or two of Buisness and Economics because you have already done that before and you are going to have to work really hard in order to get your grades up to AAA.

Law however is super competetive. With GCSE results of 2A*s 3A's, 5B's and 1C you might have trouble with places like LSE or Durham. This would be becasue without any AS grades to go by, they will focus on your GCSE's and your predicted grades.

It is just a case of beating the opposition really in other ways as many will have either similar GCSE results to you and AAAA/AABB at AS or GCSE results of 9A*s or something ridiculous.

I am not trying to dishearten you. Although unfortunately it may sound like it. I think you should go for it. I am! (albeit a less competetive course with slightly higher GCSE's) However you should consider looking at one or two less highly ranked/competetive uni's just incase.

Some advice. Have you got any good work experience under your belt. Without it you would be seriously disadvantaged. if you get a good LNAT you should be fine, thats what they use it for, to see who has got aptitude for such a subjcet. Someone with awsome GCSE's and AS levels might do shockingly badly whilst you do brilliantly.

Also a good PS Is vital so I'm always told, so work at it. Try and get an excellent reference to stand you in good stead too.

Exactly what Uni's are you looking at?
Also remember, league tables aren't everything :smile:
Reply 5
*Tears and Butterflies*
Well I'm in a similar position to you in not having the best AS results but aiming to apply to top Uni's with AAA predictions. I think you should decline them all. I don't think you should do French just resit a module or two of Buisness and Economics because you have already done that before and you are going to have to work really hard in order to get your grades up to AAA.

Law however is super competetive. With GCSE results of 2A*s 3A's, 5B's and 1C you might have trouble with places like LSE or Durham. This would be becasue without any AS grades to go by, they will focus on your GCSE's and your predicted grades.

It is just a case of beating the opposition really in other ways as many will have either similar GCSE results to you and AAAA/AABB at AS or GCSE results of 9A*s or something ridiculous.

I am not trying to dishearten you. Although unfortunately it may sound like it. I think you should go for it. I am! (albeit a less competetive course with slightly higher GCSE's) However you should consider looking at one or two less highly ranked/competetive uni's just incase.

Some advice. Have you got any good work experience under your belt. Without it you would be seriously disadvantaged. if you get a good LNAT you should be fine, thats what they use it for, to see who has got aptitude for such a subjcet. Someone with awsome GCSE's and AS levels might do shockingly badly whilst you do brilliantly.

Also a good PS Is vital so I'm always told, so work at it. Try and get an excellent reference to stand you in good stead too.

Exactly what Uni's are you looking at?

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I haven't got any legal work experience - I have been trying to find some since May would you believe, but all my local solicitors were booked up or wouldn't accept anyone at all. I'm looking into work experience at my local CAB, but that's also looking hazy. I have however had a job at Molton Brown for a few months now, which will hopefully look good (I'm told that it's not a particularly easy place to get a job, and is renowned as being a fairly prestigious company in its area). I do lots of wider reading etc., and will soon be doing some charity work, as well as being involved in things within school (sixth form committee and so on). I won't bore you with everything that I do, but I'm really hoping that the work experience isn't going to bite me on the backside (I did read on one university's website - I'm not sure which now, but it was a good 'un - that work experience is not necessary per se, but may be somewhat useful). Oh and my reference should hopefully be glowing, as well as having 3 As predicted.

