The Student Room Group

Work experience at law firms

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My work experience was at a law firm in Southampton, and I really enjoyed it.

I secured a few offers - so it's not impossible! I spent ages crafting a polished CV and exploiting any contacts as much as I could.

Although I occasionally made tea and did photocopying, I spent most of the time drafting legal arguments with the lawyers, learning legal skills like note-taking (only stranger) and being in Crown Court!

Definitely worth it! By ALL means give it a shot.
i know a guy that works at freshfields law firm, and I convinced him to tell his colleagues to give me work experience yaay..
Anyone can go to a crown court and just watch a few trials, if you're interested in becoming a Barrister that could be really interesting - obviously it's not work experience so not for you ucas form/cv or anything, but they don't use legal jargon because the jury aren't lawyers, so you'll be able to understand everything!
Reply 23
when i was in yr 10, i did a week's work experience at a local crown court which was great! didnt even do any photocopying or anything...they taught me loads about the law system and other law related jobs!

Im in yr 12 now and need to look for work shadowing/ more work experience again....i want to go to a law firm in london or something and my sister actually found on off the internet herself without having any connections...so does anyone know of any good firms that do work experience schemes?
Well, I know Matrix Chambers has a programme for Sixth Form students, even if you don't intend to be a Barrister, it's a pretty awesome thing to get on that programme. 11KBW Chambers also does something similar.

As far as I remember, Pinsent Masons and Addleshaw Goddard had some kind of programme to give shadowing experience to schoolchildren, so you might want to look into that further.
Reply 25
Hey
do you know any solicitors that do work experience for year 10
Reply 26
does anyone know any solicitors in London that offer work experience
Original post by Justjada
Hey
do you know any solicitors that do work experience for year 10

Ring up some local high street firms and ask the question.

If you're nervous about doing that then you could email- but you may not get a reply.

I did my work exp with our family's solicitor- the personal connection obviously helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Try writing a letter to a law firm like for example freshfields , international, &i think its a top law firm.
Theres a freshfields on fleet street in London and i'm hoping to start work experience there also.
Reply 29
Original post by Britnie
Try writing a letter to a law firm like for example freshfields , international, &i think its a top law firm.
Theres a freshfields on fleet street in London and i'm hoping to start work experience there also.

Hope I have helped , hope i'm not too late x_x:smile:
Reply 30
I worked in a law chamber for a period of 8 months and now I'm going to apply for LLM program in an university. But I don't know the term to put in my work experience letter even my senior lawyer confused too. He wants to put 'Pupil' and I wanted to put 'Legal Assistant'. Would anyone please help me in deciding ??? Please
Your post is a bit confusing. If you actually worked, as in had an actual job, then you should put the role described on your contract .

If you were actually a pupil surely you would know??? Who is your 'senior lawyer'??

It sounds like you know what you should put really - I can't see how you could work somewhere for eight months without figuring out a title for yourself - you must have made some phone or sent some emails - what was on your email signature? Isn't this your job position?
Reply 32
your mum is at the back of my queue
[shut up
Reply 34
i think they have to do work experience because of the school, this is what we do in year 10..
any law student here that is in the last year please contact me on 07581135091 my name is piter
Right now a im in yr 9 and in september i will be in yr 10 trought out the las year i've been studying law in eastlea community school (citycenship) I've been learning a lot the last year thats why i would like to do my work expierience in a law offive
Uhm maybe you try to actually answer the question next time
Reply 38
Can you tell me what you did for your work experience, because I am a but stuck, I really want to go to a law firm?
Original post by t kay13
Before we start i am aware that this is probably in the wrong place, yet i though that if anybody would be qualified to answer my question it would be you.
I am in year 10 and for several years i have been interesting in a career in law. Preferably an international lawyer or failing that a corprate solicitor. However, this year i am also doing my work experience. I was wondering, how likely is it that i would be able to get work experience at a top london law firm. If this would be completely out of the question could you please post some suggestions for me. Remember, i am very interested in a career in law.

In the summer of Year 11 I applied to a placement at a barristers chamber 'Matrix Chambers'. I didn't make any cups of tea throughout the week and I was always busy. I was able to attend court everyday and conduct research, learn more about the different parts of the chambers and some legal related tasks :smile:. They're very oversubscribed and have filled all the vacancies for 2018. But I would recommend going on a placement in Year 11:

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/recruitment/work-experience/

They also have a blog, which has the different experiences of work experience placements from students.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending