The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it needs a reasonable amount of members before it is officially recognised. But so far so good, eh?
Reply 21
Hey, so, what sort of things do people like to play? Myself, as stated, I like to play nice acoustic songs, although I'm getting more and more into the lead-stuff on the electric guitar.

So, while I like to play acoustic songs such as Your House my Jimmy Eat World, I also like attempting the fiddly-bits on the Zephyr Song by Red Hot Chili's on my electric guitar...

Anyone else feel the same?
Reply 22
Fender Tele
I've been playing for about 6 years
Jonny Greenwood Rocks
Reply 23
Hmmm, Are the Squire or Fender Guitars any good.

My guitar legend is everyones guitar legend, how could you people not mention Santana? His recent colaberations are the best. Top notch over the past few years

I own a beat up thing with plastic strings that I can't play, though it is my favourite possesion.

My Brother likes guitars and he's thinking of splashing out on a Taylor or Gibson guitar. I know I'd have it more than he did. But thats only a remote possiblity of him accually buying it
Reply 24
UnaChance
Hmmm, Are the Squire or Fender Guitars any good.

My guitar legend is everyones guitar legend, how could you people not mention Santana? His recent colaberations are the best. Top notch over the past few years

I own a beat up thing with plastic strings that I can't play, though it is my favourite possesion.

My Brother likes guitars and he's thinking of splashing out on a Taylor or Gibson guitar. I know I'd have it more than he did. But thats only a remote possiblity of him accually buying it

Fenders are generally right up there with Gibson, I think. My little brother owns a Fender, which I steal to practise my electric stuff on, and it's a pretty reliable and solid guitar. Had it set up as well, so the action's quite low, which is cool for lead stuff. So yeah, if you were out to buy an electric, then Fenders are probably the way to go :biggrin:
Mmm, Taylor :yy:. But the price of them :thumpdown
Reply 26
Happy Cycling
I think it needs a reasonable amount of members before it is officially recognised. But so far so good, eh?

yeah, it's doing well..... hopefully it'll be added soon
Reply 27
A_Singh
Hey, so, what sort of things do people like to play? Myself, as stated, I like to play nice acoustic songs, although I'm getting more and more into the lead-stuff on the electric guitar.

So, while I like to play acoustic songs such as Your House my Jimmy Eat World, I also like attempting the fiddly-bits on the Zephyr Song by Red Hot Chili's on my electric guitar...

Anyone else feel the same?

Well I like all types really.... got an electric-acoustic, electric and an acoustic. I play blues, eric clapton and classical stuff on my acoustic, and on my electic I like stuff like jimmi hendrix purple haze- I just love that solo part! I couldn't play originally, but it's quite easy now once you get the hang of it. Great song
Reply 28
gordon2002
Well I like all types really.... got an electric-acoustic, electric and an acoustic. I play blues, eric clapton and classical stuff on my acoustic, and on my electic I like stuff like jimmi hendrix purple haze- I just love that solo part! I couldn't play originally, but it's quite easy now once you get the hang of it. Great song

I haven't heard it, I'm afraid. My uncle was appalled (rightly so!) when I told him this christmas that I hadn't heard anything by Jimi Hendrix, so he made me import a CD by him onto my laptop. It's called "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" or something, and it's quite good, I guess, if you like guitar. Unfortunately, Purple Haze doesn't feature on the album, so I can't offer my opinion on the song lol.
Reply 29
Taylors are really expensive, which is V upseting
Reply 30
A_Singh
I haven't heard it, I'm afraid. My uncle was appalled (rightly so!) when I told him this christmas that I hadn't heard anything by Jimi Hendrix, so he made me import a CD by him onto my laptop. It's called "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" or something, and it's quite good, I guess, if you like guitar. Unfortunately, Purple Haze doesn't feature on the album, so I can't offer my opinion on the song lol.