I'd like to apply to really good universities - preferably some/all of these: Oxford, UCL, LSE, King's College London, Leeds, but I'm really not sure if I'm aiming too high with most (with the possible exception of Leeds). Not to mention that the diversity of entry requirements regarding the fourth AS (Bus&Ec) is making it really difficult.
Reply 6
I think Durham might be a good place to aim for if you think you can do well in the LNAT, apparently the main things they look at are the LNAT score and predicted grades, so with AAA at A Level and 23+ in the LNAT, they might not even look at your GCSE or AS grades (they told me they only use them as a tiebreaker). I'm not sure about the other universities but I think UCL also relies quite strongly on the LNAT, so that might be another good one to apply for if you can do well in it.
And as long as you can do well in the LNAT, I'd give Oxford a go if I were you. I've heard of people with worse grades than you getting in there so its worth a try. They have the advantage of an interview as well, so its not so dependant on grades to get a place there.
And I wouldn't worry too much about work experience if I were you. My careers teacher told me it was vital, but I really don't think it is. University admissions tutors understand that its VERY difficult to get work experience at such a young age and with no experience in law.
You really should be applying to at least some universities that are easier to get into given that you have those GCSE and AS results and little relevant experience. If you apply only to the top places you stand a very high chance of being disappointed and getting no offers. Ambition is all very well, but realism is also important.

Do you think your referee will predict the sort of grades that these places require. Are you confident you can get them?
Reply 8
pandayum, sorry to be so negative but I have to agree with Good bloke and suggest that you aim a little lower with your university choices.
Maybe keep one or two of your preferred ones (Oxford, UCL, LSE, King's College London), but make sure you have others which you have a higher chance of getting offers from to prevent you getting no offers at all.
Reply 9
alex_hk90
pandayum, sorry to be so negative but I have to agree with Good bloke and suggest that you aim a little lower with your university choices.
Maybe keep one or two of your preferred ones (Oxford, UCL, LSE, King's College London), but make sure you have others which you have a higher chance of getting offers from to prevent you getting no offers at all.

Without trying to sound really bullish or overconfident, I think I can do well enough to get into some of the better universities. I was predicted all As for AS, and am predicted the same for A2 - it's my own fault that I did badly, purely because I didn't revise enough. I can understand that this has a negative effect on my university application, but I do honestly believe that I can achieve those grades.
Reply 10
Good bloke
You really should be applying to at least some universities that are easier to get into given that you have those GCSE and AS results and little relevant experience. If you apply only to the top places you stand a very high chance of being disappointed and getting no offers. Ambition is all very well, but realism is also important.

Do you think your referee will predict the sort of grades that these places require. Are you confident you can get them?

I have been told by my teachers that they will predict me all As for A2, and that I should be given a glowing referral. I'm confident that I can achieve those grades, and that I can put together a very good personal statement. Admittedly I haven't got the work experience, but I will be participating as a barrister in a mock trial competition organised by the Bar Council in November, which should count for something (I'm told that not many sixth forms/colleges take up the chance to enter this). Like I said above, it's through my own stupidity that I didn't do as well as expected - but I fully intend to make up for that. I will be applying with all my grades as pending, as it's turned out that my whole class had their Business & Economics coursework marked down by at least two grades in moderation, so it is all being re-marked. (My coursework went from a high A to a C). This might hopefully mean that my coursework gets marked up to a B, which would probably mean that I got a B overall in that subject. Either way, it solves my problem of having to declare the C on my form!
pandayum
Without trying to sound really bullish or overconfident, I think I can do well enough to get into some of the better universities. I was predicted all As for AS, and am predicted the same for A2 - it's my own fault that I did badly, purely because I didn't revise enough. I can understand that this has a negative effect on my university application, but I do honestly believe that I can achieve those grades.

Having confidence can only be a good thing. :wink:
As you will have your AS grades down as Pending and be predicted all As in A2, that will help your application as well.
I still worry for you about LSE as I've heard they put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs, but if you are as good as you say, you will be given a chance to show it at the interviews for the other Unis.
In any case, good luck with your application. :smile:
@Ploop: Can't you get your teachers to predict you 3 As?
Ploop
Others have asked and the answer has been a resounding 'no'.

The frustrating thing is it's in a subject about technique as well, which I can hopefully rectify! I've resigned myself to looking away from that course now, but I may ask him again next week when he's hopefully softened up.

Oh OK. If you do ask him again, make sure you see him privately so it doesn't put any pressure on him to predict others an A as well. And it wouldn't do any harm if you worked really hard in his lessons, do fantastic homework, and generally 'suck up' to him a bit until then. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending