The Student Room Group

help- can't get a job/confidence!!

sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this becomes a long rant...

well i'm really struggling get a job, I just finished college and theres no opportunity to go any further with my chosen career path, in my area yet, except voluntary work (which I am going to do). Well the thing is I really cant seem to get a job, i'm looking into waitressing in pubs etc and retail but have no experience in this. And it doesnt help that I look and sound really young :frown:

when ive rang about jobs that ive seen advertised, I get asked all the time 'how old are you sugar?' and they say because you sound really young. :mad: i'm fed up, i'm so shy and quiet and dont know how to come across as more confident and older.

Please can anyone give me some tips on this? (i dont think i'm ever going to get a job at this rate) and reasons I can say for wanting the job when it doesnt actually relate to the course I did etc :redface:
Reply 1
i'm in the exact same situation, struggling to find a job and i'm not paticulary confident either, and have no experience. However, all I can say is that keep applying and ringing for jobs as all the interviews and interaction will give you more practise and hopefully build up your confidence. Also ask for feedback if you don't get the job, as this will give you something to focus on.

Might be worth moving this to H & R, as its a confidence issue and might get more help there, as your problem isn't necessarily related to careers. :smile:
wow even your username says it! lol.

It doesn't matter if you look and sound young - you are old enough to do it. Just accept that you are that way but remember at the same time you are eligible to be getting a proper job. See it this way, even though you don't have any experience, its the same for lots of other people. If you know you're good enough to take on the job then just go for it - you're always gonna get rejected at some point. Doesn't mean everyone will reject you. But what I can say is don't phone or ask or whatever expecting to be rejected - most likely you will if you do that.

Hope you get a good job. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending