The Student Room Group

Need some advice

I just started sixth form and I picked sociology, maths, chemistry and biology. My problem is I've heard a lot of the top unis don't accept sociology as a valid A level for qualification. Now I still got time to change it, my other options are German and ICT but I was wondering if there was any truth in that and if so what other subject you would recommend.

My other question is about the Duke of Edinburgh award, is it worth taking it and does it help you with qualification into a good university. Thanks guys all help is appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
Sociology is a less-respected subject, yes, however, given that you have three other academically rigorous subjects, then having Sociology as a 4th will be fine if thats the 4th AS you'd rather study. Just ensure that, if you drop a subject at the end of the 1st year, you drop Sociology if you seek entry into a "top" university - given your subject choices it would imply you want to do something perhaps Scientific anyway (or Law...).

As for the DOE - its always a good thing to put on UCAS, so if you don't mind doing it, then yu should! It'll be fun anyway!! :smile:
Reply 2
Sociology isn't the most respected subject, but unis won't exclude it from your offer. Your other subjects are fine.

If you did wanna change it, go for German as languages are always good. But there's not really any need to change. :smile:
Reply 3
I read ICT wasn't very respected either, and that computing was the respected one of the two.
Reply 4
^ I think that generally, computer related subjects are only worth taking if you want to carry it on at uni.

but that's just my assumption.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to stick with it and possibly drop it at the end of the year. I may as well do DOE too since I don't mind it.
u might as well do german which is better than socio

ICT is the worst of the lot dont bother...

but u only need 3 a levels btw to get into uni... so no sweat. :biggrin:
vixky!
^ I think that generally, computer related subjects are only worth taking if you want to carry it on at uni.

but that's just my assumption.

Yep, but even then, if you want to do something like Computer Science at Uni, having A Level maths is usually much preffered than only a computer/computing A Level...

...anyway...moving this thread over to the A Level forum :smile:

Latest