The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How easy is it to get to clifton moor/vue cinema?

I currently work for vue so am going to see if i can transfer down whilst I'm at uni, so that I can have some cash but I'm just wondering whether it would be easy to get to from the university. I had a look on a route planner and it seemed pretty simple I just need to change from a 4 bus to a 6 at some stage. However it would take me about an hour to get there, does anyone know how much a taxi would cost me? I'm just quite wary about getting there/back as I know the hours will be mainly at night and as a girl on her own in a strange city it's quite worrying. Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
The university is the terminus of the route 4 bus, which goes south. Clifton Moor is the terminus of the route 6 bus, which goes north. It's far. And for a taxi you're looking at around £25 at least I reckon.
University of York
York
Reply 2
It is indeed quite far. You can get the number 6 just by walking 10mins out of uni on to Hull Road where the Number 6 stops. I think the last bus will be around 11pm though and once you have to sometimes pay for a Taxi (no chance of walking it more than once every so often and not really at night) it seems barely worth it?
Reply 3
here in leicester we only have to pay three pounds each for the taxi so maybe it'll be the same in York? It's just that i will really need the money and i've always found it hard to get a job. Do you think it's a really bad idea? Perhaps I should try it and if it doesn't work out I can always quit?
Reply 4
I worked at the Argos at Clifton Moor and the commute sucked, it could take up to 90 minutes on the bus during the day. It's about 7 miles from campus. Taxis are about £10 each way.

My advice is find someone who lives near you who's doing similar shifts and try and get lifts!
Reply 5
Clifton Moor is far... I've been there in the car and it seemed far then. Leicester isn't too far... could your parents not take you up on a Saturday/ you get the train and go get application forms at other places in town, apparently quite a few places are looking at the mo but by October they'll probably have someone already.
Reply 6
There'll be loads of places hiring in October as everyone will need Christmas staff. Don't worry about that, just make sure you get application forms back to them sharpish.
Vue really is too far for that far a journey to be worth it - you'll be spending too much on bus/taxi fares. There's a closer cinema in town which will probably be hiring, give them a go, or there'll be places in most retail shops in town.
Reply 7
Thanks for the help i decided to just ask them if i can come back to work at christmas etc and they said yes so i may just work all holiday to fund uni, i'll see how i feel.

Latest