The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Katherine, dude, it's fine lol :p:. Loads of people did what you've done and the good news is:
1.) You can still declare your AS grades through UCAS and any improvements will contribiute towards your overall A-Level results.
2.) Even if your resit grade is worse than your original one, the best mark is what's kept. So hey, what's the harm in trying?

P.s. It's not too late either, you have until Thursday to change your mind.
Reply 21
J-Curve
I don't get it - I never actually had to decline may AS grades...

If you haven't declined anything it's because, like you said, you're continuing with every subject at A2. All you have to do is declare the best AS grade for each subject you sat.
Reply 22
ok, so if my AS subjects (that I wish to carry on) haven't been declared, then I can decline them? To be honest, I don't think my grades have been cashed in and it's my school's policy to not cash-in the grades apart from the one you've dropped. At least I hope that's the case.
Mr_Deeds, can't thank you enough in reassuring me! lol ^_^

But I STILL dunno why my subject and form tutor both said it was the wrong thing to do? That's still at the back of my mind... oh well.
Reply 24
Katherine_L
But I STILL dunno why my subject and form tutor both said it was the wrong thing to do? That's still at the back of my mind... oh well.

It's because resits generally mean a lot of extra work, some teachers prefer students not to resit and to just focus their efforts on the A2. If you manage your time properly and work hard then you're definitely doing the right thing. I was advised not to do this following my January results but I'm glad I did because I managed to gain quite a few extra marks. Seriously, it'll not impact you whatsoever, you can declare what you've already got to universities and if you do better at resit then good, it'll make A-Level all that little bit more manageable.

Aristoteles, if your school does have a policy of not cashing-in grades (most don't) then you will be able to leave the grades as pending. Otherwise all of them, even the ones you're resitting (except Maths) will have to be declared.
Reply 25
I didn't decline because we were never told it was possible. The problem is that the original exams have been certified...
Reply 26
J-Curve
I didn't decline because we were never told it was possible. The problem is that the original exams have been certified...

That's fine, it happens all the time, your resit results will replace them, unless the original mark was higher. Don't panic, all you have to declare is the best result for each subject.
Reply 27
Katherine_L
I made the wrong decision didn't I? Gawd, I think I'm gonna cry.. it's too late now, there's nothing I can do :s-smilie:

If you apply to top universities, then it will look suspicious to them and they will know that you are re-taking. However, what you could have done, which is what I did is to decline ALL your AS grade. That way, they will all appear as pending and the admission tutors will think it's the school's policy to decline all the AS grades and only supply an overall A2, or that you take all your exams at the end of the second year.
Reply 28
I think I'll be doing that as well, if my grades haven't already been declared (which I hope not).
Reply 29
I'm so confused!! If your re-taking a module and you don't decline can you put pending on the ucas form?
In an attempt to clear up all this confusion (they don't like to make the system easy to understand, do they??):

1) If your AS grades have been cashed in, your statement of results will look like this:

Geography 248/300 A (a)
Unit 1 103/120
Unit 2 74/90
Unit 3 71/90

2) If your AS grades haven't been cashed in, your statement of results will look like this:
Geography Unit 1 103/120
Geography Unit 2 74/90
Geography Unit 3 71/90

3) If your AS grades have been cashed in, you have to put them on your UCAS form unless you decline them.

4) If your AS grades haven't been cashed in, you can't put them down, so they all go as pending.

5) You don't have to decline an AS grade to resit if you're continuing to A2 because although your AS grade won't change, your new marks (if they're better) will go towards your final A-level grade.

6) You do have to decline an AS grade to resit if you're dropping the subject.

7) All the subjects you're carrying on to A2 go as pending in the A-level section of the form.
Reply 31
kellywood_5
In an attempt to clear up all this confusion (they don't like to make the system easy to understand, do they??):

1) If your AS grades have been cashed in, your statement of results will look like this:

Geography 248/300 A (a)
Unit 1 103/120
Unit 2 74/90
Unit 3 71/90

2) If your AS grades haven't been cashed in, your statement of results will look like this:
Geography Unit 1 103/120
Geography Unit 2 74/90
Geography Unit 3 71/90.

Now why didn't I put it that simply? Lol :p:
Reply 32
yvonnay
I'm so confused!! If your re-taking a module and you don't decline can you put pending on the ucas form?

If you haven't declined the grade you have to state it.
Reply 33
kellywood_5

Geography 248/300 A (a)
Unit 1 103/120
Unit 2 74/90
Unit 3 71/90

Geography Unit 1 103/120
Geography Unit 2 74/90
Geography Unit 3 71/90

3) If your AS grades have been cashed in, you have to put them on your UCAS form unless you decline them.

4) If your AS grades haven't been cashed in, you can't put them down, so they all go as pending.

5) You don't have to decline an AS grade to resit if you're continuing to A2 because although your AS grade won't change, your new marks (if they're better) will go towards your final A-level grade.

6) You do have to decline an AS grade to resit if you're dropping the subject.

7) All the subjects you're carrying on to A2 go as pending in the A-level section of the form.

These are the only two points that confuse me. So in 3) are you just telling us to put down the AS subjects on the ucas form (which is obvious), or do you mean the grades? Since in 7) you say they'll go as pending on the UCAS forum? Or are you referring to the one you drop at A2? Sorry.

When you had your results slip did it have an overall grade and your UMS, i.e. Maths 231 UMS (B) or did it just state your UMS mark, i.e. Maths 231 UMS? If it has your overall grade and your UMS then your school/college has automatically cashed-in your result and as you're carrying all onto A2, you must declare your results on the UCAS form.

That's odd, because only one of my subject (business studies) has an overall grade. The rest haven't, they just have ums marks. :\ So does that mean only one of my subject has been cashed in, but the rest haven't? :\

Edit: on the back it says:

"THIS CANDIDATE STATEMENT OF PROVISIONAL RESULTS IS NOT A CERTIFICATE. AQA reserves the right to amend the information on the Candidate Statement of Provisional Results. A GCE certificate confirming the result(s) will be issues where appropriate in due course."

Are they just referring to the certificate you receive at the end of your A-levels?
Reply 34
A-level and AS are two separate sections on the UCAS form. What Kelly is saying is if you've not declined your AS grades you have to state them under AS (point 3 and as mentioned above). Point 7 is that under the A-Level section you don't state any grades for any modules, you just state what subjects you've carried onto A2; in this respect univesities know what to base their offers on.
Reply 35
oh ok that's cleared up now, what about my statement of results? lol It can't be that only one subject is cashed in whilst the rest aren't??

edit: so regardless of what I choose to do with my AS grades (of the subjects I'm continuing with) e.g. if I don't decline them, they will still be put as pending on the ucas form? But didn't they change it this year?
Reply 36
That is kind of weird, probably more feasible if you sat Business with a separate exam board.
Reply 37
Maths was with OCR
Business Studies and Art were with AQA
Philosophy was with Edexcel
Reply 38
If I remember rightly, you didn't sit any Art exams, so it probably is a case of Business Studies being cashed-in because it's with AQA. Again, just to be safe, clarify this with your exams officer.
Reply 39
But is that possible, to only have certain subjects cashed in from a certain exam body?

And if your AS grades are not entered in the A-level section of your ucas form, then why is there an option of A,B,C,D,E (+ pending)? And if you put pending for your A-level subject, do you put the individual module grades as pending as well, or do you put down the grade you received for each of them?

Lastly, if you were in my position, what would you do? Would you decline your AS results for the subjects you wish to continue, or do something else (considering the bad AS results, which you don't want to be displayed on your ucas form)?

Latest

Trending

Trending