The Student Room Group

Rant!!

Ok i got into uni unexpectedly, to do a course that i really wanted to do, (OT) yippeee you would think!

Id have thought my family and friends would be dead chuffed for me.. well iv spent most of my time basically justifying my decision to everyone, who says can u afford it? will you stick it out? will you get a job at the end?

I will admit i have had a very varied working career and even did uni before, 5 years ago mind u so i have grown up since then, however at the time i didnt get my full degree so graduated with a university diploma.

Im older now and have worked for 5 years, so iv got much more life experience!

cant people be happy for me? im getting fed up of having to explain myself to everyone!!!

ok rant over.. anyone else having similiar problems??
I have had similar problems in the past.

With the first degree I attempted, I convinced everyone that I would do well and stay the length of the course. Unfortunately, things did not work out, and I left after 3 months. :frown:

It has been substantially more difficult convincing my family that I am going to stay at university this time around. Question after question has been fired at me. I quite understand their concern. I definitely do not want to drop out a second time!

Assure people that you have put a lot of thought into your decision to return to university, particularly as you are going to be studying a course that you know that you will enjoy.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
I can think of a number of people who had a lot of difficulty with the fact that I was applying to study OT, never mind the fact that I got in.

I had a lot of objections along the lines of, 'you should study maths/physics/natural sciences' (basically anything traditional/not OT). Also, 'where are you going to end up with that?' :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't listen (and glad I wasn't 18, so I could stand up to them better). I counted down the days until I could leave basically :wink: (college, I'm not talking about my family here).

That said, having a good support network is really important for those times that you're despairing over origins/insertions/actions/blood supply/innervations, or when you're struggling on placement (doesn't have to be family though :smile: ).
Well, my gran thinks that having babies is the most important and wonderful thing a girl can do, so although she takes an interest in what I'm doing it is not quite important enough for her to brag about to her friends!

It is quite hurtful at times especially when she rabbits on about my feckless cousin who got his girlfriend pregnant, but who can't hold down a job for more than two minutes at a time and cost his company £30,000 worth of lost production because of a stupid stunt he did, but is now the most wonderful person on the planet. Huh! Heaven help me when his sister has her baby as well!

I could get a first class degree, have the best job in the world, the biggest house and the most money but the only thing that would impress her would be if I got pregnant! Even if it was from a one night stand round the back of the pub with a complete stranger! It takes all sorts to make a world, doesn't it?
Reply 4
Yep, families are a funny bunch. I always wanted to be a vet, but my mother thought that I was over stretching myself. So I thought of nursing, again my mother thought that I would faint at the sight of blood and not be able to cope with the work load ( I was 12 years old ffs:mad: ) I was always very good at art, though I didnt enjoy it that much and I think she was upset that I didnt want to become an artist. So I decided to not bother at school and took up smoking in the girls loos:confused: and then get a Y.T.S thingy in hair and beauty.
This time round, I looked into what I wanted to do, for me and not for anyone else. My mom still isnt impressed though and has told me that I am selfish inbeing at uni, as I have a husband and children:redface: this really comes as no suprise to me though, considering the time she told me I should loose weight or my hubby would be looking elsewhere ( I had just had my 2nd baby just a month before:confused: )
You only live once, if you try it and dont like it, then hey ho, so not worth stressing over. Families tend to make us feel much more guilty than they need to, dont they.
Jingle, im sure your nan is proud of you really, its harder for that generation as a female because that is what has been instilled into them from a young age. I bet deep down she wishes she had the chance to do something like you :smile: xxxx
Reply 5
They'll come round when they see it is the right thing for you to be doing
Reply 6
im glad im not the only one then!

i cant wait to start but i know money will be tight, but i also know im older and wiser now and realise money is important and ill work 2 part time jobs if i need to!

thats my biggest worry!
It may be worth having a look to see what jobs are available before you start university, particularly those that are located either in the university or very close by.

Latest