The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
gordon2002
I thought you did play the guitar:confused: , hence guitar society....

just saw this post, i do play a tyype of guitar, bass guitar. :biggrin:
Don't discriminate against the bass now, it's just as good!
Happy Cycling
Don't discriminate against the bass now, it's just as good!

I wasn't.

She gave the impression she didnt play the guitar (include bass!), but I think we just got our wires crossed
gordon2002
I need new strings for one of my acoustics, but how am I supposed to know the size of the gauge?

cheers

You could take a string to your local guitar shop and ask if they can help you out. Or just buy a whole set of new strings since they're not particularly expensive.
BloodyValentine
Or just buy a whole set of new strings since they're not particularly expensive.

no, that's the problem, I don't know the gauge length
G4ry
Do you know of any good places on the internet that has some i can practise? I've seen a few around, but they only cover the majors and the others tend to have graphical representations which start getting confusiing.

If you give me a while, I can dig out some exercises I give to my pupils. I just have to sort through my messy excuse for a filing system before I can get them to you. :biggrin:
How much do you reckon it would cost to buy 24 medium Gibson picks?
Anyone know any good songs for practicing barre chords?
cheers
How much do you reckon it would cost to buy 24 medium Gibson picks?

£8.40 from Strings Direct: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=315

If you learn the barre chord versions of regular chords then you can play through any song with them and it will sound right.
Good. I got it for £7 inc p&p off ebay.

That's a good idea.
I'll convert the songs I already know into barre chords.
Cheers
yea great society!!!!
I started learning guitar in yr 7 but had a few years of not really doing much then i started again about 2 years ago, i learnt on steel string acoustic and recently got an electric.

If i had to say a few of my fave guitar pieces in songs it'd be november rain, my sharona, suck my kiss and wattershed.

Fave guitarists are dave grohl, slash, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Paige, Eddie Van Halen, John Frusciante, jack white, jack black and Berton Averre (to name a few)
Reply 231
Dr. Blazed
If you give me a while, I can dig out some exercises I give to my pupils. I just have to sort through my messy excuse for a filing system before I can get them to you. :biggrin:

Cool...thanks; it's appreciated. I might just go practise some scales for the time being with a metronome.
hi. this is alright. my guitar is next to me atm. It's a Jackson. Nice, eh? I call it Janet. Erm yeah..I play mostly metal and a bit of jazz - u know, old metallica (pre-black album there's a couple of alright songs on that album though), pantera, dream theater, maiden, sabbath, pink floyd. And my favourite guitarists are John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and John McLaughlin is a God. Anyway, I wanna start a band, anyone wanna join? :biggrin:
icecreamman
I wanna start a band, anyone wanna join? :biggrin:

A band of online guitarists, hmm........ that could work:rolleyes:
I guess it might involve people posting things... :biggrin:
cheers

An barre exercise i got given was (in tab)

5 5 3 3
7 5 5 3
7 7 5 4
5 7 4 5
5 6 3 4
5 5 3 3

then since it's late and i have work tomorrow an F (barre the first same shape as the G which is the 3rd chord you play then a Bm7 then an E then repeat ad infinitum). If you don't know how to play a bm7 pm me and i'll do it in tomorrow (i'm assuming you know the E) but if you fiddle with those notes or look it up on a tab website you can turn those notes into i will survive which is far more entertaining than just an exercise unfortunately i can't remember and i don't have a guitar to hand to work it out.
Reply 236
whats the most expensive acoustic guitar u have ever seen?

seen one from spain, a flamenco one that cost about 750 euros, but thats about it from where i live there isnt really much musical activities goin on.. :smile:
lp999
whats the most expensive acoustic guitar u have ever seen?

seen one from spain, a flamenco one that cost about 750 euros, but thats about it from where i live there isnt really much musical activities goin on.. :smile:

Hmm, there are acoustics that cost an absolute fortune. The Sound Control in Birmingham has a special edition Taylor which is £4,500 if I can remember correctly. Taylor guitars are damn expensive anyway, the average Taylor goes for £1,500.
Reply 238
hmm thats real, and i mean really, expensive.. who would spend that much on an acoustic? well yeah.. maybe :wink:
My guitar teacher has a £1,500 Takamine electro-acoustic and it is so good to play.

Latest