The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is there a massive difference between playing bass to ordinary electric guitar?
If possible i'd like to play both.

Who thinks bass is better anyhow?
It's harder work on the fingers, which is beneficial because when you go back to the guitar all the frets feel so close together. The biggest difference really is the technique, the notes are still the same so it is easier to get to grips with if you have played guitar BUT playing the bass like a guitar is silly.
I personally enjoy playing bass a lot, so I like to steal my sister's one whenever possible.
Reply 82
TommyD

Bass i think is a whole lot easier than guitar as you're only playing one note at a time, thats why i like it lol!

I deff think bass is better than guitar tho lol, so much cooler :cool:
Slap bass is hard work! But so cool!
Reply 84
Has anyone got any experience of cheaper Ibanez's (Particularly the RG321) I'm in the market for an electric and this one appeals to me. I know i need to try it out some time, but for now i've read some reviews and they seem quite good - so any other opinions?
Reply 85
Happy Cycling
Slap bass is hard work! But so cool!

ooh yeh i loooove slap bass! Sounds sooo cool! :biggrin:
Reply 86
TommyD

You see I think that the bass sounds amazing but it works so much better within a band...playing bass by yourself is nice but only to a certain extent. There is no singer and bass player by themselves.
Reply 87
Yeah i thought so.
Theres only so much you can do with a bassline i guess. Guitar solos are the way to go.

An amp for £120?
Is the Marshall 30w the one to go for?
WTF?

only one note at a time?

Only so much you can do with a bassline?

You people have to listen to Billy Sheehan on a Mr Big or Dave Lee Roth album..
Reply 89
Wanderlust
WTF?

only one note at a time?

Only so much you can do with a bassline?

You people have to listen to Billy Sheehan on a Mr Big or Dave Lee Roth album..

I don't know as much as you seem to about guitars etc, but I think you're right when you say there's more to a bass-guitarist...

I think, once I feel that I'm "good" enough at the guitar, I'll pick up the bass. I hear it's a lot easier if you can already play the guitar, especially if you can finger pick etc etc. Definitely more to it than a single bass-line... anyone listen to Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers? That dude is decent!
Reply 90
A_Singh
anyone listen to Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers? That dude is decent!

I'm no bass player, but that sounds pretty crazy
Reply 91
how often do all you guitarists practise and what kind of practise do you do?

i try to do at least half technique and half songs (usually with a metronome) but i usually end up sitting there trying to add more to the songs etc - in fact i try to avoid practising the things i find boring lol - like dominant seventh arpeggios
Reply 92
gordon2002
I'm no bass player, but that sounds pretty crazy

Lol crazy-good, or crazy-bad? Surely no one can deny that he's a top bass guitarist...surely...?
Reply 93
i reckon he meant crazy as in good, no one could ever say he was a bad bassist.

I miss my bass i left it at school :frown:
Reply 94
ninetails
how often do all you guitarists practise and what kind of practise do you do?

i try to do at least half technique and half songs (usually with a metronome) but i usually end up sitting there trying to add more to the songs etc - in fact i try to avoid practising the things i find boring lol - like dominant seventh arpeggios

To be honest, I just try and learn as many songs as I can. The rhythm stuff that I've been doing (dots and ties and what not) I find those pretty easy so far, so I pretty much leave those to lessons. I play all my favourite songs that I can manage, as often as possible. Only other thing to practise is basic dynamics.

But, yes, obviously I'm still a beginner, having been playing for only nine months haha.
Playing songs is a good way to practice technique in context, and it is certainly more interesting than just playing exercise upon exercise. However you need to choose songs which will push you a bit, even if you can't play them immediately.

That said, exercises are vital for building up knowledge and fluency, and are vital if you intend to really develop as a player. You need your scales and chords for improvisation, and your patterns to give you super fast muscley fingers.

Like mine :biggrin:
cokebraider
Nothing to do with the thread... is your name anything to do with Boards of Canada?

Yes! You're actually the first person to notice that...

...which makes you super-cool. :yy:
Reply 97
Ok, i'm going to ask again sorry to anyone that's already read this. Just been thinking about getting an electric and just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Cheaper Ibanez's (particularly the RG321). I was also just looking around at prices and saw 7 strings weren't that much more so has anyone played one or able to say if it's much of a step up from 6 string.
Hi, Could I join this society?
Okay Ive been learning for 3 months now. I can play basic chords, g, c, a ... I can also do barre chords, where do I go from here?

Also I have problems holding the pick, it always falls out of my hand after a minute of so, and sometimes in falls in the guitar hole, which is really annoying to get out.

I'm planning on getting an electric guitar. What do you guys think of this, as I am only starting out:

Crafter Cruiser ST120 Guitar Starter Pack - Sunburst
http://www.marksmusic.co.uk/acatalog/Guitar_Starter_Packages.html

Also I found a vid of this guy playing the mario bros song on the guitar, really cool!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4419096871496468139&q=guitar
Are crafter guitars any good? Compared to the likes of fender, gibson...

Latest