ARG!!!! whats wrong with you!!! you should know this stuff. its music history, man!!! tisk tisk....your uncle is right.
I feel like **** that i didnt mention santana. sorry.
Other 'old' bands and singers you should know range from Neil Young (please download if you dont know) to Crosby, Stills Nash & Young and Greatful Dead, led Zeppelin, the doors,the who.... These are classics...great guitar solos. Stevie Ray Vaughn? forgot.
Anyways..since im not that good playing im now learning Bob Dylan stuff...its relativeley easy and helps me practice. i also recently learned Wish you were here by pink floyd. its great. playing right now.
Reply 31
A_Singh

:eek: Your uncle rules....
Purple haze is sooo good, download it!
Reply 32
Georgia
ARG!!!! whats wrong with you!!! you should know this stuff. its music history, man!!! tisk tisk....your uncle is right.
I feel like **** that i didnt mention santana. sorry.
Other 'old' bands and singers you should know range from Neil Young (please download if you dont know) to Crosby, Stills Nash & Young and Greatful Dead, led Zeppelin, the doors,the who.... These are classics...great guitar solos. Stevie Ray Vaughn? forgot.
Anyways..since im not that good playing im now learning Bob Dylan stuff...its relativeley easy and helps me practice. i also recently learned Wish you were here by pink floyd. its great. playing right now.

Haha, I know, disgraceful isn't it? I've heard of most of those bands you mentioned, but almost nothing by them. I can play Hey Hey, My My by Neil Young, but I've never actually heard the song otherwise lol, or anything by him. I have a couple of songs by Bob Dylan, but neither of them really caught my fancy. I don't download music either, so I have no other "easy" access to stuff :frown:

--------------

gordon2002
:eek: Your uncle rules....
Purple haze is sooo good, download it!

Haha, like I said I don't download music (illegally). But if you think it's worth 79p, then maybe I'll buy it from iTunes...? :biggrin:
Reply 33
I play the Classical Guitar (ABRSM Grade 7)
Optimistic

Wow. That stuff is hard, harder than electric guitar grades IMO (I'm doing grade 8 LCM/RGT/somethingorother). I used to play classical but I didn't do any grades. Still, it taught me how to read music, which I'm proud of.
Reply 35
Optimistic

mmmm.....classical guitar. I like. what do you play on it?

--------------

Happy Cycling
Wow. That stuff is hard, harder than electric guitar grades IMO (I'm doing grade 8 LCM/RGT/somethingorother). I used to play classical but I didn't do any grades. Still, it taught me how to read music, which I'm proud of.

I know how to read music as well!!!! im proud also. its incredible the amount of people that play an instrument but that do not know how to read notes, only tabs.
Reply 36
Georgia

I know how to read music as well!!!! im proud also. its incredible the amount of people that play an instrument but that do not know how to read notes, only tabs.

Haha, my guitar instructor tells me the same thing. He's starting to teach me how to sight-read, which is cool, I guess. Can definitely see how difficult it is, so respect to you if you can do it lol. I guess it comes with practise, as with most other things about guitar...
Reply 37
yeah, it is difficult..... It still takes me a while to play music from a book when I'm first learning. But there's always tablature, but tabs don't tell you length of notes etc...
Reply 38
gordon2002
yeah, it is difficult..... It still takes me a while to play music from a book when I'm first learning. But there's always tablature, but tabs don't tell you length of notes etc...

Too true. Tabs are damned useful though - and I'm glad sites such as ultimate-guitar.com and fretplay.com exist, because I've learned a lot from them. Different shapes of chords, and of course different songs... If you have the song it makes it easier, because then you can judge for yourself the strum pattern/duration of a note.

So, sure they don't tell you everything... but I think there should be three cheers for tabs!

Hip Hip!
Reply 39
gordon2002

Even though its cool to read notes i prefer tabs because a G, for example, could be anywhere. The tabs tells you where, not the notes. The best place to learn songs from is the tab books where you have the notes and the tabs...they are bloody expensive though!

Latest